Bobtailing the Vogue!

RocKeR

Last week I finally pulled my finger out and started to dismantel the back-end of the Rangie (1991 RRC, 4 Door 3.9 Vogue SE) ready for an 18"ish shortening exercise under the watchful eyes of Nick (Rogue Vogue). He's doing the cutting and welding bit.. I'm stripping!

To that end, I'm interested to know what people have done with the fuel tank. Any chance of posting any pictures or interesting ideas? I've seen Bobtail.org already.

I gather BishBosh used his original tank. Mine's a big plastic thing, and would take up quite some space...

Piccies of the build (wreck) so far coming later.

Ahhhh... the old fuel tank conundrum... :rolleyes:

On my Semi-bob (only 12 inches :ph34r: ) I used the original metal tank and welded up some supports where the back seats would have been. Sorry the picture aint that good, but you get the jist...

smallImgp3137.jpg

I've then boxed it in with some lovely lovely chequer plate :)

Dan

You should take a look at the P38 RR fuel tank. It's nice and shallow although long, but would fit sideways ok instead of legthways and has 100l capacity, which should be just enough for a play day! :P:P

Cheers

Steve

Good idea that! I don't really want to reduce the range if I can help it. I'll have to see what's knocking about at Sodbury at the weekend.

Don't you just love these cut first, plan later builds! :rolleyes:

I did indeed use the original plastic tank - primarily (well only) because of budget constraints.

With a 15" bob it takes up a lot of the available space - the metal frame it is in with built in recovery gear locker spans from wheelarch to wheel arch and has about 4" behind it (rearwards) wqhere my waffle sit and 6-8" (can't remember exactly) in front before the floor slopes down to the rear seat footwell. Just enough room behind the seats to stand the spare upright on a frame (mounted to the tank box) but only 235 x 85 - any wider and the seat would have to scoot forward a fair bit.

My setup works well for me and as the whole bobtailing cost me less than £500 (£200 for the bloke to do the welding :D ) I am well pleased with the result.

If I had the cash and was in your position now, I would bite the bullet and get a custom tank made - 90 - 100L. With a bit of forethought and planning you should be able to create a nice lot of easily accessible space around the tank through rear doors and tailgate so you can get at recovery gear no matter what predicament you are in :unsure: . Remember it is bluddy difficult reaching into the middle of the loadspace so that is where I would put the tank as well as any other gear you rarely need to access.

I'll take some piccies later and post them up.

OK, here are some grainy shakey snaps for you! :unsure:

General view from the rear :blink: with X-shaft on display if you look closely ;):rolleyes:

DSC00091.JPG

a view showing clearance to the tailgate

DSC00092.JPG

looking forwards to the spare wheel mount

DSC00096.JPG

same view but showing the recovery gear locker

DSC00097.JPG

and lastly, a crappy shot to try and show the distance to the sloping bit of floor. You can just see the shiny triangle at the bottom of the shot to gauge the distance.

DSC00098.JPG

Thanks all, especially for the pictures. We're going to have a good measure up at the weekend. It'll be an interesting puzzle, especially seeing as I would like to retain the range, and the four seats! I'll keep you posted as the build progresses.

Whats wrong with a jerrycan, a bungee and some hosepipe stuffed into the top of it?

hat/coat/door slam etc...... :D:D

Funnily enough Jim, we have experienced exactly that a few years back returning from the Sand Safari at Slab Common (I think it was). Our mate Lee filled the tank and fuel filter of his Suzuki with sand following a series of rather excitable splashes through some water runs. In the end he did exactly what you suggested. A 5 litre petrol can bungied to the back with the fuel line coming out of the lid!

A nightmare journey but amazingly he did make it.... :huh:

A mate had a tank made with baffles that was roughly 300mm x 100mm x 1.5m with two pump pickups that fitted behind the front seats sat on the floor in his pick up bobtaile that worked very well and you don't notice it and it takes up very little room.

(it was a little bigger because it took 60lt)

Graham,

I think you will struggle to keep the rear seats and take 18" off the back and end up with a usable vehicle.

I think you'll end up with zero load space for gear and where will the fuel tank go, not to mention the spare tyre....?

Go for a two seater then you can have a nice leather bench seat in the workshop! B)

Holyzeus, if you go to 'My Controls' you can create an album and upload pics to it. These appear in the gallery and can be linked to from posts. HTH cos your rangie looks interresting :)

• 2 weeks later...
There are now pics in the gallery, tank appears 6mm steel has a drain plug sit between the chassis rails and measures 600x275x275mm. My dodgy maths makes that out at about 11.9 gallons, can anyone confirm?

Those measurements give you a capacity of about 45 Litres, or just under 10 gallons! That's a bit small for my liking. The range on the V8 is dodgy enough as it is...., especially at 15 mpg - tops! :huh: