Small Blacksmithing Question on Mild Steel Bar

RichardAllen

I want to make some low strength ratchet strap fixing points. For each fixing point, the plan is to form a tab each end of a short (50mm) length of round mild steel bar by simple hammering. The tabs will then be punched, drilled and rivetted into place.

I could do the hammering hot or cold, but getting my heating kit out of storage will be a pain.

My question is whether it is very much easier to hammer form mild steel when heated bright red, or whether cold forming is easy enough ? (I do have a chunky bit of 50mm steel to use as an anvil.)

Regards

Richard

Excuse my innocence, i'm a bit green about this kind of thing. Can you explain the method for doing this without a hammer, I don't have one but would love to be able to do this type of job.

Chuck Norris would just stare at it and it would flatten itself through fear :D

I was thinking that. Unfortunately I can only use 20mm wide ratchet straps (they are for holding closed a fold-down gas cooker on the rear door) so the fixing points should not be that much wider. I am hoping a pair of molegrips, propane torch and ball/pein hammer should do the job. I'll keep you all posted.

Regards

Richard

By the sounds of it you would be better off buying the fittings you need - form the sound of it you want something very similar to what holds the canvas straps at the back of a defender or series truck, and are reasonably easy to get for small amounts of cash. You would probably spend more on petrol going to the storage place to get the warming kit out??

generally I prefer to make rather than buy, but this really doesn't seem worth the effort...

Mark

What about an upturned coat hook, like a half version of one of these: <a href='http://www.mascotmetal.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/60880-s.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.mascotmet...all/60880-s.jpg</a><br /><br />They are cheap, easy to find, and will probably do the job...<br /><br />

*EDIT* Oh look: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-NEW-HEAVY-ALUMINIUM-COAT-HOOKS-50mm-2-00-FREEPOST_W0QQitemZ310166399285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Door_Accessories_LE?hash=item48375ba935

Excuse my innocence, i'm a bit green about this kind of thing. Can you explain the method for doing this without a hammer, I don't have one but would love to be able to do this type of job.

Take a length of bar longer than you need, heat it where you want to bend it, secure one end in a vice and lean on t'other end 'till it's bent far enough, chop excess off.

If you want it a nice tidy radius, just bend it round something the right diameter that's also held in the vice.

Nice 'n' easy

Take a length of bar longer than you need, heat it where you want to bend it, secure one end in a vice and lean on t'other end 'till it's bent far enough, chop excess off.

If you want it a nice tidy radius, just bend it round something the right diameter that's also held in the vice.

Nice 'n' easy

Thanks, i'll give that one a go next time. ;)

Hi, you don't need heat for this (though its easier, its more hassle). You didn't specify what material, but what you need to do is make yourself a bending fork to use as a pivot/lever on the material. For example, here are some hooks I made in 10-ish mm stainless (harder to bend) - REALLY easy with a bending fork, done cold:

post-139-125743221806_thumb.jpg

If you do a drawing of what you want, I might be able to whistle some up for you?

Al.

<br />These are what I have on my Series2a, and I got them from a guy at billing (who mentioned that they are boat fittings) but it might be worth talking to the exmoor trim or the like who supply hoods?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Mark,

Those are just what I have in mind for 10mm straps, so I just need some a bit smaller

Regards

Richard