discovery disk brakes on a series 3

Stroppy Cow

It's called the search button :P

You can't easily put the brakes from a Disco (or Defender, or Range Rover) onto a Series. The back is a bit of work but not too bad, the fronts are far more involved.

You can swap axles but again, you have two routes:

- Convert the car to coil springs (a lot of chassis mods)

- Convert the axles to leaf-spring mounts (easier but still not a straight swap)

The easiest route is to sell it to someone who wants a Series and buy a Defender :ph34r:

It's called the search button :P

You can't easily put the brakes from a Disco (or Defender, or Range Rover) onto a Series. The back is a bit of work but not too bad, the fronts are far more involved.

You can swap axles but again, you have two routes:

- Convert the car to coil springs (a lot of chassis mods)

- Convert the axles to leaf-spring mounts (easier but still not a straight swap)

The easiest route is to sell it to someone who wants a Series and buy a Defender :ph34r:

ill be buying off the shelve then.....all i want to do is do away with the disk brakes even just the fronts...had various defenders dont want another.... :D

ill be buying off the shelve then.....all i want to do is do away with the disk brakes even just the fronts...had various defenders dont want another.... :D

confused now, :wacko: your asking about fitting disc brakes & now saying you want to do away with them :rolleyes:

I investigated the Zeus conversion a few years ago. IIRC the pads are standard LR90/110 but the discs are customs by Zeus. If for what ever reason the company ceases trading your £750 conversion then becomes scrap. Was enough to put me off anyway.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Answer to the original question: An American by the name of Timm Cooper occasionally makes small production runs of special hubs and swivel housings he designed for a disc brake conversion. The conversion uses Defender/Discovery I/Range Rover classic brake components. I believe there are currently none available.

I have a web page that gives a brief overview of the various conversions that are available:

disc brake conversions

Here is a photo of my front disc brakes (1960 SII, 109)

DiscAssembled.jpg

Uses off the shelf GM brake components used on several US GM vehicles.

Answer to the original question: An American by the name of Timm Cooper occasionally makes small production runs of special hubs and swivel housings he designed for a disc brake conversion. The conversion uses Defender/Discovery I/Range Rover classic brake components. I believe there are currently none available.

I have a web page that gives a brief overview of the various conversions that are available:

disc brake conversions

Here is a photo of my front disc brakes (1960 SII, 109)

DiscAssembled.jpg

Uses off the shelf GM brake components used on several US GM vehicles.

Hi TeriAnn,

Welcome to the forum, good to see you here. Your input and experience is sure to be an asset to everyone that posts, and lurks, here.

As a long time follower of your website showing various modification ideas I know that you will be able to steer us in the right direction.

G.

Hi TeriAnn,

Welcome to the forum, good to see you here. Your input and experience is sure to be an asset to everyone that posts, and lurks, here.

As a long time follower of your website showing various modification ideas I know that you will be able to steer us in the right direction.

G.

that looks rather nice.....and unlike the zeus and other conversions you,d always be able to get parts if companys went bust....