Diesel or V8?

Your last comment suggests a V8, but with no information on what you intend to use the 110 for it's rather hard to give any advice.

I don't need to drive on a daily basis so I'm not that picky about milage and I like the sound of the V8.

As for usage it will probably be driving around the UK (mostly hauling MTBs) and hopefully taking it to Africa at some point.

I know petrol isn't awesome for africa but it was more for the enjoyment while driving around the UK.

So the question is probably more if you get more power for your money if you get a V8 then a diesel.

They stopped making the V8 Defenders relatively early on, and they all had de-tuned carbed lumps which made nearly half the power of an EFi Range Rover. Any V8 is either going to be a fairly early (read: potentially rusty) one, or a conversion which can bring all sorts of problems depending on who's done it. On the plus side, no-one wants a V8 these days because of the fuel costs, so they're always cheaper to buy than a similar diesel model.

Done well, a V8 Landy is brilliant fun (mine is :P ) and the MPG may not be much different to a TDi (20mpg is achievable with a good EFI V8 as opposed to 25-35 from a TDi).

As for which engine is right for you, only you can decide.

and the MPG may not be much differentto a TDi (20mpg is achievable with a good EFI V8 as opposed to 25-35 from a TDi).

using your figures

V8 - 20mpg on a good day

tdi - 35mpg on a good day

thats quite a bit different!

i went for a v8 90 because i wanted the soundtrack and due to the amount of miles i do per year - under 3k in it - petrol costs was not my main concern.

my one is one of the early (rusty) ones but i still love the noise and as i drive a diesel all day it makes a change to have a nice exhaust note.

Until my dizzy went Pete i was getting about 16-17mpg on LPG. Currently i am getting 15-16mpg (no mech advance). This is cruising up and down the m3/m25 everyday at 60mph or thereabouts.

I pay 51.9ppl for LPG... Petrol is what? 104.9ppl?

Using 15mpg and 51.9ppl for gas/ 104.9 for Petrol i therefore get the cost equivalent of a Petrol vehicle returning around 30.3mpg.

Not too shabby for an old LR. :D

Anyway- with completely no bias i say go V8 :)

*Edit- Having said all that, as Petrol seems to be as expensive as Diesel these days, without LPG perhaps the devils fuel may be the only option. *shudder*

V8 sounds the business, but

If you're planning to do any wading in it (there's quite a bit of river crossing in Africa) then you'll want a diesel.

Both fuel types are readily available in Africa but generally diesel is considered the overland default.

If you want to avoid electrics then don't go for Petrol (early carb version won't be that fast - 113 bhp and 185 lb ft vs 107 bhp and 195 lb ft for the 200 tdi) but go for a 200 tdi or early 300 tdi. You'll also not have to waterproof the distributor.

Both will be fun, though, to be honest.

JST - It's already been said the cost of fuel is not a major factor here, and frankly there's not a massive cost of running difference once you factor in the far lower MTBF of the TDi engines (cambelts, head gaskets etc.). A good V8 will not be working hard in a Defender.

True a V8 does have electrics, but unless YOU do them badly then they're very reliable. As for waterproofing, EDIS is well proven to make the V8 as waterproof as a TDi.

As the original question was "do you get more power for you money with diesel or V8", the answer is fairly simple:

3.9 V8 = ~180bhp for £250 ish.

2/300TDi = 111bhp for ~£500 ish.

(I'm going for rough prices for a known good engine or donor vehicle)

I'm ignoring tuning options as if you can spend money tuning one you can do the same to the other.

Although I admit to being a fan of diesel...

A V8 is fine in Africa. Just have a BIG fuel tank (Or several Jerry Cans) if going away from civilization and plan where you will be crossing rivers.

I bumbled around Morocco for two weeks doing 2,500 miles and never had to cross a river with any water in it.

Most of it is a Desert, so you don't get surprised by deep water all over the place. :)

It needs to be your choice, but from what has been stated I would look for a later 110 converted to a V8. It should be cheaper too than a 300TDi due to the running costs. Being later it will probably be in better condidtion. Not that age always means better condition in a Defender however.

Just get a cheap shell, get a new chassis fabbed up to take a LS1 crate engine and you'll have lots of fun. :) The Rover V8 is really not a very good engine in a heavy vehicle, fine in the MGB or TVR but the stress of a heavy load and it complains frequently and expensively. :(

Although an LS would be very good value, the RV8 can be done for a tenth of the money. Frankly I don't think the Rover V8 could be described as "stressed" in a Defender, and I've not noticed frequent or expensive failures in any of the V8 trucks out there. In fact, the RV8 is regarded as pretty solid, tolerant, and reliable - and parts are cheap too.

Ok perhaps a bit too harsh. The ones in disco sure do blow a lot of head an intake valley gaskets though and I may be a touch bitter being both a D2 owner and in Canada where getting a diesel is a whole lot of hassle.

Buy a late 2.5 TD in good non-rusty condition, it will be cheaper by far than any of the Tdi options. Then refurbish it with some nice tidy interior bits, some new wheels and tyres and a nice Range Rover 3.9 / auto combination - mmm luverly

I second this as a great option.