Navigator 6, help!

chadler

Flushed with success from building up a solid state fanless in-car pc, (giving me internet access and memory map in the defender!), I've run into a snag when installing TomTom Navigator 6....

Bought the DVD version which says it's for Pocket PCs, Palms, Mobile devices etc. On putting the DVD into the drive, TomTom Home autoruns and installs, and on completion asks me to plug in the mobile device that i want to run Navigator on. How can i tell it that the computer IS the mobile device i want to run it on?!! Have I bought the wrong bit of software? Is there a version for running on Laptops and PCs? Any help much appreciated.

TomTom navigator runs on Windows ce / Windows mobile operating system based devices. Unless someone has done something very clever it won't run on your laptop.

Garmin do one but they are best part of £200. There are some lesser brands of software for about £80, a google search will turn them up. I use memory map and sometimes autoroute (it was already there so cost nothing)

edit - Just remembered you can get a pocket pc emulator for a normal pc which would let you run tomtom. Pda essentials or gpspassion forums will be useful places to look.

[sarcastic emulator] Thanks, really useful advice [/sarcastic emulator]

No if you did a bit of work looking for it you would find it is a sat-nav system made for use on computers/laptops. It can be used with a touch screen and only cost about £60.

But never mind.

Paul

Edit for link to version 8

http://directions.ltd.uk/laptop-navigation...igator-8-europe

Any chance of a spec list and ballpark cost to build.... pretty please...... ;)

Oh, and as they say, Tom Tom needs an emulator to run on a PC ;)

Knowing nothing about Car PCs this time last year, i used the site www.CarTFT.com which although based in germany, delivers components within 2 days. Spec is a Voom 2 case, 128gb Solid state drive in 2.5in form factor (sata) fanless motherboard (but i'll dig out the e-receipts and post the details and specs)

As for cost, I've spent a bit more than the system value as through trial and error learnt a few do's and don'ts:

-Don't try and squeeze a dvd drive into the case, it gets pretty tight when all the cabling is installed. And the air gap is needed for ventilation without fans

-Fans are not too tolerant of dust and vibration so best to spec a fanless motherboard and not cramp the case. This will save ingeston of crud into the device

-I originally had a 2.5in IDE drive fitted but the IDE cabling was too bulky to fit, and i replaced it with a SATA device not long after the initial installation. Although i could get good stability on the operating system when running on the bench, the drive did not like being asked to run at a vertical angle, and was just too temperemental for to have any faith in it being able to cope with bumps. So drive 3(!) was after a good bit of ebay idling, a 128Gig Solid state drive, which is just superb, no issues at all with getting the sotware and OS onto it, it just reads as a normal SATA drive. By removing a conventional HDD you remove the weak line in the system in my opinion, A SDD draws less current, and now there are no moving parts at all in the system.

- I've mounted the PC casing on the centre bulkhead, behind the cubby box. The cable bundle passes to an 8in TFT touchscreen on a RAM mount, and the supplied harness will accept RCA inputs, A reversing Camera, and also has a sense wire that can be wired into the reverse light circuit to automatically switch inputs.

- Memory map is superb, and i use a USB manetic GPS dongle. There can be some confliction issues with the computer thinking that this is a mouse and sending the pointer haywire, but fixes are available.

maybe £300 to have got to where i am, software is the main expense.

Paul, I apologise. I Guess that i could have taken your post a little more positively. In retrospect I agree, for anyone else contemplating this; Navigator 7 would be a more straightforward route. Determined to get this to work now though!

TomTom is the only major nav sat system developer that chose not to involve in software solutions for the PC platform (there was, maybe still is, a press release on their website).

Running an OS on top of another is not the best way to do it in this case. It will work eventually but this will be an unnecessary waste of system resources (possibly overload issues as well).

Have a look on http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/ and see what's available on the market.

Check also:

- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gps/

- http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

for more info and see other options and preferences.

You'll see that running TT on an emulator is on the bottom of the list.

PC Navigator is the cheapest option on the market for on road navigation.

Another thing is that TTN6 is too old and the maps are outdated. So why bother?

On road, I've run PC Navigator on a TC100 for some time. It is quite like TomTom with some differences which make it a bit less intuitive to use, but overall it is excellent. Off road memory Map 1:25000 is the business in UK. OziExplorer seems to be the favoured option for Expeditions, but I have not played with my copy much yet.

TomTom have also stopped upgrading their Navigator beyond v6, presumably to concentrate on their packaged prodcuts. Personally, I think this is a poor business decision, though it may have something to do with the number of PDA and phone operating systems around now.

Actually they stopped selling the upgraded versions as a software only solution. They upgraded it but it's only available as an integrated product. I think the latest version is 7.9.something. It's only available from underground sources as it's ripped off the packaged products.

Tomtom bought TeleAtlas a year ago and this will keep them 'busy' for a while.

I have a carpc based on a Voom case, a Via M10000, a 2,5" HDD out of a portable, 1Gb memory, an 8" Touchscreen and a Holux GR-213 gps mouse

For roadbooks etc in Belgium/France I use Oziexplorer but one of the minor points is that the maps stay always north up so sometimes it is not that easy to recognize a situation (maps are normal images and not vector maps)

You can find lots of maps for whole of Europe and Africa calibrated for Ozi

On my PC I use PC Navigator for on road navigation and Ozi for off road. If I know where the site I'm going to be competing on is, I grab sattelite images from Google and stitch them together for use with Ozi, that way I can choose between a satellite view and an OS view of the terrain.

I've also developed a touch screen friendly front end for ozi that allows you to quickly enter/list/go to waypoints as well as some of the other basic functions as I found Ozi too fiddly to use on an 8 inch touch screen while moving. It also gives Ozi a "big numb pointer" window like the garmin one so that gives you distance, speed, eta and relative direction to the current waypoint you are navigating to.

I'm using a fanless ITX factor motherboard as others are doing, mine is fitted into an IP67 enclosure so only the screen will die when I immerse it... The PC lives behind the seats and, as well as navigation, it's also used for the engine tuning/logging and is hooked up to the aux input of the CD player for some tunes to try and drown out the simex on the motorway :) The DVD player can be used for DVD playback if you're bored but the lower end fanless PCs are pretty much at their limit when it comes to playing back DVDs.

http://linitx.com/ can supply everything you need apart from an IP67 enclosure.

normal_110_1023.jpg

normal_110_1022.jpg

normal_110_1024.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howdy,

A friend at our site mounted a carpc on his LR Discovery 3 and, aside from the almost perfect factory-fit-look he managed to accomplish, his software choice made his new toy even better: Centrafuse. The navigation is handled by its "Destinator" software, which, IMHO, rivals TomTom. But the really nifty thing about Centrafuse is the wide range of tools it includes: music, on-board computer, navigation, of course....

Naturally, a carpc allows you to run your Oze or Compe software, PDA emulator, etc., but Centrafuse is really remarkable--and it looks good too. I have only played a bit with it, but I figured those interested in carpcs might want to learn about it.

Here are a couple of pics:

2516359087_8109ddd127_o.jpg

2516362309_a66a792d71_o.jpg

2531083154_9687638308_o.jpg

Everytime I ride on my friend's D3 I think of the 2,000 euro I wasted on the "Premium" navigation package I purchased when I placed my order for my D3....

Anyway, my friend wrote a piece on our site, images included, describing the process he underwent installing his carpc, but it is all in Spanish... If anyone is thinking about doing the same on an LRD3, let me know and I´ll be glad to translate the article for you.

Cheers!