Van advice

bishbosh

I have won a welding bench off eblag. To get it home I am going to have to either borrow a trailer or hire a van.

I could probably borrow a suitable trailer, but will struggle to get a plate made up between now and then so I am interested in the van option.

The seller is confirming precise dimensions at the moment but it is approx 6' x 3'.

Anyone know of good hire places or any other clever ideas?

I would say you could borrow mine, I can still fit 8x4 sheets of ply on the floor, but I don't think it'd go in via the side door. Don't suppose that helps much.

Could help on the trailer front if needed, 10x5 (IIRC) Ifor-W 'builders' trailer.

Depends where you have to go Bish, I enjoy a run out to the country fuel paid. :) Cheaper than van hire if you fancy that option.

For the best van at the best price, try your local VW commercial dealer.

Chris

I don't know, I feel sorry for you Bish. People on here are so selfish, they're no help at offering advice or lending a hand at all. I'll tell you what, I'll step up - if you take one end I'll lift the other and we'll walk it to your place, so long as I'm not the one who has to walk backwards all the way. ;)

Where's Chipping wotsit?

I have won a welding bench off eblag. To get it home I am going to have to either borrow a trailer or hire a van.

I could probably borrow a suitable trailer, but will struggle to get a plate made up between now and then so I am interested in the van option.

The seller is confirming precise dimensions at the moment but it is approx 6' x 3'.

Van hire...the problem with that is you have to return the van to the place that you hired it from (unlike cars where you can do one way rentals), and they'll also try and screw you on insurance. If you don't have a local van hire place then I've used Enterprise a few times and found them to be ok. An LDV pilot would do the job no problems, so I think you'd be looking at any medium sized van. You'll be looking at about £45 a day.

Where's it going from and to?

Guest diesel_jim
Chipping Norton is about 20 miles north-west of Oxford.

Useful Trivia Fact: It is where Jeremy Clarkson lives :P

Nice house too. on the right hand side as you come in from Burford. next to the rugby club.

Father in law lives there too. (no, not with Clarkson, he's got his own house :rolleyes: )

Well, the forum (well, two of its mebers) has come up trumps.

This must be a contender for the most awkward load ever relayed perhaps? :unsure:

Anyhow, between Diesel Jim and GBMUD the workbench will be relayed to my door. How generous is that!!

A really big thank you to you both for stepping up, it is greatly appreciated. Jamie, just be wary of packages in the post for the next week or so.... :lol::ph34r: . Chris, well I'll see you in person ;):ph34r:

To the rest of you, thanks for the generous offers :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

TurboC - as usual, a fine plan, well put together and all eventualities covered. :blink::blink::P