Alloys onto early 90?

hi, ive just bought a b reg 90 fitted with white 8 spokes painted in what seems to be a generous lashing of dulux emulsion, which let its looks down,

so id like to fit a set of alloys to it, i know that many lr alloys will not fit the rear drums, but will fitting spacers mean that any lr alloy could be fitted?

thanks, oli

They will fit the rear drums its the front that is usually the problem as the front hubs on older trucks are slightly bigger ,sometimes you can get away with just removing the washers and threadlocking the front hub bolts and giving the whole area a good clean

You considered a set of silver modulars? Nice shiny wheels and none of the faffing about with axles and hubs - just bolt straight on!

I don't think early defenders sit right with blingy alloys anyway... (mutter mutter...youth of today...grumble grumble...)

Someone might put me right on this, but i understood that a lot of alloys were unsuitable for drum braked vehicles because of the heat build up on the drum and it was the fact that they werent disc brakes that meant that alloys couldnt be fitted.

I always thought it was because of the size of the drum brakes, then wheel cannot sit against the hub properly.

not sure where that comes from , i'd heard it before fitting alloys too. anyway drums are fine, as said, its the hubs at the front which cause the problem, specifically the bolts on the hubs. i tried running without the spring washers, but still not enough clearance. in the end i had 5mm steel spacers made up, which solved the problem.

i've since changed to steels again.

Hi, when I bought my 1984 90 it had discovery alloys, thay fitted the rear without any trouble, but the front fouled the bolts for the drive flange, the previous owner ground the heads of the bolts at an angle (so now a socket or spanner will not fit) and also took his grinder to the front wheels to make them fit. I bought a set of silver modulars and thay look very good, quite a reasonable price to.

Regards,

Ronnie.

• 2 months later...

and you can swap the hubs over, if theyre 10 spline oli, (which they are arent they?) my fron axle is off a military 110 from malc, and the only difference is the shape of the end of the stub axles on the hubs.

il talk to you about it

mikey

There are several tyes of alloy that fit drum & disc-braked vehicles.

The Firestyle is one but on earlier models you can't fit the centre-cap without fitting spacers.

The ZU (as fitted to mine) will fit any axle and as it doesn't have a centre-cap it makes no difference.

If you wanted the OE look (with centre-caps) without the need to go gringing metal then you are loking at fitting a set of spacers (make sure they have the central spigot), then you can fit any wheel you like (watch the clearance past the arches).

Of course, inform your insurance company of any changes.

Hi all,

I would like to fit alloys to my 1988 90 aswell and wherever I asked if It could be done, No one could give me a clear enough answer. So that guide Western has posted has cleared a lot of things up!

I have seen a few 90's with 300TDI freestyle alloys fitted, Yet I have never seen any TD5 Defender "Boost" alloys fitted?. Can these be made to fit using the method in Westerns post above?.

Many thanks..