Removing Engine; Methods

Is it possible to remove then replace an engine and gearbox still coupled together by dropping unit(s) down and lifting vehicle off

and then

Replace it the same way i.e. placing the vehicle over the unit(s), all this achieved without a garage vehicle lift?

Might sound a touch mad but my engine crane will not lift both (I tink)

if you remove the axle first, then raise the front of the truck up, then i don't see why not - however, lifting the body high enough could be a problem.

maybe worth travelling round a few farms, and asking if you can slip the farmer a few notes to use a corner of a barn for a weekend or two? rig up a block and tackle, or use a telehandler if he has one.

evening.

i did what you intend to do (simon B ), i used an engine crane rated for 2 tonne to lift out the complete engine and g'box.

i had to remove the g'box crossmember, all the covers around g'box in the cab, and all the fitments of the engine forward (rad etc), and everything else that happens to be attached!

it was quite hard and the steering box did foul an exhaust mount (centre piece) but with a pbit of persuasion it did come out.

ive also removed the engine first and the separately removed the gearbox by removing the g'box cross member, supporting the gearbox with a 2 tonne, then releasing the mounting point and lowering it out and dragging it out the side. - however will need some method (trolley jack) to lift the landrover since the top of the gearbox did foul the chassis rails.

as for putting the engine + g'box back in, i did it by attaching both units and threading the complete lot back in. oh you will need a trolley jack by the handbrake to lift the gearbox back into place - or i found that anyway!

anyways thats just my experience, hope it doesnt seem like im teaching u how to suck eggs :D

I wouldn't start from there, sounds like a huge amount of work for the hire of a bigger engine crane if necessary!

In your planning have you considered that a) you will remove the front grill and radiator which reduces the lift height and B) if you can't go all the way up drop the vehicle down (take front wheels off and lower on to axle stands or some dodds of wood). c) consider fitting spring compressors to the front springs when still loaded to prevent the body rising as you lift the engine.

I expect the cross member and gearbox mounts etc to be removed since the tail of the gearbox will need to drop to get teh front of the engine out.

Have lots of fun :P and don't forget its character building.

Convinced myself that splitting the units is the better idea and lift out not drop down better. Had not thought of the spring compression effect will plan that in, could this be circumvented by lashing the axle to the bumpstop with some meaty ratchet straps?

Character under construction as we speak.