electric fans

i did a search and found this:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...20fan&st=40

i was just wondering about ripping mine of my 2.5 na diesel. i was just wondering, mounting wise does infront and behind make a difference? i geuss it just depends on the fan ( i believe air con ones are mounted in front?)

having a look on fleabay for a fan, and do plan to fit an x eng thermo switch for it.

cheers

geoff

i did see them mentioned on the other thread. but from reading people saying they barely use them, i was wondering how good the fan actually has to be?

surely just having a token fan that will kick in when needed will do the job just as well?

I fit a 14" electric fan to my 109 because the fan mounting on a Discovery 200tdi engine is too low to use the viscous unit. The fan was used a fair bit climbing the mountains on my Alpine trip, but other than that (and sitting in traffic) it stayed off. However, I'd strongly recommend keeping the standard fan - nothing can go wrong with them, but electric fans can suffer circuit faults, failed bearings, shorting out, they drain the battery when running with the engine off and are simply less powerful and less reliable.

The figures that Kenlowe publish about the fan's fuel and power consumption are utter lies - most of the time that the vehicle is moving, the fan will not have a significant angle of attack on the airflow, and so will have no significant turning resistance. When it is working hard, at high rpm and low vehicle speed, it has more effect than an electric fan but little more resistance. The energy for either fan wwill come from the engine, but the fixed fan is more efficient because you don't lose energy through transfers of state from kinetic to EM to electrical, back to Em and then back to kinetic, with losses in the wiring, alternator and electric motor from resistance and heat. The fixed fan is far superior to the electric alternatives.

If you look at moder cars, only vehicles with transverse engines get electric fans. All others with in-line engines get engine-driven fans (usually viscous) because of their greater effectiveness, reliability and efficiency.

However, if you are set on an electric fan, or compelled to use one like me, a puller fan on the rear of the rad is more effective than a pusher fan on the front.

Look, you just go down to the breakers and pick up a Mondeo fan. They are cheap and the best for the job. The ones in the auction are junk as they won't mount well. The mondeo fans fit great and cover the radiator properly.

i know that, but that involves going to breakers, getting fan, etc. if i got that for the price ive bid up to, im more then happy with it, if not i'll be going to the breakers when im over that way

Snagger - I have only known one electric fan fail and that was because the owner went deep wading with it switched on. In contrast, I have known around 10 viscous fans fail in the same time period - either losing drive/locking up or in one case losing a blade due to deep wading and trying to eat through the radiator :blink: I also believe removing the engine fan puts less stress on the water pump bearings.

Arguing that electric fans can drain your battery with the engine off is only true if you wire it up so it can run with the engine off. :rolleyes:

i know that, but that involves going to breakers, getting fan, etc. if i got that for the price ive bid up to, im more then happy with it, if not i'll be going to the breakers when im over that way

Except with those, you will have to spend a bunch of time making up a mounting system. The Mondeo fan goes straight in.

FWIW, I had a fan from an older Saab 9000 on my NAD. The fan casing is made of pressed sheet metal and needs to be cut back to the actual fan surround. This is then slotted so it can go onto the already existing plastic duct and be fastened with one of the big hose clamps already there. The fan wings go into the duct after they have been trimmed just a little. I just held a piece of coarse sanding paper along the opening and started the fan...