Fitting a full size IC

haakon

I've got a full size Allisport IC for a 200 tdi which I'm trying to fit into my 300tdi Defender. From what I see they are suppose to be same size and therefore I thought fitting should be straight forward. I'm however experiencing some difficulties :)

First, this is the bottom hose. Can I just cut off a part and fit a silicon hose?

Bilde219.jpg

Bilde218.jpg

Second, I think the IC is sitting a bit to much out towards the bumper. I normally have the front panel sitting behind the receiver here. Should the IC be sitting further back or is moving the front panel the only options? It seems to me that moving the front panel is a bit of hazzle..

Bilde224.jpg

The IC is pretty close to the radiator.

Bilde222.jpg

Brackets are fitted correct?

Bilde220.jpg

You might have problems getting the pipe to stay on if you cut the barb off the end of it.

Might be worth getting some mikalor supra (or similar) hose clamps, as they can apply much more clamping force to the hose unlike the worm drive clips that will start to jump if you go megatight.

You might have problems getting the pipe to stay on if you cut the barb off the end of it.

Might be worth getting some mikalor supra (or similar) hose clamps, as they can apply much more clamping force to the hose unlike the worm drive clips that will start to jump if you go megatight.

There is no requirement for the clips to be mega tight as the pressure is only 0.9 bar (12 - 15 psi) so you could probably hold it on securely with duck tape ! ............ just cut the pipe and fit a silicon hose secured with stainless steel jubilee clips..........

This months PPC has a car in the "walkers workshop" section that was blowing intercooler pipes off at 1bar of boost, due to having no barbs on the shiney stainless steel hardpipes he'd had fabricated.

Few years ago i put a 2.0 engine into my brothers nova, and used a short piece of copper pipe to join two hoses together that were carrying coolant back to the header tank. 10 miles into the test drive after a particularly brisk blast the car started billowing white "smoke". Turned out the hose connected with copper pipe had popped apart, and it was spewing steam out the now disconnected pipe joint. The coolant system runs <1 bar as the blowoff valve in the expansion tank opens at 1bar, yet the standard jubilee clips could not hold the pipe on that copper while under pressure. We ended up buying a proper barbed joiner from the local hydraulic place.

You might be lucky and never have an issue, but it can happen!

And I suppose that moving the radiator back isn't an option on a 300Tdi? That was what I did when converting from 2,5 n/a to 200Tdi. I used the donor Disco's radiator and full width I/C and since the radiator is too high I also moved it backwards.

Putting turbo hoses onto straight pipe doesn't work (for long). I know... I have had to flare the alli pipes to get the silicone hoses to stay on. Latest that popped off was after the motorway outside Askim on my way home from Suldal this summer. 120 kph uphill puts some stress on them hoses. :huh::) And once it slips off, it doesn't stay on if you put it back.

and used a short piece of copper pipe to join two hoses together that were carrying coolant back to the header tank.

I have a trick for doing this....buy yourself a fitting from a plumbing centre..as long as its compression it doesnt matter what it is. You can buy the olives off the shelf seperately.

What you do is...take your length of copper pipe, and fit the first end into the compression fitting as if you were doing some plumbing - do it up good and tight. Undo the nut, turn it round, put another olive on the pipe and replace in the fitting, and tighten up again. Loose the nut off again, saw through 2 flats and remove the nut from the pipe and hey presto - a pipe with flared ends! For extra security, a dab of solder can be put on the olives too, but If you do the nuts up good and tight you shouldn't need it, I've never had a problem. The jubilee clip must of course be fitted behind the olive. The oil pipes on my TDi are currently done this way, and have been fine for close to 2 years. That runs up to a maximum of 55psi or 3.74bar.

just use decent jubilee clips , they'll hold the hoses on. i had trouble with one silicon hose blowing off a straight piece of pipe when i first installed my intercooler. this was the first one out of the turbo which did not have a lip. i had used lubricant to get this particular hose on also, so to solve the problem i degreased both hose and pipe and fitted a higher torque jubilee clip. it has never blown off again and nor have any of the other connections in the system which do not have lips and which are secured with just ordinary jubilee clips.

you should be fine, a tdi is not running massive boost pressure.

I'm using plain pipe and had the devil's own job making the pipes stay on, especially at 2bar as I was learning to control the VGT.

A bead of weld around any (steel) pipe will work as a flare, but I've opted for three jubilee clips on each one instead, which seems to be holding ok.

If you do trim the pipe, stuff some rag in there first to stop yourself filling the i/c with cutting swarf. Ideally, blow compressed air into the other end to dissuade it?