Advice Required

Hi,

I bought my Defender a year ago and have just taken it for its first MOT which it failed miserably. I have taken it to a Land rover expert and it seems the chassis is rotton and the car is only good for the graveyard!

I'm gutted really as I loved driving it was hoping to keep it for a few years and upgrading.

Its a 90, tdi 300 on a K plate and mechanically it is sound and has never let me down.

Any ideas what I should do with it? I need to get rid of it soon as I have no where to keep it and I need a new set of wheels.

a lot of this depends on your view of the vehicle.

If you have to take the commercial route, the cost of a galv chassis and paying someone to swap it will most likely outweight the cost of the vehicle, which will be hard to justify.

On the other hand, if you value the vehicle and want to keep it, and can do the swap yourself, then its a sound investment that will last well.

Obviously, the above are black and white, and most situations are shades of grey.

How bad is the current chassis? is it really beyond repair? have you had a look, can you take photos?

has your land rover expert got a financial interest in the vehicle, by either making a low offer to buy it or a high price to repair it? just taking the cynical viewpoint :lol:

Mike

a person i know did just that like a 200tdi rear cross member gone bout it for 500quid sold it for 2k with a new one fitted

as mentioned above it will be fixable

dave

Pop a new chassis on it, or even a good second hand one (that can be traced and isnt written off or nicked) and you're away - shouldnt take too long as you can do it in huge chunks during the transplant.

Any secondhand chassis will get you a Q plate, no option I am afraid, the only thing is to use a new preferably galvy chassis.

Hi,

I bought my Defender a year ago and have just taken it for its first MOT which it failed miserably. I have taken it to a Land rover expert and it seems the chassis is rotton and the car is only good for the graveyard!

I'm gutted really as I loved driving it was hoping to keep it for a few years and upgrading.

Its a 90, tdi 300 on a K plate and mechanically it is sound and has never let me down.

Any ideas what I should do with it? I need to get rid of it soon as I have no where to keep it and I need a new set of wheels.

Their are lots of weld on sections available for the defender and if you know of a tame welder perhaps you could get it well patched as long as its done right.

The best thing to do is get some body who knows land rovers and doesn't want to either buy it from you or sell you a new chassis to have a look before you do anything I know how you feel though. :(

why dont you take some pictures of the rotten bits and post them up? Also, tell us your location so people can advise you where to best go for help?

I think this would be a good idea,

as i can't think the chassis is that far gone that it can't be fixed

a k reg 300tdi has got to be worth about 3k so you could spend 500quid with out worrying