Ceiling console

17 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

That is cool.

I wouldn’t be able to flick those engines though without saying things like:

Or…

If you don't say those things I feel like you've wasted your purchase 😁 

There are also other great options:

61U3jWV-vBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.1b77ec2d17c2448313f0d9d95a18ca21.jpg

I'm not saying this exact one, but switches of this type.

This one might be a step too far but I could see it work well as a cruise control switch 😅

image0.jpeg.7d2f9b2cfb6818ff35623245487ee64a.jpeg.20515348452abe22c259c782813cdaea.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PolarBlair said:

If you don't say those things I feel like you've wasted your purchase 😁 

There are also other great options:

I'm not saying this exact one, but switches of this type.

This one might be a step too far but I could see it work well as a cruise control switch 😅

image0.jpeg.7d2f9b2cfb6818ff35623245487ee64a.jpeg.20515348452abe22c259c782813cdaea.jpeg

That looks like a still from a DCS training session...

2 minutes ago, Junglie said:

That looks like a still from a DCS training session...

Just a pic I grabbed off google, I have too many hobbies as it is. But yes I think you're right. It's the F14 weapon selector. I'm sure you can buy the real deal for silly money somewhere. I bet there are stl files for 3D printing too.

Straying off-topic just a little again, as you mentioned Apollo13, there are two podcast series on BBC Sounds called 13 Minutes to the Moon. Series 1 charts the 13 minutes that the Lunar Module took to descend to the surface during the Apollo 11 mission. That's quite a good series but Series 2 is all about the disaster that was the Apollo 13 mission. It is based on the recordings of the communications from Mission Control to the spacecraft, plus other unofficial tapes and is an amazing series. It takes time to listen to it but for an intense study of the reactions of the crew and ground during the first critical minutes and then for the remaining days of the return it is unbeatable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct0pc5

• Like 3

Thanks for the recommendation 🙂

Have you seen the old video ‘for all mankind’ with the sound track by Brian and Roger Eno ?   

Not the recent Tv series - the documentary by Al Reinhert.

it’s outstanding.

For All Mankind (Masters of Cinema) [Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD] [1989] https://amzn.eu/d/29CmpvJ

• Thanks 1

Podcast was excellent 👍

I'm just mocking up some ideas and might make a new thread so I don't completely hijack this one.

As nice as the guarded switches are, I'm very tempted by the ease of installation for something like this:

https://auxbeam.com/products/qp009118

auxbeam2.jpg.7213650e8d73e8e03b62365f0c42bd12.jpgauxbeam1.thumb.jpg.09906919d37f55f06cd2809deac0fc35.jpg

I know there wont be a satisfying clunk but once the housing is removed and the control unit is fixed behind a panel that matched the rest of the console it could look quite smart. I cant get away from the major selling point - a single control wire to the relay box.

I get the feeling I'm going to be prototyping this in cardboard and seeing how I like the fit and viewing angles but I've had a rought stab at layout.

66388165_consolesideview.jpg.da826db5dd980eb7eed4707f015ee6f1.jpg

405788847_roofconsole.jpg.21ad853125dbeefddb1daae0ac3071e1.jpg

I think some of those gauges might be axed but thought I would just throw everything up there for now.

I really like the look of the mini oled 1.5" displays. Theres a guy making some very neat customizable gauges.:

They are just monochrome but he has other colour versions too. To save money I could stick with the monochrome display and just use a colour film to tint them all orange for example to match the auxbeam switch panel.

Realistically the climate control panel will remain blank until I get my workshop built and can start looking at installing an AC unit under the 2nd row seats.

The second blank panel is for when I win the lottery and install air suspension 😜 Or something in the future at any rate.

Has anyone used a product like the auxbeam before? I've seen many identical looking products online from varioius sellers. Its not cheap but I'm just imagining all the hassle it would save. Downside I suppose is that if it dies, I lose control over all the lights.

• Like 1

Forgot to add - for anyone who fancied parking sensor on their truck some kind hearted chap has made it very doable.

He has a full length detailed step by step video too but here's the overview one:

Can even be adapted to work with genuine waterproof automotive sensors.

Wifey doesn't like reversing the Tiguan let alone the 130. I've even invested in a rear view mirror reversing camera to make life a bit easier after discovering how carp the Optimill licence plate camera is. The optimill cam will likely just be adjusted to act as a tow ball cam for easy hitching.

• Like 1

@PolarBlair

I was looking at those auxbeam switch panels recently, 

Terrafirma do there own branded version but my observation is that they still have fuses in the main control box, although you could put circuit breaker fuses in place of the single blow fuse I suppose

Ideally something like the switch pros would be my choice as its all solid state with no fuses, 

https://store.switchpros.com/rcr-force-12/

5 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

@PolarBlair

I was looking at those auxbeam switch panels recently, 

Terrafirma do there own branded version but my observation is that they still have fuses in the main control box, although you could put circuit breaker fuses in place of the single blow fuse I suppose

Ideally something like the switch pros would be my choice as its all solid state with no fuses, 

https://store.switchpros.com/rcr-force-12/

Very nice but good lord the price! I found a UK reseller listing it at £1,100 and an ebay link for £860. The additional fuses don't bother me but it still comes down to a single point of failure if the control panel goes bad. Thats what I was getting at with these all in one solutions vs individually wired switches.

I think my budget would definitely top out with the auxbeam units unless threre are horror stories out there of them failing.

There is a middle ground with a trigger controller:

https://triggercontroller.com/trigger-controller-6-shooter/

But I'm not convinced I need the switch panel completely wireless and its prettly fugly.

I had a first stab at rough layout and I think having the radio mounted in the first position above the rear view mirror takes up a lot of space. You can get smaller CB radios that will fit in the space as I've shown it but any of the more premium units tend to be around 200mm deep and wouldn't fit. You can see how deep the space for the radio is on the terrafirma console:

610576954_terrafirmaroofconsole.jpg.c9392550a548fbd0eb747cc26bd5b7fe.jpg

The Lincoln II+ I used as an example is realistically twice as deep as that space. 

The open space either side of the interior light would work well for map lights. I then have space for quite a substantial overhead cubby.

572260372_RofConsole1.thumb.jpg.04ee4a80852f234c2022ee73d1cc8e93.jpg

Ideally I would like more angle on the small oled displays but I'll need to wait until my truck is back before I can get into some CAD (cardboard aided design)

I'm almost tempted to relocate the radio into my centre console but I see the benefit of having it here for quick glances. Another option is side mounted which I have plenty of space for.

Defender_deep_10.jpg.ac21c1e19b7e5837fef4dc653ffc7997.jpg

Those of you running radios - how important is seeing the display while driving? I'm assuming it would already be set up requiring little to no interaction. The mic you use by feel and I would imagine any real fiddling would have you pulling over anyway?

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

When there's so many wires (cables?) going up to the roof, what route do / will you use? I have added several cores for my central locking and now I have a conduit going up the A post.

My secondary fuse box which runs off my leisure battery sits behind the second row seats. For me it will make more sense to take conduit up the C post.

Plan is to extend the console above the 2nd row seats (low profile for headroom) so I can run the ducts for the AC from the 2nd row seat box. The cargo shelf I already have there also gives me a solid mounting point.

I still need to decide on best location for the CB antenna. Middle of the roof is not really an option if I want to make good use of the roof rack. Realistically it will likely end up being bumper or Fender mounted.

Next to the rear door is not an option if I want to run a roof tent that overhangs with a rear awning/ vestibule.

Ignore the angled look. Bit too modern and I would round the edges instead but its easier to modify. I'm just experimenting to see if bringing the radio forward could work. I thought I could recess it and integrate grab handles.

Shape is still very rough but I think I'm happier with the layout/order of the panels. I'll try this out in cardboard and if it doesn't work, relocate the radio to my centre console where there is already a DIN cutout and bags of room.

1649825379_V2Console1.thumb.jpg.4bc06124c31bf699823aa7f5c4f97b94.jpg

1044736821_V2Console2.thumb.jpg.a6659014e2865ea3b08192b57536d9cd.jpg

2108496665_V2Console3.thumb.jpg.39a75f49d58676cb55cb0bfa7b8bf232.jpg

2081375532_V2Console4.thumb.jpg.d6a172fe2a98e57a48733905938539eb.jpg

Again - ignore the style.