Brake pipe Flaring tool

white90

You should have THIS ONE

Yuo could get away with THIS ONE

At a push you could even use THIS ONE with a little care and practice.

It's all down to money.

I survived for years with the cheapest type and if it's used on copper pipe they work fine. I now have one of the expensive ones which is fab and does a perfect job every time.

I think you would probably do best with the mid range model as a compromise.

I'm sure an expert will be along soon! HANDCLAPSMILEY.gif

You should have THIS ONE

Yuo could get away with THIS ONE

At a push you could even use THIS ONE with a little care and practice.

It's all down to money.

I survived for years with the cheapest type and if it's used on copper pipe they work fine. I now have one of the expensive ones which is fab and does a perfect job every time.

I think you would probably do best with the mid range model as a compromise.

I'm sure an expert will be along soon! HANDCLAPSMILEY.gif

I've been using the last one (cheapest) for many years without problems. Does three different sizes of pipe so will do Brake, clutch and fuel lines. If you get clever with it you can form the lip in fuel pipe to stop hose coming of the joint.

Steve

I bought this one quite a few years ago, less than £20 and obviously cheap rubbish ;)

The probable thousands of flares I've made with it have all been carp too :lol:

med_gallery_2_211_861521.jpg

Les :P

I've been using the same as Les for many years. Not amazing, but produces better flares when used in the vice rather than by hand. I've seen them crop up at autojumbles occasionally.

I've been using the last one (cheapest) for many years without problems. Does three different sizes of pipe so will do Brake, clutch and fuel lines. If you get clever with it you can form the lip in fuel pipe to stop hose coming of the joint.

Steve

Ditto, these are fine for occasional use, just take your time and practice, mounting then in a vice helps too.

funny, after snapping a line last weekend in a river section I'm looking for a cheap tool too :)

this looked like quite a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=350171507096 like the cheap one paul mentioned with a cutter and de-burrer

or this looked interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250378927670

any opinions?

funny, after snapping a line last weekend in a river section I'm looking for a cheap tool too :)

this looked like quite a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=350171507096 like the cheap one paul mentioned with a cutter and de-burrer

or this looked interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250378927670

any opinions?

The first is the one I have.

The second looks a little flimsy but difficult to tell from the pics.

The first you can use in hand but better still in a vice.

Steve

Hi I have used the cheap type for a couple of years and if used correctly it is very effective.

I am no mechanic or engineer. And this forum is always my first port of call when advise is needed.

By the way it can be used in the field if you bring copper pipe fittings and fluid.

How do you tell which flare to use? I just copy the one being replaced and take it that one was ok so do likewise.

There must be a rule of thumb though.