Suggestion for shocks with reseviors

Hi all,

Now considering a pair of LR shocks

specs need to be

+5 from LR std as a minimum, plus 6 may be good

Resevior type / small canister / overall canister size etc

Pin Pin Type

Adjustable, ........either via outside knob or / and / pref via kit to change 'contents' if range of twiddling not enough

NOT air shocks

Have thought FOX but they are not exactly cheap, what are the alternatives ?

Names and Part / Model numbers would be good

Nige

Not very many options in pin-to-pin type and even fewer if you discount Fox-like prices. Milner's Varidamps that I use on the racer are available with standard LR fitment and are excellent, but not cheap.

Lots of others, including Procomp do remote reservoirs etc, but usually at Fox-like prices.

H

Why do you want resevoir ones? If a challenge car don't see the point.

I would say (my opinion) resevoir shocks work better at speed hence safari racers etc using them,

I have terra firma's on my range rover which i use in france they come in to there own once upto about 40mph apart from that there stiff.

And i run Foxs on my racer which are superb imported from America (downsouth motorsport on ebay.com)

You could always make your own? No - really, it's not that dumb an idea!

Use an ordinary hydraulic ram. Connect the two ends together via a needle valve to set the rate. If you want to add more control - use a pair of needle valves with non return valves back to back in opposite directions to control compression / extension separately.

To compensate for the difference in swept volumes between the ends, you need an accumulator. This can be as simple as a can full of oil with a load of polystyrene beads (which squash to take up the difference in volume).

Si

Why do you want resevoir ones? If a challenge car don't see the point.

I would say (my opinion) resevoir shocks work better at speed hence safari racers etc using them,

I have terra firma's on my range rover which i use in france they come in to there own once upto about 40mph apart from that there stiff.

And i run Foxs on my racer which are superb imported from America (downsouth motorsport on ebay.com)

Quite simply I think I will need res shock as I wnat a long length but as short a body as possible :)

Long travel shocks with no res tend to have large cannisters accordingly, so my "Cunning Plan"

means res shocks for a different reson to maybe why many go for them :)

I want adjustable / buildable to get closer to what I am after, and maybe even have

2 settings - road and fun off road

Nige

Cheviot4x4 have some of the terrafirma reservoir shocks in stock, might be worth a call to ask about them. dont know about price or spec sorry.

The terrafirma, like many of the other cheaper reservoir shocks are standard height. I assume they go for standard to meet the volumes in sales required to meet these price point and the market they are trying to address

Steve

if you are going to the expense of res shocks and all that malarky about adjustability - why not bin the standard shock/spring combo and go for some coilovers?

you can get the exact spring rates, lengths and adjustability you want and the damping is pretty much infinitely adjustable - plus it comes in a very neat and compact package.

FOA are a cheaper alternative to Fox, King, etc.

They are modelled on King as far as I can tell, but use high pressure castings for the piston and floating piston instead of CNC aluminium to get the cheap price. They take King rebuild kits too.

Obviously rod ends as well, no pins.

Most all US off road race type shocks have no external adjustability, exxy Euro stuff like Ohlins, Reiger, Donerre, etc have external adjustments but are $$$$. Some Fox have bump adjustment only on the can, but this is limited to the 5/8" shaft models.

OME have race versions of their LTR and so may be able to do a pin/pin version too, but again they will be $$$ and no external adjustability.

Easy way to instal a remote can on any damper is get an old monotube damper, chuck the guide housing, piston and shaft, turn up a new end cap, re-use the floating piston and install a schraeder valve in the end cap, drill/tap/braze an NPT fitting, add hose and you have a remote can.

FWIW, Fox's adjustable bump system using a revolving drum with a series of holes is much more repeatable and usually better on a vehicle with 'normal' shaft travel. I know of plenty of people that have rebuilt things like Penskes and when dynoed they have ended up with different start positions on the rebound bleeds on all four shocks thanks to the needle valves, although I don't think we ever had any problems with Ohlins years ago when a mate used them on customer cars.

thats what i'm doing - coilovers. makes a lot of sense, springs available in all sorts of rate, even can do a dual spring setup, to make a totally progressive setup. vehicle height is easily adjustable - the list goes on.

And once you have taken the grinder to remove the stock spring/schock brackets you realize that there is more than enough space and not as much work as it seems at first and you will be wonderting why you havn't done it many years ago.

cheers

if you are going to the expense of res shocks and all that malarky about adjustability - why not bin the standard shock/spring combo and go for some coilovers?

you can get the exact spring rates, lengths and adjustability you want and the damping is pretty much infinitely adjustable - plus it comes in a very neat and compact package.

Terrafirma Remote Reservoir shocks avaiable from Frogs Island 4x4.

Tf401 (front)

tf402 (rear)

The Terrafirma remote reservoir shocks are ideal for long distance endurance events especially when fitted to heavily laden vehicles. The shocks have a massive 20mm shaft with a 40mm piston and 57mm large capacity shock body.

Adjustable nitrogen pressure between 60 and 200psi provides amazing performance in all conditions. Factory set gas pressure for immediate fitment.

Open length 600mm, closed length 370mm. (front shocks, standard landrover fitment)

Open length 595mm, closed length 375mm. (rear shocks, standard landrover fitment)

Hope this helps

Dan

Terrafirma Remote Reservoir shocks avaiable from Frogs Island 4x4.

Tf401 (front)

tf402 (rear)

The Terrafirma remote reservoir shocks are ideal for long distance endurance events especially when fitted to heavily laden vehicles. The shocks have a massive 20mm shaft with a 40mm piston and 57mm large capacity shock body.

Adjustable nitrogen pressure between 60 and 200psi provides amazing performance in all conditions. Factory set gas pressure for immediate fitment.

Open length 600mm, closed length 370mm. (front shocks, standard landrover fitment)

Open length 595mm, closed length 375mm. (rear shocks, standard landrover fitment)

Hope this helps

Dan

Erm

Nope it doesn't

Want +5 or 6 as said above

Nige :(

Quite simply I think I will need res shock as I wnat a long length but as short a body as possible :)

Long travel shocks with no res tend to have large cannisters accordingly, so my "Cunning Plan"

means res shocks for a different reson to maybe why many go for them :)

I want adjustable / buildable to get closer to what I am after, and maybe even have

2 settings - road and fun off road

Nige

I maybe wrong here so forgive me! But the shafts of the shock is still going to go in to the cannister so a longer shaft and a shorter cannister wouldn't make any difference?my foxs and my terrafirma shaft is the same length or there abouts of the cannister.

I thought the resevoir was there to aid cooling???? as on a rough safari like Hogmoor enclosure they get mega hot.

I may be wrong if so tell me to f off!

FOA are a cheaper alternative to Fox, King, etc.

They are modelled on King as far as I can tell, but use high pressure castings for the piston and floating piston instead of CNC aluminium to get the cheap price. They take King rebuild kits too.

Obviously rod ends as well, no pins.

My FOA shockies were delivered earlier this week. I went for 2-1/2" 14" stroke external bypass units. The were considerably cheaper than equivalent Fox or Swayaway.

post-62-1237538909_thumb.jpg

I bought my Bils 7100 short body 10" travel last September and started fitting them last Saturday :rolleyes:

hopefully the old Cube will be running tomorrow!

61.6 cm extended

35.7 cm compressed

post-76-1237551140_thumb.jpg

post-76-1237551167_thumb.jpg

post-76-1237551194_thumb.jpg

I bought my Bils 7100 short body 10" travel last September and started fitting them last Saturday :rolleyes:

hopefully the old Cube will be running tomorrow!

61.6 cm extended

35.7 cm compressed

Looking good Michele.

Nice John.

Did you source them through the Oz importer or direct from the US ?

I bought them through their online order system. Fortunately they were dispatched in 2 packages and paperwork value of each was inside the gst threshhold :) I bought 4 identical units to make it simpler if I want to get a spare later.

I like what Michele has done as far as performance for $ value. I nearly went that way (7100 billies) but with 14" travel myself.