Spare Wheel Mounting - Ideas please ?

Now with the NOR Cage nearly completed I have turned my thoughts

to where to have the spare wheel. Having grabbed my spare I spent a happy while playing

the "Where the F Hell could this go" Game :lol:

One of the main ideas around going from Hard top to Truck Cab was the idea of visiblity

so having it upright against the hoop behind the Rear Main hoop is a bad idea - as it will

block the view with the top of the tyre.

I have also looked at an idea of making a curved seat for the tyre to sit in, in effect dropping

below the floor so the top of the tyre was lower the the bottom of the window in the TC,

but a not starter due to whats beneath the floor :(

I've looked at against the rear stay and upright - again visibility and other option some plainly

on the "Barking" side......in the end I think as the pic below shows, on the floor is a strong contender.

I also will be reloacting the Hydraulic tank, this is at the moment planned to be a rectangular tank, full

width of the floor slighty higher than the tops of the wheel boxes, and curved to fit the front edge of the tyre,

will be making up a cardboard and sticky tape dummy version 1st but looks hopefull, will use space well,

allow removal of the tyre, and hold more than enough oil for both winches :)

post-22-1233683059_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233683083_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233683046_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233683035_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233683022_thumb.jpg

I think the waffles are sort of positioned too, may be upright, may be at a jaunty angle, but locations about right

Hi Lift will go on one of the crioss bars on the main hoop, and even the Ground Anchor seems to have a home

So, me question is :

Holding down the spare wheel as in the picture

Have thought of a few options, hooks welded / bolted to floor / cage plates with straps and rachets to tighten

Big plate under floor, with Tube coming up and a big screw mounting clamping down on it, like a Roll bar tube size, threaded

and a HUGE wing nut wound onto it, but all in all open to ideas as to how to clamp it in position

Also I am wondering about raising the wheel up a tad, say 3" so I have a gap under it for strops etc, but again how best

to hold the wheel up 3" and also then to clamp in place ?

I was wondering about maybe 3x or 4x bump stop placed in a triangle to luift the wheel off the floor, but agian open

to ideas

So,

Q1 - Ideas to holding wheel as in the pic

Q2 - ideas on how to raise, and then hold into position

:) ??

Nige

Nige, I'm in exactly the same position as you and took some time the other day pondering this, I sat the wheel on the B hoop but as stated it blocks the rear view, the wheel well is a good idea IMO, I put the wheel against the rear stays, but mine flare out so it was a bit more difficult, I ended up deciding that flat on the tub floor was the way to go, so I went on ebay and got this today for £5, he is only a few miles away so no carriage charge, I think you can work the rest out.

a5ba_12.jpg

Mine is upright, and I can look over it quite comfortably (but I am 6'7, which might help). I think flat on the floor is the worst you can do in terms of practicality, so the idea of sinking it in the floor I think is quite good.

I did hang it of the cross, with some wheel studs. I am no longer using the studs, but drilled a hole through one of them and use a quick release pin instead for those blindingly quick pit stops.

Can you fit the oiltank between the bulkhead and the cage? I was able to fit 2 x 20 litre jerycans in this (lost) space.

With regards to raising the wheel, I can only recommend a membership to you local gym :rolleyes: .

Mine:

daan041.jpg

Daan

Extra Post Copied in here - From Dafyd :

not the best pic but i had the same dilema , didnt want to loose rear visability , so made a ''wheel well'' that is sunk in to the floor , the A frame doesnt really move very much so tons of room under there , if you want more pics let us know can take some friday and pm them to you

Dafydd

misc041.jpg

I think flat on the floor is the worst you can do in terms of practicality

Hi Dan, can you explain why please, am I missing something? Just to give you a bit more info, the highlift is going on one of the rear stays, the waffle boards will mount across the tub and the sides of the tub will be boxed in with locker doors like Ced's pictured below to hold ropes etc. Something like this if it works out. :wacko:

DSC07160.jpg

IMGP0818.jpg

Hi Dan, can you explain why please, am I missing something? Just to give you a bit more info, the highlift is going on one of the rear stays, the waffle boards will mount across the tub and the sides of the tub will be boxed in with locker doors like Ced's pictured below to hold ropes etc. Something like this if it works out. :wacko:

DSC07160.jpg

IMGP0818.jpg

Hmmmm :)

What the Yellow thingy above the tyre ? Anchor ?

See its strapped too :)

Thanks for the replies, a lowered well into the floor is a non starter - lumps underneath :(

and same with tank behind the cage - cage is right up gainst bulkhead

would be the smallest Hydro tank hoing :(:lol:

Flat seems OK for me, esp if it can be removed for other things that may need moving etc

Can't find a better route, the boxes on the wheel boxes also in the plans (somewhwere :lol:)

I also have somewhere a F HUGE Wing nut asembly I made years ago, must go see findy :)

Keep the thoughts coming

Nige

Extra Post Copied in here - From Dafyd :

not the best pic but i had the same dilema , didnt want to loose rear visability , so made a ''wheel well'' that is sunk in to the floor , the A frame doesnt really move very much so tons of room under there , if you want more pics let us know can take some friday and pm them to you

Dafydd

misc041.jpg

Dafyd, my comment was in reply to your post, its a good solution. Nige why does that not work for you?, its the same car!

Zulublue, the picture of ced 90 proves exactly my point; its full. In the back of mine, all these items are stored and I still have about a cubic metre of space to carry my tent, 2 weeks of food supply, 5 days of water and fuel, and all the spares i might need.

Daan

Nige why does that not work for you?, its the same car!

In the back of mine, all these items are stored and I still have about a cubic metre of space to carry my tent, 2 weeks of food supply, 5 days of water and fuel, and all the spares i might need.

Daan

Daan

Load of Hydraulics stuff under there - could move it but....

<cough> ALL ? what <cough> even a spare roof :P:lol:

Nige post-22-1233700863.gif

Thoughts:

1. Wingnuts come loose, ratchet straps don't.

2. The wheel needs lifting off a threaded holder - hard when knackered and covered in mud,

3. Resting it on bump-stops - difficult to slide the wheel straight out (see 2 above)

I like your idea of a low box for the strops etc on top of which the wheel is laid flat and held in with one purpose built ratchet strap (ie fastened down at the sides and the correct length). The wheel will easily slide out of the back (no lifting) once the strap is released. If the sand-mats were out of the way you could have the spare on the floor in about 3 seconds with no effort.

my two pence worth.. :)

hi Daan , thanks for posting my post back up mine appears to have disapeared :(

HFH i bought a disco wheel carrier that i had planed on fitting to my floor before i decided to go down my ''wheel well'' route maybe that would be an option

hi Daan , thanks for posting my post back up mine appears to have disapeared :(

HFH i bought a disco wheel carrier that i had planed on fitting to my floor before i decided to go down my ''wheel well'' route maybe that would be an option

Brand New Take-Offs on eBay for £20 -

GENUINE Land Rover Spare Wheel Carrier (FREE NUTS!)

ae72_1.JPGb07c_1.JPG

Thanks to the H&S Nazis tiphat.gif

If it helps when I converted to a truck cab I put my tyre flat on the floor, I then drilled a 12mm hole in the floor and used a length of threaded rod, on the under side I used a peice of box sectionwith a nut on the other side, I then did the same above the wheel and also put the high lift jack across with the threaded rod going through one of the holes. So it easily mounts both the wheel and the high lift jack. I used a wing nut on top for easy removal

Very simple but very secure and passed the MOT fine