Fedima Trialade Tyres.. Road Legal?

SolihullBeast

I have been running fedima trialade tyres (a copy of the super boggers) on my disco off road for three years now with no issues, however when I decided to put it back on the road the tyres were an MOT failure as they were not E-marked, and as such were not legal for road use, has the MOT inspector made an error? has anyone else had a similar experience? Several people have told me that trialade should be road legal.. so, is the E-marking in a specific place on the tyre? could he have missed it?

In addition to this how far is a wheel allowed to extend from the bodywork? as I am considering wheel spacers

Many Thanks

Sam

Hi, Im not too sure about E making but think its to do with european safety regs,when i went for IVA everything had to be E marked so i ended up taking off the A bar, towbar because they weren't stamped.

The wheels/tyres cannot extend passed the bodywork in the wheelarch, just fit some wheel arch extensions if you want to fit spacers.

Hope this helps

Max

From MOT inspection manual:

Tyres with NHS, Not for Highway

Use or similar markings should

only be deemed acceptable if they

display an ā€˜Eā€™ marking and a

number contained within a circle.

Adjacent to this circle, the sidewall

must also be marked 75R

followed by a number

As an aside, it's VERY difficult to fail a vehicle for an incorrect reason for rejection, now that the MOT Computerisation is fully up and running the tester can only fail on items they can find on the computer.

I have been running fedima trialade tyres (a copy of the super boggers) on my disco off road for three years now with no issues, however when I decided to put it back on the road the tyres were an MOT failure as they were not E-marked, and as such were not legal for road use, has the MOT inspector made an error? has anyone else had a similar experience? Several people have told me that trialade should be road legal.. so, is the E-marking in a specific place on the tyre? could he have missed it?

In addition to this how far is a wheel allowed to extend from the bodywork? as I am considering wheel spacers

Many Thanks

Sam

Its probably a bit contentious .......... the bit that Bowie has posted is in the RECUT tyres section of the manual ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. nowhere else does it mention ā€˜eā€™ marking. Are your tyres recut or remanufactured ? ........ subtle difference ;)

However, failure to have E marked items does constitute an offence under the European Automotive Directive (I will look up the number later)

see here ........... http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

As a matter of interest are thay DOT marked ? ......... if yes, then they are legal on UK and european roads.

I would add to Ian and Bowie's notes that a tyre is speed rated. If you fit said tyre to a vehicle that can go in excess of that speed rating (even if that is over the legal limit) then you have disregarded construction and use regs. Therefore in the case of an accident you will become a target for a very large book

There was a big discussion on here previously about that, and the conclusion seemed to be that there was nothing in the C&U regs that said anything like that.

It simply states "They must be suitable for the purpose to which they are being put" or something to that effect.

It might have insurance implications though.

If you fit a tyre rated for 58mph on a vehicle that will do 88mph you have done something the vehicle and the tyre were not meant to do by design. Look for the simple bits in C&U. The Police won't do anything until you have caused DBDD or DBM. However VOSA will. If you doubt it try pulling into a VOSA test station on a busy day and asking them. In fact anything that detracts from homologation of a vehicle or it's Type Approval is of interest to VOSA, especially if it can radically effect the vehicles approved design

This bit is confusing:

Tyres with NHS, Not for Highway

Use or similar markings should

only be deemed acceptable if they

display an ā€˜Eā€™ marking and a

number contained within a circle.

Adjacent to this circle, the sidewall

must also be marked 75R

followed by a number

Surely if it is marked "Not for Highway Use" then E number or not it is illegal on the road, in the same way that a Motorcycle silencer that has the same marking is illegal?

Marc (confused) :unsure:

"Not for Highway Use" is an American marking while the E/e markings are European. So, in theory, there can be a "Not for Highway Use" marked tyre, illegal to use on American highways, but with an E/e marking, legal on European roads.

Sam (SolihullBeast), next to the reason of rejection on the paper they gave you there are some figures separated by dots, something like 4.1.3.1a or similar. Which exactly are they on your paper?

Look for the E marking aprox in the F area you see here: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Go on then, quote the reg that says those words.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. ........... Regulation 25

It goes along the lines of the tyre must have a speed rating and if the vehicle was to operate at a higher speed than the sidewall rating then the tyre is deemed 'unsuitable' ......... in the event of an RTC that would be an offrence.

here is the Reg 25 1991 ammendment ........ http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1991/Uksi_19912710_en_1.htm

Also Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994 is worth a look with regard to E marking

BBC: Thats just an amendment, so its hard to get a clear picture of what is going on.

Unfortunately the original Act isnt online because OPSI only has stuff dating back to 1987 and the C&U regs are 1986.

If anyone has a copy of the original act and can post the respective sections then i'd like to see it.

Surely an amendment to the C&U regs is enough, isn't it?

:D Well it may be if you have read the regs ............... but I do have a copy of the ruegs but I wont be home any time soon :(

The biggest problem with a lot of the C&U regs is that they are open to interpretation ....... even a couple of lawyers will give you different anwsers to the same reg ..................but I see Reg25 the same way as the fat balding hobbit :P

So where would I technically stand with my SVA'd Ibex that does not have a published top speed, which are all kit built with differing engine/gearbox combos.

I do not actually have a clue what the top speed would be!

Mark.

I solved that by filling in the form, where you have to claim the topspeed of your vehicle. I claimed 70 MPH, which would allow you to run most tyres, and not miles beside the truth, or faster than I normally drive the thing anyway.

Daan