Bodge of the day

I found today that "B&Q sanding pads - to fit Bosch sanders" don't fit my Bosch sander that I bought in B&Q <_< due to a lack of velcro. So, take one dead velcro-backed sanding pad, apply "no more nails" and stick to the back of the new pad. Leave to dry, then use. Sorted!

You might want to leave it to dry a little longer than my fist attempt (~1hr) as it delaminated fairly quickly :( MkII and III were better though :D

LR content - should you be painting your landy this may come in handy. Unless you use the Tonk school of vehicle paintwork ;)

I found today that "B&Q sanding pads - to fit Bosch sanders" don't fit my Bosch sander that I bought in B&Q <_< due to a lack of velcro. So, take one dead velcro-backed sanding pad, apply "no more nails" and stick to the back of the new pad. Leave to dry, then use. Sorted!

You might want to leave it to dry a little longer than my fist attempt (~1hr) as it delaminated fairly quickly :( MkII and III were better though :D

LR content - should you be painting your landy this may come in handy. Unless you use the Tonk school of vehicle paintwork ;)

Grip fill ten times better than no more nails

"Sticks like ****" is ok but not as good a GF

There is not a window cill fitted in the last ten years that hasn't got gripfill holding it down

Friend of mine had a Range Rover pickup he called "two tubes" because he reckoned he used two tubes of Gripfill to hold it all together! Oh, and it never fell apart!

Did get turned into a trialler in the end, don't know if he renamed it.

Shaun.

• 4 weeks later...

grip fill certainly is good stuff, they do another one now called 'PINK GRIP' which is equally as good, but our current fav has to be 'Clear Nails' as it sticks like grip fill but dries clear, so you cant even realy see it.

do a google search for 'hart wholesale' in southend, clear nails around £2 per tube... worth its weight in gold.

Can i add a Landrover bodge?....

Early this evening, on the way back home from about 20 miles away, the 90 started to splutter and die on a roundabout. it was struggling to keep running, and wouldnt run above about 2000 rpm.

We managed to pull over on the side of the road, and after a bit of a rummage, decided on the lift pump. luckily, we'd stopped about 200m from a tesco, so armed with garden hose pipe, a plastic cereal tub, a pair of scissors and an extra 10 litres of diesel we bodged..... , we already had 5 litres of fuel, electrical tape and bungee cords.

The union from the lift pump fitted quite nicely into the hose pipe, and the sparky tape kept it there

1.jpg

The cereal box was strapped to the mirror and bulkhead. we reckon it holds about 2L, it gave a couple a mile or two before needing refilling

2.jpg

3.jpg

and the hose pipe had a spare wheel nut screwed on the bottom to keep it down on the bottom of the 'tank'

4.jpg

After about 12L worth of fuel the main tank had been topped up enough by the return line for us to syphon off more fuel from the filler tube.

All-in, 20L or so went into the 2L cereal box. the 90 stinks of diesel, as do I, and now i've got to find a lift pump over easter weekend! yey!

Don't ya just love landrovers!!

Luke

Luke - that's brilliant!

I had an LT77 that drank (leaked mostly) ATF at such a rate that I made a remote filler with a tube which went in to the gearbox filler hole connected via a tube to a 1l oil can hung from the wing mirror.

Flow was regulated via a fold in the tube held with a cable tie such that it dripped in at about the same rate as it drank it.

It lasted a couple of hundred miles before completly seizing (so maybe the filler wasn't that good an idea after all!)

Another one I had was on my Series 2 (AEF 568A - just in case it now belongs to one of you).

The chassis had rotted some and cracked above one of the rear wheels. I couldn't weld and didn't have the money to get a grown up to do it so..........

I attached a micro-switch to the chassis such that when the crack opened up it sounded the horn. Then taught myself to drive ethe thing without the horn sounding all the time :)

Eventually decided it was a death-trap and flogged it!

Si

Si, thanks,

Chuckling at both of them, bent tube is quite a good valve :lol:

That's got to be one of the most inventive uses for a microswitch!!

I'm chuffed with the 200tdi's ability to prime itself, it ran out of fuel a couple of times, and started again after a few seconds cranking, the boat's engine sometimes needs bleeding right through to the injectors :(

The 90 is still sat in the polytunnel, can't get a lift pump and bits 'till wedneday ish, stupid easter weekend. It's not really a problem, i've been getting on with melting sierra fan shrouds and other bits and bobs, once i've fitted the X-switch i'll almost be up and running, so it'll be time to fill the cereal box again for testing. :huh:

Luke

OK another one for you!

On my Series, it was originally fitted with a Solex carb which was OK - but very worn out.

I replaced it with a webber carb which if anything was worse, or at least, you could tune it for acceleration, top speed, or economy - but not a useful combination of the three.

I took a stepper motor out of a 5 1/4 inch disk drive (remember them?) and attached it to the mixture screw and built a simple stepper controller which had a direction line and a pulse line which moved it one step in the direction required.

I dismantled an old CB and took the channel select board which conveniently had a channel up and channel down line coming out. With a bit of diode logic connected one to the other.

I had the CB channel knob and display on the dash such that I could dial up different fuel mixtures depending on what I was doing.

Channel 19 gave me top speed for on the motorway - can't remember any other useful channels though.

I guess this was a kind of pre-megasquirt solution.

Si