Dave's Birthday Bash at Slab Common 28th Dec 2008

Ryan

Our second event in December takes us back to Slab Common for a winter warmer and a get-away-from-Christmas-for-a-day day on 28th December 2008 between 10am and 4pm. This time it's Dave's Birthday Bash, named after our friendly yellow Ibex owner (he is TSD on this forum).

The site is made up of sand, sand and a bit more sand. Though, to be truthful, there is a bit more to it than that. There is powdery sand (if it hasn't been raining), sand solid enough to support the weight of a tank, some slightly squidgy sand that buries your foot, and "buried up to your belt" sand (which most of the time looks like the solid sand :lol: - just ask Jules!). There is heaps of parking space and this is a great site for spectators. Full details on our calender.

All the usual club rules and regs apply and you must already be a member to play. £25 per vehicle.

All profits we make from this day go to our current supported charity:

logo.png

The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Charity provides a vital service to the two counties yet relies entirely on voluntary donations. With increasing fuel and administration costs, it needs to raise more than £85,000 every month to succeed: that's almost £3000 every day. Between 1st July 2007 (when it went operational) and mid-October 2008, it had already flown over 1053 incidents. None of us know when we may need its help. Airborne within three minutes of a 999 call, the Air Ambulance can reach most of its operational area within fifteen minutes.

As you can see from November's play day, we had a bit of fun. There are also some videos

and
from previous outings.

OK, we're in (thanks to a fast respons from Ryan).

Can anybody recommend a good B&B in the area for Saturday and Sunday?

A good night's rest and a complete English breakfast is just what we need to keep us going for the weekend. :i-m_so_happy:

Greetz,

Filip

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless bump :ph34r:

Don't forget people - when you absolutely, positively, have to get away from Christmas, there's nothing quite like going out in weather that even brass monkeys would find difficult :blink: . Come and enjoy the wonders of north east Hampshire :lol: and experience the MOD's finest collection of different types of sand and mud.

The more trucks the merrier - all of the profits are going to a charity that could quite easily end up being close to all our hearts - the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Filip,

I'm afraid I don't know the area around Bordon. If you go to Hampshire Rights of Way Maps online you can have a look around the area. Type in Bordon to the search field and select Bordon, Whitehill CP when the option come up. You'll be looking for anything that is is highlighted in brown for byways open to all traffic. There appear to be a few short ones close to Bordon, with a few longer ones if you go a bit further afield. If you select the 'i' icon, then click on the brown line, it will confirm the status of the lane, however, wherever you go, be sure to check for traffic regulation orders at the start of the lanes. The lists on the site above are up-to-date or thereabouts, but a sign at the start of a lane should be definitive.

Ryan

Hi Filip,

I'm afraid I don't know the area around Bordon. If you go to Hampshire Rights of Way Maps online you can have a look around the area. Type in Bordon to the search field and select Bordon, Whitehill CP when the option come up. You'll be looking for anything that is is highlighted in brown for byways open to all traffic. There appear to be a few short ones close to Bordon, with a few longer ones if you go a bit further afield. If you select the 'i' icon, then click on the brown line, it will confirm the status of the lane, however, wherever you go, be sure to check for traffic regulation orders at the start of the lanes. The lists on the site above are up-to-date or thereabouts, but a sign at the start of a lane should be definitive.

Ryan

Thx Ryan!

I already checked that site, via a link on the shire forum. ;)

But if anybody local would be so kind to take us along, that would be just great! We won't mind travelling a bit either, good excuse to see a bit of the country.

See you on Sunday!

Filip

Splendid day. Thanks for organising.

Got stuck a few times, pulled a few others out so about even I recon.

Had to cut short in the end as the engine started playing up so limped it home. I'm suspecting the ignition amp but we will see tomorrow.

Steve