ARB Compressors.....What can they run?

jcwcooper

How many things are ARB compressors upto running? Im planning on getting one ARB at some point and then a second in the future and would also like to run Air free spool too and pump the tyres up occasionly after airing down.

My main question is, are the ARB compressors upto running 2 air lockers and freespool on their own or would i be better off looking at a small say 5LTR air reciver in the back? I imagine this would be better for pumping the tyres up any how?

How water resistant are the compressors to they need to be in a sealed compartment or mounted High up out of the way?

and finally

How reliable is air freespool?

Thanks

Dave.

I have 2x 24 ARBs (ie front + Rewar plus I have T'd into the lines to additionally

Opeate Both front and rear Freespool systems which I made, can have all 4 on and no issues. :)

However, blowing up 4 x 35 simexy type tyres makes for a long, no, make that a VERY Long wait, and a red hot compressor,

which prob would mean short life - so I try no to :(

I alsio have the older ARB Compressor, now some near 20 years old, so yep, reliable :lol:

HTH

Nige

Lockers or freespool etc. are only ever moving a very small volume of air into a piston or similar. Consequently, the ARB compressor is pretty small. If you want to pump tyres up, I'd vote for either a T-Max twin compressor or just going to an engine-driven on board air system.

2x ARBs and an air spool on the rear winch and my small ARB has no issues. A reservoir would be better for anything that involves prolonged use. Even blowing up an airbed gets tiresome with an ARB...

We also have experience with the T-Max twin compressor and I am seriously considering buying another to hard-wire into the Discovery. Brings 35" Simex up from 8-30 PSI in no time at all... Paired with a reservoir, i think it would make a brilliant little system.

We also have experience with the T-Max twin compressor and I am seriously considering buying another to hard-wire into the Discovery. Brings 35" Simex up from 8-30 PSI in no time at all... Paired with a reservoir, i think it would make a brilliant little system.

This is what I'll be running. Absolutely nothing wrong with the ARB compressor for actuatoring stuff but it'll struggle if you want to shift big volumes of air.

How many things are ARB compressors upto running? Im planning on getting one ARB at some point and then a second in the future and would also like to run Air free spool too and pump the tyres up occasionly after airing down.

My main question is, are the ARB compressors upto running 2 air lockers and freespool on their own or would i be better off looking at a small say 5LTR air reciver in the back? I imagine this would be better for pumping the tyres up any how?

How water resistant are the compressors to they need to be in a sealed compartment or mounted High up out of the way?

and finally

How reliable is air freespool?

Thanks

Dave.

I run 2 lockers and 2 air free spool winches without a problem (though something could be better done with the connections at the compressor instead of 2 Y pieces)

As the ARB compressor is only 25% duty cycle it's not good at producing air for a very long time (10 minutes on then 30 minutes off), for tyres I use a truck air which has a slightly lower cfm output but has a 100% duty cycle ( so continuous use is OK).

You would probably only manage pumping up 1 possible 2 large tyres before you need to give it a 30 minute rest.

As for how reliable are Air Free spool winches, I've had a few problems with mine but you need to know how to use them properly (and I was probably not using them properly).

Jim is usually good at getting them sorted and has some uprated components now which makes them better.

At least the housings are much stronger than a standard Warn bottom end and don't shatter like my brother's did.

as for the airspooling what do you all use ? is it all gigglepin parts?

Has it ever been tried to make up a system just to pull the original freespool lever in and out instead of buying the whole bottom housing.

Sorry if there is this has been tested but trying to find tech about this stuff is pretty hard.

as for the airspooling what do you all use ? is it all gigglepin parts?

Has it ever been tried to make up a system just to pull the original freespool lever in and out instead of buying the whole bottom housing.

Sorry if there is this has been tested but trying to find tech about this stuff is pretty hard.

On an 8274 there's no point in using air to operate the original free spool (even if you could) as with all those gears to drag against "free spool" is more of a vague hope than a reality. The advantage of the gigglepin and the Australian freespools is that they disconnect at the drum, completely removing drag. The Australian one has an adjuster to allow you to add drag to stop the drum spinning when you stop pulling the rope out.

As for the compressor, the latest ARB has a very good output and is far more capable than the old ones, however, I found the smaller reservoir meant that any leak in the lines would leave the compressor "pulsing" as a small loss of air reduces the pressure below the switch on point and the compressor charges it so quickly that it only runs for a second or two. I fitted an additional air receiver under the floor that sorted out both the pulsing and also makes blowing up four Simex more efficient.

As the ARB compressor is only 25% duty cycle it's not good at producing air for a very long time (10 minutes on then 30 minutes off), for tyres I use a truck air which has a slightly lower cfm output but has a 100% duty cycle ( so continuous use is OK).

You would probably only manage pumping up 1 possible 2 large tyres before you need to give it a 30 minute rest.

Interesting I have an ARB compressor and have no problem inflating 255/85R16s.

The duty cycle of current ARB compressors are 35 or 50%, look HERE

Used to use a Truck air and was not impressed with it. It is somewhere in the back of the lock up.

Regards

Brendan

2x ARBs and an air spool on the rear winch and my small ARB has no issues. A reservoir would be better for anything that involves prolonged use. Even blowing up an airbed gets tiresome with an ARB...

I have just been doing some searching into the T-max twin compressor and they seem to be getting really good reveiws, Im sure i did see a thread on here about adapting one to run ARB's? Ive googled it but cant find the one im thinking of.

I was looking at the high output ARB compressor http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_32.html although looking at the price of the T-max one is only £80.

Dave.

My new Buggy will have 2 ARBs , & 4 free spool devices :)

The ARB pump will run it but i will run a 2.5Gallon air tank with a manifold to take all the fittings etc. The problem i had in the past was all the weight hanging off the pump with all the extra free spools etc.

Also with the tank we have fitted a connector so if the ARB pump fails {as it did in Croatia this year & Tay 2 years ago}we can plug the Quick Air 3 on it & charge the system.

I have a T-Max & fot VFM its great but will cut out after filling one 44 in the summer .The Quick Air will run all day & night ,fill a 44 from 4-154 in about 2 mins :D But you get what you pay for !

I have the newer high output ARB compressor fitted and it filled a 33inch tyre with no worries whatsoever and in a reasonable time... however i think for such things an external tank will help a lot.. Mine has a 50% duty cycle and should run constantly for around 30 mins before cutting out... at around 60lts / min i think it does the job.

I have easily inflated airbeds and other stuff directly from the compressor and it does the job...

the smaller compressors are only really good for running arb's.

whatever system you use if you want fast work you need a reserve of air i think...

My new Buggy will have 2 ARBs , & 4 free spool devices :)

The ARB pump will run it but i will run a 2.5Gallon air tank with a manifold to take all the fittings etc. The problem i had in the past was all the weight hanging off the pump with all the extra free spools etc.

Also with the tank we have fitted a connector so if the ARB pump fails {as it did in Croatia this year & Tay 2 years ago}we can plug the Quick Air 3 on it & charge the system.

I have a T-Max & fot VFM its great but will cut out after filling one 44 in the summer .The Quick Air will run all day & night ,fill a 44 from 4-154 in about 2 mins :D But you get what you pay for !

How much is this thing going to weight?!?!?!?!?!?!? So, that's a front, rear, centre and mechanical winch then? You're going to need every single one of those 450 bhp :P

How much is this thing going to weight?!?!?!?!?!?!? So, that's a front, rear, centre and mechanical winch then? You're going to need every single one of those 450 bhp :P

2100Kg :D

70% stronger axles :D

150HP more :D

700 kg lighter :D

450 HP winch

Dont forget about the centre consol fridge Will ;)

Will you are forgetting i need to compensate for my **** driving just to keep up with Jim the driving God ! Let alone Jez :rolleyes: