New Defender 2.4 litre

Anyone familiar/got the new 2.4 litre Defender with the Ford Transit engine and updated drive train?

Is it an improvement on the TD5?

Any teething problems? I think it's out about 2 years now...

some with dodgy clutch, gearbox and rear diff. I would say not an improvement. The 6th gear is great though

Ive got a 2.4 puma engine defender which has had a few problems worst of which is the fuel pressure problem, which basically makes the engine shut down into safety mode. (im told at the moment landrover do NOT know how to fix it). I havent been a defender owner before this one so i cant coment on previous models, I think its great to drive 'when it works' and yes it has been a pain to date but i now feel lost without it.

just a quick run down of problems, bottom end knocking when cold, fuel pressure problem, x2 transfer boxs, leaking power steering pump, steering box replaced, modified sump pan, various switchs changed on throttle and clutch, water leak in passenger foot well, and there are a few more.

I thought having a new truck would be easy, but i suppose its a LANDROVER!!

Thanks for the replies - didn't know the new defender is called the Puma. Any reason in particular?

I'm considering upgrading my 2000 110 TD5 for either a 2006 90 TD5 or a 2007 Puma 90. Its not surprising but the Puma seems to be attracting mixed opinions so I'll have to sit on the fence for a bit..

I have the "Puma" (Tdci). A great improvement over my previous Td5.

There are loads of opinions about them - some have had bad experiences but most wouldn't go back (except ibexman :) ).

There are some niggles that seem to crop up: issues with rattling injector rail, power steering pump leaks, transmission brake vibration; leaking diffs, failing clutch... I've only suffered the transmission brake issue but some have had the full works. It seems to depend on whether you car was made on a Friday.

Seriously, you'll find a whole load of info here (or on the dedicated puma section of www.defender2.net). Remember, though, you tend to get more coverage of the problems than the things that work. Apart from my own experience, all I know is that when people like you ask that very question, there are heaps of folk who immediately jump in to recommend the Tdci. It really is a step up from the Td5 IMHO.

Thanks for the replies - didn't know the new defender is called the Puma. Any reason in particular?

Puma is the name that Ford give to the 2.4 common rail Transit engine, which is odd because its also the name of a nasty little car they make I think :unsure: mind you Land Rover fit 2 completely different Freelander engines and call both of them Td4 so who knows :rolleyes:

I prefer TDCI as it follows the theme of all the previous engines but Puma seems to be the name that's becoming the favourite.

I have a XS 90 Puma (and it's on the market if your interested), however im not getting rid because of the truck TDci, it's the size that I can't deal with, not enough space in a 90 to fit 4 persons plus stuff... Also im building a 110 from the ground up and need the cash to complete the job, hence the sale.

However, it's a great truck, mine's had a new gearbox and the power steering pipe burst, other than that, no problems, fly's on the motor way and amazing off road. Kinda heavily modified mine and it's had the twisted re-map, improved performance. Im only 5.10 so fit quite nicely into the cab. Anyhow had no real issues with it at all.

I'm currently debating whether to trade my '07 in for a new one. BUT given the lucky dip nature of the process (am I going to get a 'good' one or not?) I might just hang on to the sorted one I have for now especially as it;s only just tipped over the 10,000 miles mark so in theory is barely run in.

The Puma engine has been an excellent engine even when Ford decided to fit it to Land Rovers most of the teething problems were ironed out on the Transit range , The earlier Duratorq Pumas suffered with Timing Chain tensioners and guides resulting in poor starting ,They have even been known to snap a chain .

The EGR valves used to go sticky . The the new Commn rail TDci seems well sorted now .

I drove the new Defender around Eastnor when it was introduced and loved the gearbox which IIRC is made by Getrag .Hated the Dash layout and lack of room for taller people .

• 3 weeks later...

I've used them for work and have access to 7 identical ones. All have covered nearly the same mileage and are used for the same thing (instruction work) including wading.

Overall they are an improvement. The new dash definately brings it up to date but it does lose some of it's charm. I am 6'3 and don't struggle for leg/head room but that may be driving position also.

The Puma's have all coped well but have all suffered from the same problems over time. The most notable ones are:-

Centre Diff. The pin isn't strong enough.

Aux Belt pulleys. Wading water and non sealed bearings are not a great mix!

Random idle issues. Whilst idling a few of the cars seem to randy shoot up or dropnrevs for no apparent reason??

Aside from the above. They are a worthwhile purchase I think.

Am I the only one?

For a vehicle that is maximum two yeas old all the above sounds like serious engineering and quality control issues.

I would only buy a car new with this reputation when promised that all issues were dealt with.

It might have been insufficient testing, but all issues which have not been improved after a year latest will cost the manufactorer a lot of money, which they cannot afford at current.