a thing stuck in my tyre

western

After a days rally recovery duty at a :ph34r: Army training area near Chepstow on Sunday,

this morning I found this

IMG_0834.jpg:o

stuck in my left rear tyre, the top 10mm was protruding flush with the tread blocks [tyre is a BFG MT 255/85]

now it's new tyre time as the tyre casing is damaged beyond repair :angry:

Ralph

no chance of a major repair?

I had a Simex cut at least 70 mm right through

it was sent away and repaired cost £30

I'm sure the repairers are Cornwall based as the tyre was collected and returned a week later from the tyre depot in Exeter.

it pushed through & cut some of the steel cords in tread area plus I found a 2inch area of the inner sidewall rubber seperating from the casing.

I was hoping a repair was all it needed, shame as the tyre has lots of life left.

Wow, looks like a NATO 5.56 blank but it couldnt be as they always pick them ALL up after and exercise!

:D spot on with the type/size :D pick them up :lol: wish they would, loads of spent blanks & used smoke grenade canisters lying around, that site has no public access it's a old RAF weapons depot, the Army use it for training.

first time in 9 years [3 rallies per year] of picking up a puncture though :( & I drove home 230 odd miles with it in the tyre :o I'm glad it didn't go Bang, would have been interesting to say the least :blink:

Feel sorry then, for the guy here who bought 4 new 33x12.50R15 Grabber MT's from us a couple of months ago, blew two out on a standard sticking out of the ground in one incident, and since then General have stopped making the Grabber MT...

Ralph,

Think you'll just have to bite the bullet

Coat on before you say anthing :lol:

Nige

:o You first cos no way I'm gonna bite it :blink::wacko: I've asked if the motor club or training area would contribute to the cost of a replacement tyre ---- hopefully get a answer tomorrow :unsure:

do you need help finding the door :lol:

Luke are you still mates? looks like a fairly new tyre too.

Ralph,, will have a word with a Committe member of Forresters, see if he can bent a ear !!,as he is servicing for us on the Tour

Have seen load of stuff, lying around at that venue !! does not surprise me !!

Cheers Tim, I 'm making enquires from this end too.

I'm assuming you mean Tour of Cornwall rally ?

I should be at Boconnoc estate for the friday evening stages & Predannack for the Saturday.

Yep,,Tour of Cornwall,,, Predannack,, know it very well !!!

Do not know our start number yet, but for the first time,for a long while, I doubt whether it will be in the top 10 seeds :( !! as not in a big banger this time :o

but this Ex Sainz factory GPA5 KA Kit car, all of 100 odd bhp, only 250 odd down on the other beasts !!

imatge5.jpg

come say hi , if at the start or finish !!

Pair of Scissors :o I had a set of 7.50 Blackstar Guyanes at the time

Negotiating a bend, instant deflation on the rear nearside tyre. Pulled over * put the spare on, the blades had gone in right up to the finger holes & bent up.

Result : Inner tube totally shredded, wire cords ruined, one new tyre written off :angry:

Yep,,Tour of Cornwall,,, Predannack,, know it very well !!!

Do not know our start number yet, but for the first time,for a long while, I doubt whether it will be in the top 10 seeds :( !! as not in a big banger this time :o

but this Ex Sainz factory GPA5 KA Kit car, all of 100 odd bhp, only 250 odd down on the other beasts !!

imatge5.jpg

come say hi , if at the start or finish !!

Smart rally car, I'll be parked on the start area at Predannack, so will keep a look out & say hello.

Found this Pop Rivet sticking out of my tyre, about 2" up the side, no idea how it got there but it stayed there for about a year before I pulled it out and the tyre went flat instantly.

rivet.jpg

This is the most unfortunate thing that i've seen happen to a tyre, at seven sisters last year, a stone went through the side wall.

7s2.jpg

Worst thing I have seen happen was one that came in to be "fixed" at work

The only thing left on the rim was the two bead wires and the rubber around them ... the rest had "Gone" :D

Try bluddy shifting those as well - on a tubeless rim with the double hump - they are a bugger to get off and on a soft alloy rim you can't even attack it with a cold chisel! I think some *very* careful work with the grinder was eventually used - tyre machine wouldn't touch it.

Yup, Ralph, We're still mates, :D he drove out on an 80 mile round trip to pick me and the 90 up after a rear wheel bearing collapsed at 2345 sunday night, but that's another story.

The tyre stayed at full pressure with the metal left in, but went down pretty quicky as expected when it was removed, and yes the tyre was only a couple of hundred miles old :angry::angry: at least the Wildcat's are slightly cheaper than BFGs, still a shame to have to write off a new tyre.

Luke

Yup, Ralph, We're still mates, :D he drove out on an 80 mile round trip to pick me and the 90 up after a rear wheel bearing collapsed at 2345 sunday night, but that's another story.

The tyre stayed at full pressure with the metal left in, but went down pretty quicky as expected when it was removed, and yes the tyre was only a couple of hundred miles old :angry::angry: at least the Wildcat's are slightly cheaper than BFGs, still a shame to have to write off a new tyre.

Luke

a good mate for doing that.

new tyre fitted now :D