cutting Ally

If the edge finish is rough, the power is up too high. I cut ally using a plasma cutter, and so long as you use a straight edge the finish is great.

Ali + Plasma is superb, but as many here have said quality of cut

can be an issue

I use a piece of flat wood strip, about 8mm thick as an edge and this helps hugely, then I clean

up with a file, I did this on trimming the wings (3mm) on the North Off road cage I fitted

with a clean up and with the wood, looks as tho guilotined :)

Nige

Thanks guys - I'm cutting circles....

I was concerned that it might cut into the back face of the box section, where I only want to cut into the front. Is that a danger?

The internal gap is approx 10mm.

Sorry for the beginners questions

For cutting circles I have a long rectangular lump of MDF with a

selection of Hole sawed holes in, clamp on and then plasma around the mdf hole :)

With box 10mm ali make sure the power setting is as low as possible for the cut

and move as fast as you can to cut, wopuld suggest a few practise runs 1st if you can

you should be OK if you get the movement speed and power settings right :huh:

Nige

I'm enlarging some existing holes, but not concentrically, so no scope to use a hole saw.

You could always clamp a bit of wood behind the hole you want to enlarge and use the type of hole saw which has a pilot drill in the centre.

Regards

Richard (Know nothing about plasmas)

You could always clamp a bit of wood behind the hole you want to enlarge and use the type of hole saw which has a pilot drill in the centre.

Regards

Richard (Know nothing about plasmas)

Exactly what I would be doing.

If you can stick a bit of scrap steel or something behind the face you want to cut, it will protect the rear face. Use the minimum power possible (or if you can protect the rear face sufficiently, use the correct power for the cut). It all depends on your particular plasma really, play around with some scrap first.

Al.

You could be right. Four holes - each going from an inch to 2 1/2".

I have some steel porting tools - but they are taking a long time and I don't think are cut out for removing this much material.

I have a dremel and a few stones but they again are just too small for the job. The Ally is about 3mm thick.

Maybe I should see if Aldi have any Air Die Grinders left - or check out screwfix.