winch securing

Grant.

Hi all,

Was speaking to a friend the other day about how he had his winch stolen off the back of his tow truck, to prevent this he said he rounded off the nuts on the new one so you cant get a grip with a spanner on it, thought i would see if there are any better suggestions so,

how do you secure your winch to your truck to stop people nicking it?

Cheers

Grant

Hi all,

Was speaking to a friend the other day about how he had his winch stolen off the back of his tow truck, to prevent this he said he rounded off the nuts on the new one so you cant get a grip with a spanner on it, thought i would see if there are any better suggestions so,

Cheers

Grant

Contact Anton at OEC (OEC website)- they have a number of different security bolts and bolt covers to secure items to vehicles.

This is a subject I too have given thought to from time to time.

The trouble with this kind of security is that the winch becomes difficult to remove for servicing. My winch normally gets a good dunking when I go playing off road. Consequently I like to take it off the vehicle for a good clean 2 or 3 times a year. This would be a spot tricky with these security bolt covers or welded-on bolts.

I think one needs to assess the risk of theft first. Where is the vehicle kept at night, during the day?

It's rather like the ongoing discussion of workshop security, if you keep stuff generally out of sight it's a whole lot safer from the opportunists, let's say you park the vehicle nose to the garage (if you have a drive or garage) rather than facing the road, the winch is out of sight, and harder to get to. You'll not be able to stop the determined thief though :(

Hi all,

Cheers

Grant

I use the No-Go bolt head covers mentioned in this thread, they are very good...

If someone wants your winch they will stop at nothing to get it, or more likely just try and steal your truck.. So in reality all you can do is make it less easy for oportunists to nick it and you can only get the No-Go's off if you use a grinder.

Have to agree with Mickey above though, they really are a permanent fixture and if you are into comps and stuff where you eed to service your winch regularly, your probably best just removing your winch full stop!

Hope this helps

Jamie

I have seen a motorcycle lock used round the drum and through the fairlead opening. Less galmorous but at least you can take the winch out of the bumper when you want to without firing up the grinder!.

Of course, you still have to stop them nicking the winch and the bumper together!!

Don't weld the bolts, please.......

if your using cable if its attached to a recovery point and flicked up tight (not mega tight) it wont be moving from the bumper anyway unless they peal all the cable off or they have bolt cutters <_<

failing that bishbosh has the best idea maybe round the chassis cross member just behind it an threw the drum

dave

I have seen a motorcycle lock used round the drum and through the fairlead opening. Less galmorous but at least you can take the winch out of the bumper when you want to without firing up the grinder!.

Of course, you still have to stop them nicking the winch and the bumper together!!

Don't weld the bolts, please.......

Lol ok, i wont weld the bolts, however i like the chain around the winch idea, also a visual deterrant to keep opportunists away!

How would you stop them stealing the winch bumper?

Thanks

Grant

[The trouble with this kind of security is that the winch becomes difficult to remove for servicing. My winch normally gets a good dunking when I go playing off road. Consequently I like to take it off the vehicle for a good clean 2 or 3 times a year. This would be a spot tricky with these security bolt covers or welded-on bolts.

Fitted my Hydraulic Milemarker over 6 years ago, never been apart, never been off the truck :rolleyes: