wheel base of 300tdi vs td5?

I ask because I saw a stupendous hand-built 300tdi - and he'd moved the front axle forward by 2" to accommodate huge fat wheels - he said that they cleared the bulkhead this way. He'd had the chassis built specially; standard-height suspension with gas shocks. even had Kenlowe fan AND a bonnet-mounted extractor fan for deep wading (though would have thought the engine would be water-cooled anyway!). Compete with a 6-ton winch and custom, extended bumper.- Even a second snorkle for heater intake

Anyway, my question really was about this moving the axle forward by 2" - looking at my TD5, I can't quite see that there's room in front of the axle 9he said there was on his, no need for modifications on that score). I presume it would need a longer front prop, and couldn't see in the dark what he'd done with the front springs/shocks. I'll have another look, and try to get a picture off him

regards

sparg

A Td5 110 has a longer wheelbase than a Tdi 90, is that any help?

...though of course neither is as long as a V8 130 nor as short as a 2.25 88.

Chris :P

Edited to add smiley lest there be confusion.

Edited by GBMUD

A Td5 110 has a longer wheelbase than a Tdi 90, is that any help?

...though of course neither is as long as a V8 130 nor as short as a 2.25 88.

Chris

right - think that's it - the TD5 front axle is already forward a bit, compared to the tdi - don't know if it's 2" though. just wondered if here was a way to get big wheels in there without rubbing, and without a lift

cheers

Chris is being cheeky :D but very funny though.... :D

The wheelbase is not determined by what engine is fitted...

There is tons of info on this board about wheel and tyre sizes and what's required to fit them - non of them involve moving the axle forwards..

Do a search for something like 'biggest tyres without a lift' or the like in the Defender forum.

Chris is being cheeky :D but very funny though.... :D

The wheelbase is not determined by what engine is fitted...

There is tons of info on this board about wheel and tyre sizes and what's required to fit them - non of them involve moving the axle forwards..

Do a search for something like 'biggest tyres without a lift' or the like in the Defender forum.

no, I know the engine doesn't push the wheels forwards :lol:

I'll try to find out more - he reckons it's smooth as a baby's bum on the road (not sure if one is allowed to say that, nowadays)

And they are big, big wheels for a non-lifted motor

Anything is possible if you are building a vehicle from scatch, it would be a lot of work to move the axle forward 2" as all relivent brackets for front axle/ steering box would have to be moved forward (unless you make up a custom length steering box drop arm or drag link)

If you moved the steering box forward you'd need to lengthen the steering column.

I'm not sure its worth it personally, one of the chassis companies does a replacement chassis with all the suspension mounting points moved downwards by 2" giving you a 2" lift with standard suspension components.. this should help you on your way to a big lift and monster tyres..

in answer to your original question, the wheelbase of all 90/110 landrovers hasn't changed since they first apepared on the market in the early 80's..

All 90's are 93".

All Landrovers with a coilsprung chassis's upto the disco 2/p38 era have the same length radius arms 90,110,100" RRC/disco, 127, 130 etc etc etc.

Loads of wotk to move an axle forward.Not so much to move the rear axle backward.

Personally i'd move the engine and box back and extand the rear A frame and arms.

All 90's are 93".

All Landrovers with a coilsprung chassis's upto the disco 2/p38 era have the same length radius arms 90,110,100" RRC/disco, 127, 130 etc etc etc.

Loads of wotk to move an axle forward.Not so much to move the rear axle backward.

Personally i'd move the engine and box back and extand the rear A frame and arms.

Quite a few challenge trucks use 100inch wheelbase for better stability

The new Black Pig I think is 100inch

Probably RR classic is about 100inch wheelbase?

Back to the original topic....what size are the wheels/tyres to reqiure moving the axle?? The only reason is to clear the outrigger which means 38"+

Yeah, they didn't look as big as that - I'll find out - he said it was to clear the bulkhead