Brake pipe Flaring tool

white90

Flares are like for like - double (mushroom-shaped), or single (like a trumpet).

End fittings the same - same thread and male or female. You can put a long male fitting in place of a short one, but obviously not the other way round or the joint may not tighten. If you don't want/need to change a very long brake pipe - such as front to rear, for instance, then it's fine to make a join in the old pipe by using a male and female fitting with the appropriate ends (single and double in this case).

If you don't have any end fittings then it's fine to re-use the old ones if they are still in good condition.

Les.

I've had the cheapest type for years and it works fine, I find a quick practice on an offcut to remind yourself of how far the pipe needs to stick up from the tool helps make a decent job.

Saying that, I hate faffing round with copper pipe so all mine are braided TFE now :P just push the end on and do it up with spanners.

What Steve said - I use the "cheap" TFE stuff from ThinkAuto. It does work out relatively pricey compared to copper (~£250 to do the entire truck) but as I said I hate faffing about with copper, plus I can work on bits and just move them around - swing any caliper out of the way to do wheel bearings/discs etc., I changed the brake servo without undoing any pipes and all you need to re-make a hose in the field is spanners (although spare fittings/olives are a reasonable idea too).

• 11 months later...

Well after much searching I have on route:

I have had one of those for years, works fine on copper or cunifer pipe, but i do use a dab of red brake rubber grease as a lubricant for the die in the pipe end to avoid it tearing or scuffing the joint surface. It was originally bought to do the rear chassis steel pipe on an old 109" 2a that was fine apart from the last 18" or so so an in line joiner and a short cunifer section, job done.

Well mine appeared with the Postie today

I got it for £25 inc postage which I was very pleased with

The seller Was great to deal with he even sent it before the ££ arrived with him

Nice to deal with good old fashioned honest folk.

just got to do some trial flares to see the best way to use it.

Also got some Irwin bolt grip sockets for removing rounded nuts/bolts

Got them from Ebay where one seller is selling the base set and the expansion set delivered for less than the price of the two items minus postage.

Well mine appeared with the Postie today

I got it for £25 inc postage which I was very pleased with

The seller Was great to deal with he even sent it before the ££ arrived with him

Nice to deal with good old fashioned honest folk.

just got to do some trial flares to see the best way to use it.

Also got some Irwin Vise grip sockets for removing rounded nuts/bolts

Got them from Ebay where one seller is selling the base set and the expansion set delivered for less than the price of the two items minus postage.

Glad you found one Tony, I have had mine for more than 20 years - brilliant tool!

If you don't have the instructions, I think I still have mine.

Give me a shout if you want me to copy them for you.

Regards,

Diff

Yes please

that would be a great help.

I have been searching for one for a year almost to the day.

then I found this one in Scotland.

See if this is ok, if not I can send it to you.

Regards,

Diff

post-124-126885113911_thumb.jpg

Diff many thanks again

I made the front to rear supply line today and with the instructions the new tool made spot on double flares.

the old line was pointed out in my two MOTs but I was told to clean it and grease it, today when I removed the old one one bend and it cracked wide open.

the copper lines had been on the rear axle for less than 4months were also ruined and broke when they were removed to replace them.

today when I removed the old one one bend and it cracked wide open.

Scares me when this happens, makes me start thinking 'ooops what if.....'

the copper lines had been on the rear axle for less than 4months were also ruined and broke when they were removed to replace them.

How come? I have heard that some type of copper pipe does not like fatigue and tends to harden as a result. But brittle enough to snap? :o

Just a thought re posting details of stuff seen on ebay - many of the posts higher up this topic have links to ebay items that are no longer listed, so today's newcomers can't see what the posters have been talking about. Pictures would be far more valuable, maybe with the ebay link next to them.

Just my 2p

Nope the copper pipe as well

it had fatigued after being pulled from the axle then pushed back

it had been puled far enough to almost flatten the pipe where it enters the caliper

I just pushed it back into place but when I came to remove them to fit the new braided lines it snapped.

The ebay references were tools.

I prefer posting pics :)

now I have replaced all the rear lines

The Fronts are next on the list.