Removal of powdercoating...

Lars L

I bought myself a winchbumper a few years ago, and as expected, the coating has started to flake off and letting rust creep in. Is there any cunning way to get the coating off other than a gasburner and elbow grease?

It's a sod to shift. Mechanical means are very laborious if they work at all. If it's good quality gritblasting won't touch it, although something like a bumper should be able to withstand fairly serious blasting.

You're really looking at a chemical means:

Look here

Chemicals Ltd

Cirrus

If it's flaking it's more likely to be a plastic or nylon coating rather than powder.

what are the plans with the bumper if you were geting it galv's after it may be worth asking the galvers they may be able do it

otherwise there are some very strong paint removers that work, a mate got me a tin once i'll see if can get the name, removed the power coat also melted my boots sole and made the cement on the garage floor go funny

dave

I've tried with a paint remover I have at hand. It makes the surface a bit softer so it can be scraped off with a knife, but it will most probably have to be repeted a zillion times before reaching the steel.

The bumper is made by a company with "Four" in its company name... No complaints otherwise. ;)

Shot blast is going to be the easiest option , Espesialy if you get someone else to do it , If your going down the mechanical removal or blowtorch route make sure you have some breathing apperatus as that **** gives of some nasty toxic fumes .

Shot blast is going to be the easiest option , Espesialy if you get someone else to do it , If your going down the mechanical removal or blowtorch route make sure you have some breathing apperatus as that **** gives of some nasty toxic fumes .

I do gritblasting for a living and I've never been able to shift it. Some poor quality powder coating will eventually move. I'm seriously considering installing a stripping bath for powder coating and so on.

Well, I had a go this afternnon with the blowtorch and a wood chisel. Outside and it was a little windy, so I still feel OK. :) Most of the coating on the visual surfaces is gone and some sanding will probably deal with the remains.

Then I took the bumper off to find lots of loose coating with plenty of rust on the hidden parts. I think handing the thing over to a galvanizer would be the best option...

The rear bumper on my Disco is showing similar signs at its ends... :rolleyes:

Grit blasting removes it really easy.

I used to do the blasting for a powder coaters and they usually removed coating with

nitromors. They bought 5 gallon cans of methylene chloride[nitromors] and the parts were immersed in

it for 24 hours or so and the powder washed off.

Grit blasting removes it really easy.

I used to do the blasting for a powder coaters and they usually removed coating with

nitromors. They bought 5 gallon cans of methylene chloride[nitromors] and the parts were immersed in

it for 24 hours or so and the powder washed off.

Not proper powder coating it won't! at least not some of the stuff I've had in. Glass grit, J-Blast, Sand, chilled iron, won't even mark it.

We didn't have any problem removing it with chilled iron, the problem was we destroyed the sheet

metal parts doing it.

Try methylene chloride, you get it from chemical supply places, in 1989 it was about a tenner for 5 gallons. stick

it in a tank/sink and put a few inches of water on top of it to prevent it evaporting. Great way to clean cylinder

heads in. I think the powder coated stuff was left for 24 hours before being pressure washed.

Not proper powder coating it won't! at least not some of the stuff I've had in. Glass grit, J-Blast, Sand, chilled iron, won't even mark it.

I guess it depends on how well the powder coating is applied , I blasted the powder coating off my Mach 5`s with Jblast and it took about a whole bag to do each wheel .I had a small nozzle fitted though .

I have now had a good night's sleep... Since I am a dedicated DIYer, handing the bumper over to someone else is cheating :rolleyes: .

The plan now is to brush the loose rust off the rear side and treat it with a couple of coats of Owatrol followed by paint. The visible side will be sanded smooth, primered with zinkspray and then painted.

But first I will cut the brackets off and drill some new holes that will put the bumper back an inch or so. B)