First Aid Courses for 4x4ers

pugwash

there's a few first aiders i know of on here, but i'd really like to do some first aid training courses for myself (its been years since i was firts aid qualified). Does anyone know of a course that would be suitable for expedition and competitive use.

Its not really suitable to have a course that shows you how to stabilise an injury and wait for a ambulance to turn up when you are 1-2 days from an ambulance (which isn't impossible even in Europe- and certainly when you get to Russia/ Africa).

would also need to show you how to use a proper first responders kit (not a £10.99 first aid jobby). I'm guessing courses like this won't be cheap, and wont be short either.

If i find something useful would anyone else be interested in attending- perhaps get better value if 6-10 people were present?

Having been a red-cross qualified first aider in the past, I would be interested in becoming qualified again. The course I did was run by the red cross but it was specifically for our Scout Group Leaders and on our premises. It was to qualify as a first aider, rather than a first response course and was 4 days long, and needed renewing every 3 years (2 day course for renewal). Sadly I let it lapse after several renewals, but I suspect you are looking at something of at least that magnitude if not beyond.

I would be interested in what you and Mark come up with ;)

Cheers

Mark

Not sure what you do for employment, but have you discussed it with your employers? every workplace needs a first aider and it may be something they are willing to send you on and pay for?

lol bad timing

i'm currently self-unemployed- that is, i made myself redundant from my own business and currently live on my own wits (in very short supply at this time). i have organised first aid courses for my employees, but frankly HSE apporved courses aren't what i'm looking for- too much empthasis on getting an ambulance there and filling in the correct paperwrok rather than making sure somebody lives amongst difficult cirumstances.

I did a basic first aid course and then work sent me off for an industrial injuries course (lots of embedded and mashed up stuff) which has proved very very handy

IMHO any training is better than none, its kinda scary when theres no breathing going on and you cant find a pulse

we carry a reasonable first aid kit in a pelicase, the stock boxes are a waste of time and the kits useless if its been dunked, we supplement the kit with a leatherman, liquid skin, superglue and gaffer tape :)

hardly exhaustive but Im not a doctor and never will be one (I am a keen amateur gynaecologist though) :huh:

Not sure what you do for employment, but have you discussed it with your employers? every workplace needs a first aider and it may be something they are willing to send you on and pay for?

ditto this, in my previous position i got the basic training for fire fighting etc, i'm now currently on the first aid / stretcher team.

G

You could try these people,

http://www.prometheusmedical.co.uk/

They provided a Course/Technical support for the "Go 60" (Land Rover Employee Expedition).

It could be expensive, but they may be able to provide information on suitable First Aid Kits, & equipment.

They may be able to run a course suitable for your needs.

We found their training, & help invaluable.

Hi,

First of all you need to bookmark this page on Field Medicine from the RGS website

You can buy the RGS book here on Amazon

This PDF document will list all the contacts you will ever need for expedition and wilderness first aid training and medicine, in different locations around the country.

For kit, talk to Paul Fryer at SP Services He is a paramedic by profession and will design you a kit specific to your requirements and level of competence. This is a worthwhile investment for those rare occasions when things go wrong. In some countries such as Germany, carrying a first aid kid is a legal requiremnt, so you will need one anyway when driving over to me!

I am a Fellow at the RGS, so if I can assist you with anything else, please let me know.

Cheers,

Paul

Still do it Paul, also cover loads of other stuff as well - now do it for Beer Vouchers and a chance to take the mick out of BubbaPug

and my standard commission is the empty beer bottles as usual

paul

Not courses, but we recently made our own first aid kit up for the truck.

We also topped up our cycling/hiking kit and made a household kit up also. If I'm allowed to mention them, try www.firstaid4less.co.uk and a couple of items such as survival blankets were purchased of Ebay from ANGELSFIRST. I have no association with these, just found after lots of shopping around that these were the cheapest if you are buying in bulk. Between the two we managed to build ourselves three comprehensive kits for £40. We then bought some tupperware boxes for £2 (a 4.5litre one lives in the van under the passanger seat).

MUCH cheaper and much more relevant than anything I saw, even so-called "expedition first aid kits".

Ours just needs a new sterile kit packing before we leave.

My first aid and survival courses have all been done through work.

Done my basic and next weekend doing the advanced Cave Rescue first aid course. Main point of cave related injuries is the time and difficulty it may take to effect a rescue. No helicopters or ambulances for possibly days... should be a good foundation for expedition work. £15 if you want to sign your name on the cave rescue call out sheet Jim :D :D

lol bad timing

i'm currently self-unemployed- that is, i made myself redundant from my own business and currently live on my own wits (in very short supply at this time). i have organised first aid courses for my employees, but frankly HSE apporved courses aren't what i'm looking for- too much empthasis on getting an ambulance there and filling in the correct paperwrok rather than making sure somebody lives amongst difficult cirumstances.

Ah, well it was worth a try I guess!

hope you get it sorted anyway - I did mine through work (despite being turned green by the site of blood/ injuries etc) and it came in very useful when I came across a bus crash on the A1 a few years ago.

its something everyone should have IMO!