Rear Corner Protection

Phil

I'm making a list for Santa and am thinking of including pair of the wraparound style bumperettes advertised here http://www.mailorder4x4.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Bumperettes_66.html . I've caught both rear corners of my 110 when off-road and these might provide some protection, however, I wonder whether catching them with any force will twist the crossmember.

Has anyone experience from having these fitted?

Thanks,

Phil.

It's the BA290G type I was considering, so thanks for the feedback. I'm not worried about fitting them just curious as to how effective they are. I'm not generally in favour of bolting things on to the vehicle, however, I've lightly damaged both rear corners by having the back end come down on rock whilst off-road. I wondered how well these bumperettes would protect the rear corners if I hit something.

Phil.

Thanks, Riley, it's the 'something bigger to catch' point that interests. The rear corners are clearly a contact point so fitting some protection is an option. However, bolting stuff on doesn't always help so I'm keen to learn from the experience of others.

I take it you're not a fan of these bumperettes then? :D

Cheers,

Phil.

I have them on mine, work well....however when I reversed into a wall it bent the bracket and slightly bent the crossmember. Stopped me smashing my lights though, so it did the job ok.

They are mud traps, but are easy enough to wash out with the hose/jet-wash/elephant.

I'd rather smash a couple of light's then bend the crossmember

Phil, the type of rear corner protection you are looking at work very well and are quite effective at preventing rear corner damage. :i-m_so_happy:

Holyzeus, I think that if you hit something hard enough to have bent the crossmember, then without the protection you are going to do a bit more damage than break a break a couple of lights :)

Mo

I have the BA 290 heavy duty ones. Work a treat. Easy to bolt on with a bit of fiddling around. I brought them to protect from reversing backing into trees etc plus to protect the rear bodywork corners which are rather exposed. I first ordered (and returned) some of the tubular wrap around type but I really questioned how much protection they offered.

Hope it helps,

Nick

Thanks, Nick, I thought they looked likely to be more effective than the tubular type. Do they come with bolts, if not do you happen to know what's needed? I hate getting presents I can't play with straight away :D

Cheers,

Phil.

:rolleyes: look nice really like them ,wud ? have some but they serve no purpose :ph34r: the impact would damage other parts before them and it is only still a bit of box section on the plus side if you like em like i do, m8 bolts &nuts is all you need :)

Improving your Defender's rear corner protection is definately worthwhile. I would even go as far as to say "it's a must".

The standard, factory fit, 'Grab Handles' are useless and provide absolutely no protection.

When I bought my 110, the first thing I fitted was Military Bumperettes - RRC2970/RRC2971 on your link (although mine are the earlier Galvanised type) -

th_IMG_1001.jpg . th_IMG_1002.jpg

th_IMG_1003.jpg . th_IMG_1004.jpg

th_IMG_1005.jpg . th_IMG_1006.jpg

th_IMG_1007.jpg . th_IMG_1008.jpg

They've saved the rear of my 110 from women unsure.gif careless drivers at roundabouts and junctions on several occasions and have never transmitted any damage to the rear crossmember.

Also very useful to deter or punish the 'bump parking' aficionados laugh.gif

I have a pair of corner protectors which are nearly identical to the BA290Gs. I had an accident last February and caught another car on the front edge of one of the protectors. It tore the wing off the other car (write off) and snapped the cross member of my new Marsland chassis - the top and bottom surfaces snappped cleanly where they were welded to the main rail, and the section folded through 90 degrees to point directly aft. It destroyed the body cross member (the aluminium one that forms the door sill and runs behine the quarter panels), the quarter panel and the wing below the fuel filler. Without it, the damage would have been a dented wing.

That much said, I was quite unllucky in the way the accident occurred and think they would normally provide more protection than harm. If you thump something hard enough with these that they damage the cross member, the incident would damage the cross member if there was no corner protector.

The military style bumperettes are probably the best as they will deform to reduce chassis loads.

post-4758-125822758938_thumb.jpg

post-4758-125822760575_thumb.jpg

Interesting. How far out from the body does it protrude sideways?

Mine are practically flush with the rear wing panels:

IMG_0036.JPG

Edit: Although, looking at it that may be because of the incident with me bending it. You can see the bend in the picture. Still, I'm pretty sure it sticks out less than yours in the pictures.

Och, Snagger, that made a bit of a mess; although perhaps not more, just different, than might have been the case without the corner protector. I'm looking for protection against impacts where the back end catches when crossing ditches or starting particularly steep slopes. I haven't hit anything really hard yet, but I have clipped and damaged both rear corners.

I'll try a set of these and see what happens.

Cheers,

Phil.