Steering wheel swap.

Searched the archives but still unsure, does anyone know whether the later 'soft feel' 300tdi type steering wheel would easily be swapped for my 1991 200tdi original bigger 'Rangie' type wheel. Also, is it a worthwhile swap, I fancy this smaller wheel but it must be original, cheers all.

Searched the archives but still unsure, does anyone know whether the later 'soft feel' 300tdi type steering wheel would easily be swapped for my 1991 200tdi original bigger 'Rangie' type wheel. Also, is it a worthwhile swap, I fancy this smaller wheel but it must be original, cheers all.

Have a look here:

Steeringwheels

Edwin.

Thanks Ralph, yea i've seen a pic. of your wheel- did it fit straight on no problem?

Yes, the earleir vehicles [mines '89] have a 36 spline 'thin' column, later vehicles mostly all 300Tdi have the 48 spline 'Thick' column, obviously thin & thick wheels will not swap over, but the top of the range models -- i.e. County & XS models uae the early 36 spline column & all others the thick version.

trying not to do a thread hijack....

but what other landrovers use the thick 48 spline columns? Cos i fancy changing the very worn out 300tdi wheel with something smaller and plusher.

What do discovery and P38 etc use?

Or will a nice metro turbo half leather jobbie fit?

worth noting that the range rover classic leather wheel fits too and has a much nicer (in my opinion) centre boss cover, thats it you can put up with the range rover badge on the steering wheel of your defender.

Dave

Yep, that's what the Defender XS wheel is based on but without the criuse control switches & embossed RR words.

trying not to do a thread hijack....

but what other landrovers use the thick 48 spline columns? Cos i fancy changing the very worn out 300tdi wheel with something smaller and plusher.What do discovery and P38 etc use?

Or will a nice metro turbo half leather jobbie fit?

SW.jpg

:rolleyes:

metro wheel would fit the earlier column as most mid 80's BL stuff has the 36spline bosses

metro and other austin rover fare is 48 spline a'la 300tdi. i swapped my 36 spline column over to fit one of these.

i think 36 is a rover spline, which may fit sd1 and 1st gen rover 800. i've never had a steering wheel off the latter to test though.

• 5 weeks later...
cheers guys - going to trawl ebay now for a nice metro or mini leather wheel seems they`re 48 spline!

Confused now, bought a thin type xs wheel on ebay, should be right according to the chart but come to fit it and its got the flippin fat type spline within the wheel so is too big for my thin spline. It seems some XS type wheels must have fat splines? Does anyone need one, its brand new too?

Confused now, bought a thin type xs wheel on ebay, should be right according to the chart but come to fit it and its got the flippin fat type spline within the wheel so is too big for my thin spline. It seems some XS type wheels must have fat splines? Does anyone need one, its brand new too?

shove a photo up,

does it look like this one [mine] leather covered XS 110 Station Wagon with the Range Rover flat centre pad.

post-20-1240062318_thumb.jpg

Yours is a ANR1972 like this one no leather covering.

I swapped from the 4 spoke RR style to this XS version.my new wheel has LR Part number ANR1972 stamped into it but is actually either a Tomb Raider QTB102760PMA or a STC60510 variant it came with the raised centre pad QTB102720.

the wheel diameter I measured at 16 inches, 1 inch less than the original 4 spoke wheel.

if you pull the pad off the part number of the wheel is on the centre area & on the back of the pad.

my flat centre pad [ex-RR] is NTC3645

Yours is a ANR1972 like this one no leather covering.

I swapped from the 4 spoke RR style to this XS version.my new wheel has LR Part number ANR1972 stamped into it but is actually either a Tomb Raider QTB102760PMA or a STC60510 variant it came with the raised centre pad QTB102720.

the wheel diameter I measured at 16 inches, 1 inch less than the original 4 spoke wheel.

if you pull the pad off the part number of the wheel is on the centre area & on the back of the pad.

my flat centre pad [ex-RR] is NTC3645

Correct Ralph, its ANR 1972 but def. the thick splines, whats this off then? so I can try to sell it, cheers. Vinyl rim yes. Pad no. OTR 02760 / 16563C.

reckon it's for the county station wagon which now sits below the XS SW in the 110 range, the other models hi-cap/hardtop & pick up still use the 300Tdi style wheel, so all these & the county SW use the thcker 48 spline column.

Microcat confirms the above thoughts :D so it should fit any model with the thick 48 spline column, I didn't know there were 2 versions of this wheel

hth :D