Buying a 90

My old 90 was an Ex hire vehicle and to be honest it was a bag of nails.

You can do a lot better than that for the money that you have. I would suggest that a TD5 90 SW would not be out of your budget.

Does your budget include the insurance, or is that the fund for the vehicle?

If your still looking in the new year I don't mind helping out in the local area.

Seruiosly, don't let your heart lead your head, I have done that too many times!

bulkhead needs further exam in usual places , wing repairs and bottom of doors as well . Sounds like too much on first looking . Imagine actually seeing it in daylight !! Like alot of people I bought one without really thinking about it BUT I work in a garage which had enough room to allow me to work on my defender. Without this I wouldn`t like to take one on that needed say the bulkhead repaired outside

Budget includes insurance as much of the insurance as i can. Parents have said i can borrow some money towards the insurance.

As For TD5, the insurance would be more, and for a first land rover I want to steer well clear of too many electronics!

that particular td5 has been on the 'bay for ages.

Wondering weather to go and have a look (60miles from here...:unsure:), take millions of pictures for you lot to have a look over?

Mine was Ex SHB and It has been fine

they did everything to it prior to purchase, new gearbox/clutch/exhaust/shocks/wiper arm mech/cv/brakes the lot

I have had not issues relating to them being the owner

just it is worth looking out for rough handling.

the one above is just 2 digits from mine but I notice the Ply lining has gone from the rear load space.

I would look at it gladly with the knowledge of its passed

it will have been serviced regularly and SHB will be able to confirm its mileage etc that it was sold with,

I was offered one before I got mine that left Exeter with 120k on the clock but when it arrived near Chard if lot 60k from the speedo :(

The above TD5 one is horrible!

Sorry but all the pages of descriptions and pics of potential vehicles and subsequent advice is no substitute for personally inspecting vehicles preferably accompanied by someone who really knows their stuff. The only way to find a good example is to get out there and look - and that includes looking and learning from the lemons too.

Yes it will cost you in both time, money and frustration but in the process you will learn a LOT.

there are good ones out there, a mate has just bought this truck cab thats super mint inside and out, every panel is straight etc and its a really nice shade of green with decent alloys, think he paid £4500 for it after the auction finished..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180447221893&ru=http://shop.ebay.co.uk:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D180447221893%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_554wt_1165

I have nothing to loose and everything to gain so I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. Take lots of pictures and have a good poke around it. I have a couple of good check lists to go over, and I have some theory in my head :P.

If anyone happens to feel like getting away from the mother-in-law coming... drop me a PM anytime between now and 8:00 tomorrow.

EDIT: if you live within a reasonable distance of here, or can drive to here, I'm more than happy to drive us both :)

I WOULD LOOK AT THE 90 IN MALVERN WITH YOU i only live 7 miles from there im no expert but ive learnt from buying a lemon on a new chassis. it looks tidy the white one does but mine looked okay in pictures i paid 2100 for a 19 year old vehicle i didnt shop around .. turned out the engine was **** so i learnet

post-18520-12621847423_thumb.jpg

The 90 in the link ws after a quick look for a white td5 90 - There aren't many on there.

Keep looking, there will be something suitabe.

As for my ex hire truck, the 200tdi lasted 99,000 miles before the 4th cylinder got scoured and rattleed so much in the bore the engine ran away with itself.

That had been serviced by the company, but they guys on site had been putting redn diesel into it as they weren't fussed about running it on the road after they handed it back.

Hi Everybody.

Firstly thanks to everyone who has helped so far :), and thank you to anyone who may help in the future.

Pictures are here: http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/landroversforever/White%2090/

Went and had a look at the white 90 today, going to write all my notes up from the checklist! not necessarily in any particular order.

-Been given a full service

-Service History lost by a previous owner

-MOT until 9/2010

-Tax until 28/02/2010

Forgot my hammer ( :angry: ) so couldn't test with that. just knocking with my knuckles.

-Chassis all good from front til...

-Rear cross member, has been plated on the outside with two big plates. inside doesn't look too bad

-tow bar looks solid

-'Boxes, engine, axles etc, seem leak free, oil on front diff, but i think thats from changing the oil filter on the service, as it originates from the top of the case!

-Swivels smooth and shiney

-Bulkhead: top corners solid, door pillars solid, footwells look solid from the engine bay, looks solid around the vents

-timing belt was apparently done before the previous owner, they only have word of mouth that it was done.

-Tensioner changed during the service by them

Break in lines for the comfort of your eyes :P

-Starting from cold, took a couple of goes, then started after a few seconds on the glow plugs. Was cold though!!

-no major leaks around the engine bay, bit of oil spilt ontop of the engine cover, presumably from the service

-Hoses seem to all be in good nick

-Oil level correct

-no mayo under the filler cap after it had been running/test drive

-coolant level correct

-Viscous fan, forgot to check when cold, was 'reluctant' to turn by hand when warm when warmed up

-glow plug light works correctly

-Idles smoothly

-Forgot to look for any smoke when driving, wasn't any when it was idleing

-Engine pulls well, can notice the turbo

-Heater works, blows nice warm air

-no crunching of gears (other than my 206-clutch-ing)

-Handbrake works

-Transfer box doesnt jump out of high

-low goes in easily, doesn't jump out (only went up to 3rd)

-Forgot to check difflock

-Wipers work on all functions, although park higher up the screen than i was expecting. Wash works

-Rear wash wipe works

-indicator doesn't self cancel

-All lights work: main, dip, driving spots, hazards, indicators, rear fog, reverse, brake,

-Front doors, slack in hinges, frames seem solid,very little oxidization on the outside skins

-Drivers door needs a new card (previous owner tried to put speakers in the doors..., and the window winder needs reattaching, its there just needs the clip

-windows go up and down easily, no sticking or roughness

-Rear door lower frame is shot. outside is bubbling alot

-seems to have had a new rear lock, different key, and lock is all shiney

-brakes in a straight line, stab with hands hovering over the wheel and doesn't pull to either side.

-Cant feel any play in the steering

-Front diff pan has taken a bit dent

-Battery box doesn't seem to have any corrosion other than a little surface and lots of dust.

-has drilled/grooved disks.

If you got this far... thanks!

a few pictures:

DSCF1300.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1272.jpg

DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1275.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

DSCF1252.jpg

Looks pretty nice. Mostly cosmetic things from what you've pointed out. My old rear door was like that too, as are both my front doors :)

I'd try and arrange to check the diff-lock too though, and usually when buying cars if the owner cannot prove work X has not been done then assume it hasn't :P

hi

looks a nice truck the only things i'll add are the steering box looksto be leaking and the front left swivel seal is also leaking a little.

From the other pictures it looks like there is a leak between the mainbox and transfer box, also i would want to check the front leftbulkhead outrigger it looks a bit corroded on the end.

Personally i would want to put a new rear crossmember on as it looks abit of a bodge at the moment in my opinion however it's probablystructurally sound so wouldn't have to be done immediately. The reardoor is probably feeling the strain of having the spare wheel mountedon it, a replacement would be easier but its possible to repair.

overall it looks a good truck but i would say it depends how far the seller is willing to move on the price, if you cost out the work you would want done and then keep that in mind when putting in an offer you shouldn't go far wrong.

good luck

matt

Looks tidy mate, bit too white for my taste though, looks like Richard Hammonds teeth!

I think whatever vehicle you go for you are going to find some minor faults at best, and that will start you on the learning curve of LR ownership. You will find that you will spend evenings and weekends crawling around under the thing looking at various leaks etc and ordering lots of goodies online.

Buy one and start enjoying it, you wont have the time or money left to go out anymore. :P

the only one that would slightly concern me is the one between the gearboxes, its hard to tell how bad the leak is from pictures but to fix would involve splitting the boxes not a hard job though time consuming.

The power steering box might be just a seal however if the shaft has worn then a rebuilt box is required at around £200

The swivel seal is easy enough £10 for the seal and an hour to fit.

I think it should be a good truck but is starting to head towards being expensive depending what you want to do with it

Matt