Heater output

BogMonster

Does anybody have a figure in kilowatts or BTUs for the output at normal engine running temperature of a standard Land Rover Defender heater matrix?

Not after any witty remarks like "not very much" but I need to have an idea for a project I'm working on :P

Ta :)

Would be quite a hard thing to measure, but if I was going to try to I would do this:

1. Get the engine running and at a constant level (ie. idling and up to a constant temperature).

2. Measure the temperature of the water going into the heater matrix (temp probe of some sorts)

3. Repeat for the temperature coming out.

If you could then find the flow rate through the matrix somehow, you could work out the amount of heat dissipated. I think.

I use the same method in my PC's water cooling system, a temp sensor each side of the CPU cooler with the flow rate measured as well. The water cooling controller works out the amount of energy taken off the CPU into the water. I see no reason it can't be done the other way around.

The potential output will vary with the ammount of HP the engine is developing. If they get the system correct it will deliver enough heat at idle with the engine at operating temperature and the fan on full without bringing the engine temperature down - I'm gonna guess up to 6 KW of heat available at idle. Not scientific but i'm comparing the flow/heat as compared to a 1 ~KW fan heater.

Overall you're looking at 100hp into exhaust heat and 100hp into the cooling system for a 100hp engine - if the heater is sufficient to prevent it boiling at tickover when your cooling fan packs up (and my experience suggests it is... ;)) then it should be able to deliver about the same power as the engine takes to idle - 2 or 3 hp?

Sorry can't help . Have not used the heater in the 90 for 3 years. In fact the lever Has not moved of cold and in fact not even used the fan for 3 years.

Pretty much the same with the 110 Don't even know if the fan works in that one too :rolleyes: