12volt tyre inflators?

kevanf1

Hi everybody.

I'm looking to buying one of those 12 volt tyre inflators. I had set my mind on getting one of the TruckAir models as they seemed to come out on top in a test in one of the magazines a few years ago. Trouble is I have now been told they are discontinued :( Does anybody know of a UK stockist? I had tried 4x4 Winches as they were the only stockist that came up on a Google search. Is there another who still has stock?

Thank you.

Kevan

a lot of people on here (me included) have had very good results with the t-max double pump compressor. if you do a search for 'double pump' or the like I am sure you will find the discussions...

here's one on eBay although mine came from Foundry 4x4 (but they don't list it on thier website)

I like mine so much I have hard wired it into my discovery to provide on board air.

Cheers

Mark

Another vote for t`max compressors i am very happy with mine. The cheap units claim 100+psi but what really counts is cfm (cubic feet per minute) as this will pump your tyre up quicker, look for one with at lest 2.1cfm

here's one on eBay although mine came from Foundry 4x4 (but they don't list it on thier website)

I like mine so much I have hard wired it into my discovery to provide on board air.

Cheers

Mark

Funny, at the time of the OP's post I was just on Ebay looking at the self same compressor this afternoon and was thinking of posting to ask if it was any good. I am tempted now but weighing up whether to get the compressor or a replacement saw for my workshop.

I bought a cheap £9.99 one from Halfrauds which is actually made by Sealey.

It is awfully slow and if I stick it on tire No1, I can run round and pump up the other three with a foot pump and then check the oil/coolant/brake/clutch fluids before I even have to think about checking the dial.

Hardly worth the trouble of digging it out of my breakdown kit box.

Could I ask what an H83 is?

I know the double pump one fits under the front seat of a discovery...

Mark

I may have located a TruckAir compressor and cheaper than the 4x4 Winches price by £20. I don't think any would fit under the seat of my Series 2a ambulance though :) Come to think of it, I wouldn't have got it under my Disco when I owned it. I had 96 model 300Tdi. the under seat area was stuffed full of CD changer :)

Thanks for all the replies. If this one that I have found doesn't pan out I will be in touch with the various links provided by you good guys.

Take care all

Kevan

Could I ask what an H83 is?

It's a very useful ammunition container - the best thing is that it is totally waterproof - the next best is that it generally costs about a fiver :) Most normal spanners etc will fit in one. I would guess it's about 12"x6"x8" high.

I have a Viair compressor from Matt Savage as well as a T-Max double pump one.

The viair one is beautifully made and works brilliantly - it lives permanently in the Land Rover.

The T-max one was a lot cheaper and the construction is horrible! I'm going to put it in to a box just to hide it! However, it does produce a lot of air and seems to work pretty well. Other people have said they last pretty well - so it might not be such a bad bet.

Si

A few of my mates had the truckair compressor when we went to Morocco. I was doing the whole trip on a budget so took 2 £3.99 compressors that I got with some fuel.

When we came to air up after our play in the desert, I finished airing my tyres up (using 1 of the pumps) quicker than either of my mates.

One of their compressors also seemed to be working harder than eveyone elses, so much so that the cig lighter melted into the dash.

My vote is with the T max stuff if you are doing the occasional tyre inflate, air bed or lilo. If you are going to be airing down and up 10 times a day, go for the Viair stuff from Matt Savage

I would reccomend having a look at Marks install if you are thinking of a hard wired system, i intend to do a vet similer thing in my DC.

About the compressors:

I don't know really how these small car compressor work>>?I know that the 220v compressor has an piston(like in a car) which pushes the air...but in this car compressors I suppose it is a rubber membrane(like in the mechanic fuel pump) which has not so much "movement" like piston= How does it works really so good as you say?

What will be if to a T-Max compressor fit an air tank to collect more air?

Thanks

I thought maybe the little 12v compressors also work with a piston albeit with a short stroke. Maybe they are diaphram compressors.

If you want to know about having an air tank with acompressor then you could search Tech for On Board Air. The setups are really good using air con compressors but I suppose that could be exchanged for a 12v compressor and keeping the rest of the setup the same.

I may have located a TruckAir compressor and cheaper than the 4x4 Winches price by £20. I don't think any would fit under the seat of my Series 2a ambulance though :) Come to think of it, I wouldn't have got it under my Disco when I owned it. I had 96 model 300Tdi. the under seat area was stuffed full of CD changer :)

Thanks for all the replies. If this one that I have found doesn't pan out I will be in touch with the various links provided by you good guys.

Take care all

Kevan

Had the truckair for over 6 years, still works well.

Daan

• 1 month later...

I now have a TC501 Miniair made by Ding Hwa Co Ltd and checked for EC conformity by Kwang-Tsan Chen. It looks like this one on Ebay.

However, it was free!

But is is 240v, however, I have an inverter in the boot!

Having used it I must say that is really rather good. I inflated a completely flat tyre on my trailer, 155 70 13, and it took about 2 minutes to get to 45psi.

The specifications say:

1/8hp

80psi max

20lpm

I also repaired a puncture on a tubeless wheel barrow tyre and it managed to reseat the tyre on the rim.

It is so quiet that it is almost inaudiable out doors on a quiet road at ground level when I am standing next to it.

Not bad for a freebie.