brake calipers

gsr341

decided to replace the pads and discs on my 300tdi 90 today (bought the bits some time ago)

removed the pads and some of the pistons are too rusted up to retract back in to the caliper .

whats the option repair or replace ?

plan was to just strip clean and replace pistons with stainless steel items with new seals .

thing is where do i go for the best parts that i require

or if i replace entire caliper what brand to go for , paddocks prices are ok but there is no brand ?

whats every ones oppinions on the best and safest way forward

a pointer to decent replacment parts would be a great help too

cheers

Dafydd

funny you should bring this up ive just had the same problem.........

ive put 300 tdi 4 pots on the back of the SJ as my fiddles wernt working properly and they were tough to get back working but after plenty of WD and a few pairs of G clamps we got them back to normal ish

BUT the front was a totally different story these were solid and like you said they were pitted to death and would not return so a quick phone call to my mate whois the manager of Bearmach in Abergavenny (01873 858085 ask for Andy Dawkins) and i was left with 3 options

1) a new pair of calipers which worked out about £180.00 i think (but in time they will still go the same way as the calipers i have already got

2) fit a new piston & seal kit (chrome)

3) the option i went for fit a new stainless steel piston & seal kit which once done should last for ever and a day once done, i think these worked out about £80 for the lot

apparently they are a bit fiddly to fit as you have to split the caliper to get best results and then spend hours cleaning all the crud and carp out of them, im lucky my mate has done it before so he will save me a lot of swearing and screaming

i think ours got so bad as we only use the SJ once or may be twice a month as its only for challenges

Nobby

Ignore these people that are unable to put a simple little seal retainer in ^^^^^^^^^:)

Be brave, save some dosh, and do it yourself. With the money you save, you could buy the missus a new frock or that new socket set that you she's always wanted :D

Les.

Ignore these people that are unable to put a simple little seal retainer in ^^^^^^^^^:)

Be brave, save some dosh, and do it yourself. With the money you save, you could buy the missus a new frock or that new socket set that you she's always wanted :D

Les.

... and if you wanted to be bold, I'm sure Uncle Les wouldn't say no to a new frock either :D

Mo :)

i replaced pistons and seals all round on my range rover without splitting the calipers but would definatly buy genuine seals as you could visualy see the difference between the pattern and genuine ones i had and couldnt use the pattern ones

well all done and what a difference it makes its like having new calipers that you can forget about i think i may just do the same to the back for the sack of that kind of money

we used the Bearmach kit and no probs with seals popping highly recommend this for any one who plays in the mud....................

well all done and what a difference it makes its like having new calipers that you can forget about i think i may just do the same to the back for the sack of that kind of money

we used the Bearmach kit and no probs with seals popping highly recommend this for any one who plays in the mud....................

Are they SS pistons in the Bearmach kit?