Heath Robinson eat your heart out

bishbosh

As the Bishtail is off the road at the moment, :( I thought I'd set about improving my winch bumper.

When I had it made I asked for these pin and jaw recovery points to be fitted (it was all the rage back then)

BumperRecovery0014.JPG

Unfortunately, they aren't the best as they are fiddly to use and you cannot get a winch hook behind them as the space is too small. I decided that I would replace them with a pair of simple loops welded to the bumper.

So yesterday I set off to my local scrappy / steel stock holder for a rummage in the bins. 10 minutes and six quid later I was the proud owner of 3m of 25 x 5 EA ( to stiffen the winch mounting plate that I have bent :unsure::ph34r: but that's another story) a metre of thick walled tube, some thick plate and a fist full of round bar

BumperRecovery0013.JPG

BumperRecovery0002.JPG

As I don't have a vice, or even anything remotely robust enough to bolt a vice to, I had to do a bit of lateral thinking. My £10 workmate is made of Emmental so I took my steel plate, thick walled tube and a lardy Range Rover and did this:

BumperRecovery0005a.JPG

Throw in a bit of old gas pipe and some brute force over ignorance and you get this:

BumperRecovery0008.JPG

You have to do this in stages to get a good radius and keep withdrawing the gas pipe as you bend it

BumperRecovery0009.JPG

I needed an internal radius of 100mm to fit the bumper. The first two were a bit small but the next two weren't bad…. B)

BumperRecovery0011.JPG

BumperRecovery0010.JPG

Now all I have to do is cut off the old ones and find some kind soul who will weld on the new ones……… :unsure::blink:

Nope, the ends will lie on top and beneath the bumper allowing two runs of fillet weld about 75mm long, like this:

recoveryeyesketch1.jpg

Even with a teeny 3mm fillet weld the recovery point will be worth about 15te (before safety factors and assuming the bar is stronger, which it isn't - about 5te.)

They will be positioned in line with the chassis rails so the bumper will have two stiffening gussets in the C section too.

Two of them on the front should see me straight.

I'd like to publicly state, for the record, that I haven't been stuck for six months now!

So there!! :P:P:P

Of course, it might help if I had actually driven the damned thing since Tony's birthday!! :ph34r:

Anyhow Dicky, you're not exactly squeeky clean now are you...... :unsure:;)

So yesterday I set off to my local scrappy / steel stock holder for a rummage in the bins. 10 minutes and six quid later I was the proud owner of 3m of 25 x 5 EA ( to stiffen the winch mounting plate that I have bent but that's another story) a metre of thick walled tube, some thick plate and a fist full of round bar

Sounds like a handy place to know, so go on tell me where?

My welding mate is a bugger to get hold of at the mo as he's busy with school work, otherwise I could probably get him to do it for a pint. You in a rush?

Of course, it might help if I had actually driven the damned thing since Tony's birthday!! :ph34r:

Glad someone else uses theirs as much as I do mine, apart from the odd run to the gym to keep it turning over it just sits there........even thinking of selling it :huh:

Relax Dicky!!! :lol:

Just pointing out that you've been stuck your fair share too...! :D

Mark (90), the steel scrappy bloke is on Winterstoke Road in Weston. You'll probably know it -on the LHS as you leave town opposite the entrance to Halfrauds.

Mark (005) - I don't plan on keeping it that way........ :blink: , and you can't sell it coz you're teamed up with me again for Tony's Birthday..... and you promised to get a winch too........ :unsure:

Mark (005) - I don't plan on keeping it that way........ :blink: , and you can't sell it coz you're teamed up with me again for Tony's Birthday..... and you promised to get a winch too........ :unsure:

IF I do, I may get something for ~£1500 - £2000 to bash around in and spend the rest on a new bike & upgrading my Audi (have to spend it quick, otherwise the Sandbag will)

Oh, and there is the small matter of an impending hybrid arriving :blink:

Relax Dicky!!! :lol:

Just pointing out that you've been stuck your fair share too...! :D

Phew, I think I must have a guilty conscience! :ph34r:

Yeah I'm very capable of getting stuck myself :lol: Unfortunately the last time was in the car rather than the 90, but at least it's easy to push out of fields :D