Parts washer fluid

L19MUD

Hello

I have bagged myself an ebay bargain brand new parts washer (solvent free only)

Any suggestions on what to use in it?

I have been getting contrasting suggestions! Some people say just use parrafin or diesel whilst others say only use proper chemical - help!

If chemical is the way to go what one should I use?

Tank capacity is abou 70 litres

Cheers!

I used the proper solvent free stuff from machine mart, after a month or so it had rotted the bottom of the parts washer.

After fixing up the parts washer - I have only used diesel since and it's been fine - I don't use the pump though just incase

I used the proper solvent free stuff from machine mart, after a month or so it had rotted the bottom of the parts washer.

After fixing up the parts washer - I have only used diesel since and it's been fine - I don't use the pump though just incase

I used that stuff too. I left the washer unused with the lid down for a couple of months and when I went back to it a hideous slimey green jelly monster had taken up residence. The pump was choked with the stuff. I replaced it with some proper parts washer fluid I bought off Ebay. It washes off with water to leave a grease free surface. Diesel and paraffin leave an oily residue which, while good for rust prevention, still has to be removed before painting.

Thanks for the advice everyone, :)

think I will probably go down the route of parrafin as most things I do dont need painting

Wash off the crud in the parts washer tank then give it a blast over with brake cleaner if you want a grease free finish for paint

At work we buy all our paint and oils from Witham Oil and Paint (WOPCO), we use their de-greaser in our parts washer and it is the best thing since sliced bread. Easily and quickly removes oil and grease then a quick run under the tap if you need it totally dry.

Find it in the "Ancillary Lubricants and Products" section of their web site.

Does anyone else suffer from headaches after using commercial degreasers ? I've tried several makes but paraffin and Safety clean are about the only ones that are OK.Shame that the parafin leaves the oily residue making an extra process necessary - ie the brake cleaner or similar.

• 2 years later...

To add to a really old thread I decided it was time to replace the fluid in the parts washer as it had more crude oil in it than parafin and the strainer had imploded trying to draw liquid. I gave the tank a good clean and searched around for something other than parafin and ended up with Rock Oil Soluble Oil Cleaner Detergent SIII. £29.50+vat for 25 litres (which sounded cheap until I got to the end of the phone call and they totalled the 200 litres I required :blink: ). The sales person also told me it was fine in a parafin washer (if you can believe a sales person... time will tell :ph34r: ). Really impressed with it, with the parafin I had to spray and scrub with a brass wire brush, just spraying with this seems to have the same effect on most things. It's even stripped old paint off some stuff I've put in and the floor in the parts washer doesn't look anywhere near as rusty as it used to. ^_^

To add to a really old thread I decided it was time to replace the fluid in the parts washer as it had more crude oil in it than parafin and the strainer had imploded trying to draw liquid. I gave the tank a good clean and searched around for something other than parafin and ended up with Rock Oil Soluble Oil Cleaner Detergent SIII. £29.50+vat for 25 litres (which sounded cheap until I got to the end of the phone call and they totalled the 200 litres I required :blink: ). The sales person also told me it was fine in a parafin washer (if you can believe a sales person... time will tell :ph34r: ). Really impressed with it, with the parafin I had to spray and scrub with a brass wire brush, just spraying with this seems to have the same effect on most things. It's even stripped old paint off some stuff I've put in and the floor in the parts washer doesn't look anywhere near as rusty as it used to. ^_^

Who did you get this through?

i have used a few parts washers in workshops i have worked in ranging from a bucket with red diesel to those heated automatic parts cleaners like a big dishwasher which are the best but cost ££££s and have found that red diesel works as well or better than most purpose made fluid avalible so now i work mobile from a van thats what i use a 25ltr drum of red diesel and a drum cut in half parts in the half drum bit of diesel in and away you go cheap easy and affective.