lightweights

dirkthe1

a friend has offered me a lightweight, decent chassis but not great nick. i havent said yes though-yet.

just thought i would ask what people have done with them and ask

are they easy to convert to coils-ive seen a few, but have never thought about it!

engine uprgades?or just clean up the 2.25 petrol- i did see the article in december LRO where they guy had a lightweight

cheers

also, i dont think its 24volt

If you want a coiler, these days you can just buy a 90 and have done (in fact a good lightweight will be worth more than a 90 in similar nick). Converting a LTWT to coils is going to be a shedload of work and incur the wrath of the SVA man. Stick parabolics on and call it job jobbed.

if it a lightweight and its free, get it, i drew over a grand for the last one i broke. having said that it was befor the bubble burst.

true-i would like it, just have to re jig my budget a bit, and wasnt sure what people recommended doing from a practical point of view!

true-i would like it, just have to re jig my budget a bit, and wasnt sure what people recommended doing from a practical point of view!

From a practical and least cost point of view if budget is an issue just leave it as it is. Get the engine running properly and just drive and do other repairs, cosmetic stuff as and when you can be bothered.

They don't need any mods they are great fun just as they come mate!!

From a practical and least cost point of view if budget is an issue just leave it as it is. Get the engine running properly and just drive and do other repairs, cosmetic stuff as and when you can be bothered.

They don't need any mods they are great fun just as they come mate!!

yeah-ive driven it a few times and quite liked it. a mate is an MV nut-got 5 101's 2 lightweights, 2 willys jeeps, etc, etc.

I'd leave it alone, there are plenty of hacked about motors out there if you want one so a straight one looked after will ultimately be worth more. Also people forget just how much fun it is getting a standard vehicle around the place.

yeah-driven his willys (that sounds wrong) a few times and thats fun!

i did like the guys one in lrm or whatever last month-minimal changes, just restored everything, changed a few gauges. seen a few (on ebay and others) which they want three grand for "because its been done up" and they look like a heap of...well, im sure you know

please dont everyone get me wrong-im not desperate to do things to it, but i just wondered if people had experiences of "i wish id done this" early on. id be more then happy to keep it standard and just put a standard roll over bar-if i kept it like that, id probably manage to keep it on his land and get him to help finish it!

couple of re furb 2.25 engines in this months withams tender:P

I use one that had a monty engine fitted and have to say I love it, haven't had another car for

somthing like 7 years. So I may be a bit biased;-) I see a range rover chassised ltwt around reigate

every now and again, personaly I think mine looks far better. If you do break it let me know, mine

is a bit of a skip;-)

• 1 month later...
Swifty is right...

As is FF

I'd leave it alone, there are plenty of hacked about motors out there if you want one so a straight one looked after will ultimately be worth more. Also people forget just how much fun it is getting a standard vehicle around the place.
these guys know the score, an unbastersized, L/W is the dogs!

IMG_0378a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
a friend has offered me a lightweight, decent chassis but not great nick. i havent said yes though-yet.

just thought i would ask what people have done with them and ask

are they easy to convert to coils-ive seen a few, but have never thought about it!

engine uprgades?or just clean up the 2.25 petrol- i did see the article in december LRO where they guy had a lightweight

cheers

also, i dont think its 24volt

What headlights has it got?

Headlights in the grill are S2A and getting rare (infact I haven't seen one for ages), headlights in the wings are S3.

My personal favourite is the 2A as it is a cleaner front end, but then I have a S1 so I'm biased.

Lightweights have removable body sections and unique axles and halfshafts.

Bulkhead rot may be a problem as they are unique as well but with so many S3 produced may be not?

The only complaint that I have heard about them is that in winter you get very cold feet as the wings do not cover the foot wells.

My twopennethfor what its worth, get it, leave it std and have fun. :)

Marc.

• 4 weeks later...