Been offered a 90 pickup in exchange for my disco

hello all,

i have recently been offered a 1987 90 pickup 2.5 na. Its done 130k miles, been resprayed in olive green, has a new hood and sticks. new seats and headlining, polybushed, with brand new bfg at's on black modulars, has been in a workshop for the past few months having these bits and more being done.

Now he wants £2500 for it, i have a 97 disco 300tdi commercial that i would like to possibly part exchange although he says only a direct swap. my disco has done nearly 120kmiles full svc history, got 6 seats as well as the bulkhead, safari snorkel, steering guard, front qt diff guard, waxoyled etc

i have included a pic. now i really really want a 90 truck cab, but im not sure if its a good deal or not. how much do you reckon my disco's worth, its not immaculate, it has been off road a couple of times, it needs a new rear bumper as its taken a knock, the interior could be bettered, its got no rust, not even under the carpets. what do reckon?

thanks

post-12228-1231686739_thumb.jpg

i went and looked at an ex transco 110 yesterday,1996 300 tdi,bit of a dog,he wanted £3000.i have a 96 discovery es,worth about £1500,thought long and hard last night,but couldn,t justify the £3k for the 110 when the discovery is so cmfortable and warm,and i know my own vehicle.90 and 110,s hold there money well,i would hold out as you should be able to pick up a tdi for that money.

yer i thought so, ideally im looking for as late a possible 300tdi pickup, with below 100k miles, but again money comes into it and i havnt got about 6 or 7 grand! i cannot believe how much defenders go for! maybe i should just keep enjoying the disco's comfort until i can save up enough dollar to get the defender i want

I don't think that is a bad swap if the Defender is in good nick the longer you leave it the less your Disco will be worth, as an "investment" the sooner you move your collateral from the Disco to the Defender the better off you will be.

The other consideration is why do you want a Defender? I have had both (and both modded) and the Defender is not in the same league comfort wise as the Disco and if your Disco is in very good nick and you intend to keep it/ the replacement defender then it maybe better to stick with the devil you know.

I love my cold noisy Defender and as has been said many times on here most Defender owners drive them because of their character but if you don't have that love for the Defender and comfort is an issue stick with your car and just spend your cash on doing up that.

I love my cold noisy Defender and as has been said many times on here most Defender owners drive them because of their character but if you don't have that love for the Defender and comfort is an issue stick with your car and just spend your cash on doing up that.

Here comes the difference!! Other half is nagging over the "freezy" and "noisy" nature of the defender. That makes me consider buying a disco as car nr 2. I learnt the comfort in disco far exceeds that of the defender! :unsure: But I ain't giving up on ma defender!!!!! ;)

The 90 does sound like it is in good condition, but I would ideally want a 200tdi or 300tdi, as going from your disco to a worn 2.5na will be a bit of a slow down and you will probably regret letting the disco go.

Jon

i would look for a better one £2500 seems alot for a 2.5n/a

I agree - my 90 - a 1987 with brand new 300 tdi 2004 is a rcuk cab too with rocksliders and stufff - yes of course it has corrosion but despite the appeals of atruck cab - i might suggest you look further - to be honest i want ta disco for comfort - but as the men say parting with my 90 seems like an amputaion - its charcater gives me a feeling of character

you may have - but why not try some clubs and see - then you can get a clearer pictutre of history etc.

regards

chrisp

ps if anyone knows of low cost resprayer - metallic - let me know - in kent or london area/m25

ta

cheers for all the opinions and links lads.

Im thinking about just saving up, its gonna take me a very long time, but a Zermatt Silver or Bonatti Grey 90 Hardtop/ double cab are what im looking for, im gonna have to get about 10k i reckon, but im hoping due to the time its gonna take to save up, they will have gone down in price, thinking i want a td5, purely for the option of chipping, oh and the noise! im not too fussed by ecu's and electrics, i work on them everyday so its not gonna bother me too much. or should i go for a 300tdi, i do like the 300tdi, espescially for its reliability, but unless sprayed i've never seen a 90 in silver and i think i would prefer the refinement of the td5.

Td5 or 300tdi?

anyone know which year the td5's were best? heard of trouble with early examples

I don't know of any particular year but I would say any after 2002 would be better than pre 2002, thats when they changed from EU2 to EU3 emmissions compliance and changed to a flash programmed UCU, improved injectors and other improvements. They also beefed up the EGR arrangements which I've heard say reduce the performance slightly but can be easily removed.

From those I've heard, the later ones seem to run quieter (and smoother?) than the earlier ones.

i bought my 1987 90 with a disco 200 tdi conversion in it 18 months ago and paid £1100 for it winch bumper, suspension rock sliders etc with it. Was a van but just remember defenders are like mechano, all nuts and bolts!! not saying truck was mint but never welded before i got it, tho did need x-member but there are cheaper 1's around.

£2,500 is a lot for a very old 90 - the chassis would have to be mint, and the rest of the vehicle not far behind. 200TDi engine in it, then maybe, but not an N/A

Les.

I paid £900 quid for my 1986 90 na pickup :ph34r:

Front wings are a bit battered but the chassis is soild and passed the mot with only an advise on slight blow from the exhaust front joint.

25092008228-1.jpg

25092008231-1.jpg

still waiting to go have a look at it!

Its at a garage so ill get it up on the ramp and inspect the work that hes done to it, and ill take some piccys for y'all!

From what hes saying, it sounds like its very good, but then again, he does want to sell it, well... really hes just desperate to get his old disco back off me!