EBC Brakes & Discs

pw8757

If your suffering from brake fade then it would be ideal time to fit vented discs, you will also require new calipers.

If you fit the Green pads they require warming up before they are at their best, ie. they are not 100% at the start unlike standard pads although a lot better than Red Stuff pads.

If you fitted bigger discs and 6 pot calipers then you would see some improvement, but then you would have to fit bigger wheels.

So that's all going to cost a few bob, then there's the fitting which is a lot more involved on a D1 than the D2.

I find that there's nothing wrong with the standard D1 disco brakes, never had any problems and if I had to replace them then would be the same again.

I've heard people who have disliked EBC brakes on some cars, but not on Land Rovers, on a Discovery they are great.

We have green stuff pads and their solid discs on the racer and never suffer brake fade, once they are properly bedded in. I find them pretty good from cold too, but they are stonking once they are up to temperature.

Having said that I've never found much wrong with genuine, or branded replacement pads, on a heavily driven road car.

I'm using the EBC discs and Land Rover pads on my Disco....no problems to report so far.

Bedding them in is a bit daunting though......they say that you should avoid heavy braking etc...try driving through Dubai and Sharjah without doing that! The place is full of nutters who pull out on you with no prior warning what so ever!

S

Used to use Green stuff with EBC vented and drilled discs on my errr...... Lotus..... never had a problem with them and that thing got tracked. Heard some BS about people warping the discs but I never had an issue and I dont' think they could have been pushed much harder :P . They were great for non-fouling the alloys and improved stopping distance.

Eventually changed the lot to 4-pot Wilwoods though cos the standard calipers were the limiting factor.

I read some article/theory somewhere, possibly by someone like Carrol Shelby, that warped discs were a myth and that every example they'd ever seen was actually some other problem. Twas very interesting and had all sorts of braking advice in it. Unfortunately NAFC where I saw it :ph34r:

I've used them in the past with no ill-effect, in both the disco and on my mountian bike (honestly!). Have heard horror stories of late of them disintergrating when used in Honda Africa Twins like mine - so they wont be going on that.

Personally though, the stock brakes on a disco, if looked after properly do me fine and I cover a hell of a lot of miles in mine...........

I had to replace the discs on my RRC (vented on the front) as they had rusted around the edges, eroding the pads and thus reducing the braking area to about 75% of normal. I rpelaced the rears first (they were the worst) followed by the front, using the dimpled and grooved EBC discs and Green Stuff pads, followed a month or so later by the front brakes (same, but vented). this had the added benefit of getting around the 200 mile bedding in period by having one set of brakes fully bedded in while the others were new.

They seem very effective, especially once bedded-in - they do have a noticeable difference over that time, starting off slighly better than my knackered brakes (which were still good enough to pass the MoT, but never take chances with them) but soon becoming 50% more effective, as a rough estimate.

The only trouble I have had with them is the pads rattling in the front callipers - the late Classic has coil springs around the retaining pins, and these do little to prevent rattling pads. I need a set of the early type which are nearly straight wires of spring steel with a king in the middle that hooks around the tang on the edge of the pad.