Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

02GF74

• 4 months later...

If anyone is looking for one of these type of helmets I have a spare YLB111 which has seen very little action, as found half way down this page:

http://www.johndavies.co.uk/nppehelmets.htm

I'll post it out for 30 squids, PM me if interested.

It's not a patch on my speedglass to be honest, but a fraction of the price and a step in the right direction from a 'dead' helmet.

Al.

I bought one of these el-cheapo-chinese helmets at Billing a couple of years ago for about £30 to replace a speedglass one which was a bit too dark.

Although it's horribly badly made - it seems to work pretty good. I'm sure there is a certain amount of snobbert about the whole thing - if it doesn't cost £150, it must be carp.

Although I do nowhere near as much welding as Chris or many others on here - I think I do enough to validate my opinion that some of these are not at all bad.

If I had a complaint, it would be that the shade knob does nothing. Seems to stay on about 9, but that's fine for most things. One day I'll buy a snazzy one that I can use for plasma cutting (almost no shade) right up to nuclear fusion welding ;) Just not yet!

Si

I'm with Si - I have an elcheapo variable solar powered one from eBlag which even shipped from the states worked out cheaper then the same helmet from a uk seller - about £30. Works for me, and has done for a couple of years now.

Mark

I guess its personal choice BUT Ive used el cheapos, ESABs, Speedglas etc and for vision, shade control, operator comfort, colour rendering, battery life and consistant shade reaction time you cant beat a top end hat, if you're not welding a lot then cheapies make a lot of sense however if you are welding on a regular basis ask yourself how much is your eyesight worth and why do engineering plants use the equipment they do? its not snobbery on my part, I weld pretty much every day.

Weld suppliers arent in the fashion business, its competitive and cut-throat so the manufaturers dont just make the price tag up - you very much pay for what you get :ph34r:

Weld suppliers arent in the fashion business

164750_med.gif

Ner!...... ;)

manufaturers dont just make the price tag up - you very much pay for what you get :ph34r:

I agree totally - but most people will not benefit from spending £100 to £150 for the limited amount of welding they do.

Si

I agree totally - but most people will not benefit from spending £100 to £150 for the limited amount of welding they do.

I did.

My welds are better as a result - partly because I am more physically relaxed and not bracing myself for getting flashed the whole time. Partly because quite frankly I can see what I'm doing much better.

I think it's great that you guys are pleased with the ones you have if they were cheaper, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I stop thinking its one of the best investments in my garage. :)

I understand your point of view, but it's not snobbery; it's pure and simple first hand experience.

Al.

Pay out for a good helmet from a reputable supplier. Then when you need replacement parts you can get them. I use Optrel Satelite Evo (OSE) and have found that most suppliers have a good parts stock. You wont find spares for the el cheapo's :blink: