200tdi versus 300tdi engine

weel i guess all i can say is were all entiltled to our opinion and i think the 300tdi is a far superior engine. It appears i may have slightly underestimated Les's experience but he was giving it a good slating it appeared to me so thought i'd stick up for the 300tdi. I seem to have got him grossly wrong and my apolgies to Les.

But u have to admit it did make for interesting topic to read, and granted a very sore mouth for me!!

B)

• 2 years later...

I speak from my own experience only, just because yours is excellent, doesn't mean they all are.

I mean - some people think the Austin Allegro is a good motor :)

Les.

Can we find two Austin Allegros, fit one with a 200 and the other with a 300 and see which lasts the longest??

That might sort the argument here!!

I have not had any experience with the 200TDI engine but didn't I hear or read somewhere that it was loosely based on the Austin Montego engine? Most of the interior trim and fittings was. Myself, I strongly believe that it's not the engine that's the important issue, it's the way you look after it, regular service and maintenance is the key. Faults and failure of components in either engine is in the main just the luck of the draw and either can suffer but if you want it to give good service and long life, respect it.

just read this post and found it slightly amusing that refinement and quietness are being used to describe a land rover !!! come on lets face facts , if u want refinment and quietness why are we driving land rovers ???

anyway back to the point, my own opinion entirely before anyone jumps down my neck! 200 tdi everytime! f*****g great engine . had one strip a couple of teeth off the cambelt , no cracked head problems just bent push rods which where hammered straight and reused (may sound drastic and a bodge but it works ! and needed it back on the road when parts suppliers where closed). the same cannot be said for the 300TDI

altho this is only my opinion , of all the landrover owners i know , i haven,t heard any of them say that the 300 is a better engine . the idea of fitting the electronic,s to the fuel pump instead of a normal throtle cable was bad move . at least when the alarm has problems you could get the motor running with a bit of wiring bypassed , not with the electronics on the fuel pump !!

was a bit surprised when i read the 200TDI block is the same as the TD block ???? is this true i thought it was different .

Steve.

Lots of people are driving round with Ford Valencia engines in their fiestas and ka's... They were **** back in the 60's when it was first developed as the kent engine, and its still **** now in its latest incarnation.

The 300TDi was DESIGNED to improve upon the 200TDi, thats its whole purpose of existing. Its a newer more refined engine, and as the cost between them is negligable you'd be mad to pick the older engine.

Errr, excuse me, but the Kent engine wasn't so bad - later CVHs were a lot worse - and as the Kent is the basis for Formula Ford, I needn't say any more... (except that I'm perhaps biased as one powers my Morgan :) ).

As for 300 vs 200 the 300 seemed to suffer with more and more serious, problems. It's a reputation thing. The 300 was designed to be quieter and reduce emissions to meet changing legislation - doesn't mean it's a better engine, just different...

Cheers,

err i have a 300tdi and ive had an austin allegro and liked it my choices are either rubbish or im lucky to find good ones ha ha ha :P

les is top bloke though and i would always ask him first.

ps a knackered 200tdi is not as good as a mint 300tdi and vice versa which ever one is mint and cheap in my book is a winner.

Errr, excuse me, but the Kent engine wasn't so bad - later CVHs were a lot worse - and as the Kent is the basis for Formula Ford, I needn't say any more... (except that I'm perhaps biased as one powers my Morgan :) ).

As for 300 vs 200 the 300 seemed to suffer with more and more serious, problems. It's a reputation thing. The 300 was designed to be quieter and reduce emissions to meet changing legislation - doesn't mean it's a better engine, just different...

Cheers,

if the kent engine in fords is what i know as the crossflow engine , it was and still is a very good engine . still being tuned and raced today with good results !!

back to the 200 vs 300 thing , not really anything to do with the engine but i,m useing a 300 radiator on my 200Tdi disco , simply cos it was 50 quid brand new when i needed one just had to play about with an old motorbike header pipe to make the pipework fit, does this make mine a 250 TDI ???? lol.

err i have a 300tdi and ive had an austin allegro and liked it my choices are either rubbish or im lucky to find good ones ha ha ha :P

les is top bloke though and i would always ask him first.

ps a knackered 200tdi is not as good as a mint 300tdi and vice versa which ever one is mint and cheap in my book is a winner.

totally agree with u on the last point , even tho i prefer 200,s !!!

steve.

I have to say i think u either need to get a good mechanic or learn some skills mate, i've owned a 300tdi for best part of 10years, done about 100,000 miles in it, seriously abuse it offroad (run two hydrualic winches fom it) and never had half the problems u had.

I could list several easy cures to half the problems u've listed but it sounds like u wouldn't listen anyway!!

Al li can say is, either one which ever comes up at right price and fits the best. Wouldn't mind recommending a 300tdi to anyone mines been sounds, yeah had problems but nothing that can't be easily sorted!

Mike

Whoops!

if the kent engine in fords is what i know as the crossflow engine , it was and still is a very good engine . still being tuned and raced today with good results !!

That's the one! :)

... does this make mine a 250 TDI ???? lol.

:rofl:

So... If I'm looking to chuck my 1990 110's old DT out (It's only done 83000 but hey - 200 or 300 - it'll be an improvement!) What's going to be involved with A - 200, and B - 300 installation? Unless the engine I source comes with a box I'll be keeping my LT77 - at least until it cries enough. Chances are the engine'll be from a Disco, 'cos they're cheap. I'll be avoiding an EDC 300Tdi like the plague - I had one in my Disco XS (Not what I'd call quiet, by the way!) and apart from a couple of starters and tensioner thingies the only problems I had were EDC related. It was loads better after it had a mechanical fuel pump - much better starting and running. So - which is easier/cheaper to use to replace the DT...?