Raptor Console

I'm liking that! i keep putting off getting one due to being too busy to fit it! i like the idea of moving the hazard switch too, i keep knocking mine on when i get in and out!

how did you move it? was it just a case of pulling it through or did the wires need extending?

When I moved the hazard switch I just extended the wires, easy to do, just take your time and mark them.

I must say I am well impressed with the console, a very sturdy bit of kit.

I spoke to the chap from raptor, a realy friendly and helpful chap, 10/10!!

Fitted my Raptor console and also Phil's steel instrument panel housing last weekend. The quality is absolutely top notch, more so considering the very fair price (the instrument housing is the same price as the plastic OEM part). My installation skills don't do Phil's work justice. I expect these units will outlast my Landy!

Dash5.JPG

As a side question how do you boys run the power to all this? Do you run a single heavy feed straight from the battery and then an additional fuse box to go to each item or what?

I am defiantly going to buy a Raptor dash as I think they look great and a lot stronger than the plastic alternatives.

As for crimping – I work in the offshore industry and the ratchet crimpers are the only ones that are allowed out here as they give a better crimp with more points of contact and if used correctly should not be able to over crimp.

Frax

;)

Frax,

I can't speak for others but for the stuff on mine that came from the existing loom I just extended in the wires or used them as is (rear wipe/stock 12v etc.) everything else comes from feeds from a second baby fuse box mounted up on the seat bulkhead (or will when I get off my arse and finish adding extra stuff to it ;)).

That said, I expect most people will have just hacked off the main internal fuse box below and run up some wires and used the odd spare slots (or vampired existing feeds ;)) unless they really wanted a 2nd fuse box.

Mind you, your idea of just running a feed from the battery bay and popping a small fusebox with some micro-fuses behind the Raptor console sounds great to me. It's easy enough to take a few screw out to get at the insides of the console if you need to change the fuses or tweak things.

Frax,

I can't speak for others but for the stuff on mine that came from the existing loom I just extended in the wires or used them as is (rear wipe/stock 12v etc.) everything else comes from feeds from a second baby fuse box mounted up on the seat bulkhead (or will when I get off my arse and finish adding extra stuff to it ;)).

That said, I expect most people will have just hacked off the main internal fuse box below and run up some wires and used the odd spare slots (or vampired existing feeds ;)) unless they really wanted a 2nd fuse box.

Mind you, your idea of just running a feed from the battery bay and popping a small fusebox with some micro-fuses behind the Raptor console sounds great to me. It's easy enough to take a few screw out to get at the insides of the console if you need to change the fuses or tweak things.

I ran the existing wires to the console, But, whilst I had the dash out I checked all the old wires and removed all the old bodge's from previous owners!

I also put in line fuses on all my lives.

Quick update on my crimping style.

I am not a trained mechanic, 90% of what I know has been taught to me by my dad, who is a retired mechanic, when he did his apprenticeship he had to take apart starters/engines/dynamo's and fix them, no recon units in them days. He is very old fashioned, and when I told him I was fitting a cd player in my 110 his response was "what do you want one of them new fangled things for, in my day we had 8 tracks!!".

Anyway, i'm not bad at mechanic's and electrics, as long as I take my time, I do have a natural talent for painting/bodywork, and have painted all mates landies for them.

Back on track-crimping terminals;

I have been useing a rachet type crimper, with good results, however, after seeing the excellent wireing posted on this thread I went into my shed and dug out my old manual crimping pliers. Wow!, ive managed to do good strong crimps that look very neat. I'm well pleased :)

were not talking about the centre console but the support surround the main instrument pack attaches to. this binnacle mount

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. The pics on this page are both of the centre console so presumed that's what's being discussed. Still maintain it's an ugly bit of kit, but it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. The pics on this page are both of the centre console so presumed that's what's being discussed. Still maintain it's an ugly bit of kit, but it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

you haven't got the wrong end of the stick/thread, it was asked up the page if the binnacle part was common for all except the Puma Defenders.