Recommend me some tyres please

StevenT

I hope this hasnt already been done to death elsewhere on the forum.

I am looking to fit a set of tyres to a spare set of rims for winter use. I suppose I am looking for a good all round tyre

that can cope with mud / snow but is also reasonable on the tarmac.

I am not going to be using it in extreme off road conditions (or not yet anyway :) )

I have a Disco2 with 18" rims and 255/55 road tyres fitted and am looking to buy a set of 16" rims and fit 255/65's so any recommendations

are welcome. I had looked at putting Michelin Alpins on the front and Wrangler 's on the back but I dont really have any knowledge of tyres

so all help / advice appreciated.

Thanks

I will agree that the same type and manufacture of tyre is fitted all round.

I can't give an opinion on tyres as I have not tried and tested any different makes, I still use Goodyear Eagle GT4 the tyre that my disco was supplied with. :)

general grabber AT2's

ive heard theyre slightly better than the BFG versions.

ive never compared but i have driven the BFG AT's round the farm on a damp morning, it went nowhere lol. same make and model vehicle with insa turbo amazons went everywhere.

but theyre a bit too extreme and have no idea how good they are on road!

I am looking to fit a set of tyres to a spare set of rims for winter use. I suppose I am looking for a good all round tyre

that can cope with mud / snow but is also reasonable on the tarmac.

I am not going to be using it in extreme off road conditions (or not yet anyway :) )

Thanks

As this is going to be a second/ spare set, and you need them for snow/ winter use

I would recommend (well I use them) Cooper Discoverer M+S.

banner-3091.jpg

Where abouts in the world are you?

Although the GG AT2 is rated as a snow tyre, many people have complained (over here)

that although they are good for the first season their effectiveness in snow degrades

over time. This is possibly due to the rubber compound not being soft enough, which

isn't an issue on road or off.

GG AT2 in the snow

I have found (I now use them as 'summer' tyres) that as in this film, they

are ok for straight lines, but they loose sideways grip, easily.

Which isn't a pleasent experience. :angry:

In the UK we have a winter tyres avaliable and I understand about the different compounds, but most of our snowy days at -10deg + are limited therefore we go for a universal tyre, be it a road bias tyre or an AT type of tyre that's why if we run with AT's of a certain manufacture and we find they are ok all year round then we recommend them.

I had 10 years with Michelin M&S, a standard fitment by Land Rover, so universal, which I did not have any problems with summer or winter.

Thanks for the info so far.

I am in the UK, so as we dont actually get that much snow, they need to be an all round, wet, mud and snow tyre with most of its use on tarmac

and not to wear out too quick.

I am currently looking at the Vredestein Wintrac 4 extreme, which seem to have good reviews http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Wintrac-4-Extreme.htm, does anyone have any experience of these?

Aaah yes I was forgetting about the mud when I was researching the vredesteins. AT2's it is then.

One more question on this issue, I see a set of 16" 8J wheels for sale, I dont really know what 8J are apart from a J shaped edge

on the rim or something like that, but are they suitable for AT2's?

Steve

8Jx16 is a rim 8in wide x 16in diameter. They may be a little wide for 235 section but would be ideal for say 255/70R16 or 255/65R16 on a Discovery 2. The original factory rims on top spec ES Discovery 2s were 8x16s with 255/65R16 Michelins on so it is an approved size. My D2 runs 255/70R16 BFG ATs on the standard size 7x16 rims but a 255 section will be fine on either and the vehicle does look better on the bigger tyres :)

what /\/\/\ said,

cooper discoverer ST or even ATR (atr is bit milder tread pattern for better road work, loads of sipes which is THE most important thing for snow and ice).

Both are cheap, NOT remoulds and last for flippin ages. Been using coopers on our disco2 for 2 years now and they are faultless and perform better - in my opinion - than the grabber AT2 rubber fitted to the fatehr outlaws D2 that i borrowed for a month recently.

I found the AT2 lost grip too easily on the tarmac and clogged up in thick mud way to quickly. Again - in my opinion - the cooper ST performs better on the road and off the road. Father outlaw also complains the AT2 are not good in snow and ice when driving to his house in the alps for the skiing season. I reckon thats cos they have very little siping.

Ive been researching all the suggestions amongst others. I do like the look of the Coopers, I thnk the M+S are probaly too single purpose for my needs. I do fancy trying the ST, but thats not available in an 18". I am looking at getting some 16" wheels for off-roading and will get GG AT2 or Cooper ST's on these.

In the interim though I think I am going to try Cooper Discovery AST's on the 18" wheels for general road and winter use.

Do people generally go for steel wheels over alloy for pure off-road?

Thanks for all the info / advice it has helped a lot.

DiscoATR_main_tire.jpg?1237562714

DiscoST_main_tire.jpg?1237567651