Tail light earth

Hi,

I have just got home from a local journey (110 300tdi CSW) but while out, weird things happened with the lights - specifically the rear fog warning came on, and the trailer flasher light. These things seemed to happen especially when I used the brakes, so I stopped and had a look round and the nearside tail light was out. When I put on the hazard lights, it flashed in synch with the indicators. OK, I know this all points to earth problems. So my question is, could someone please tell me where the earth tags are for the rear lights, as it's cold & dark & wet out, I need to use the car, and I'd like to go straight to it and fix it. I had a search on here but couldn't find any reference to it.

Regards

Nigel

No I haven't changed a bulb recently, otherwise I agree it's a prime suspect. OK I did do a rear courtesy light one a couple of weeks ago but I can't see how that is anything but innocent bystander. I have just discovered the nearside lights are out because of a blown fuse, which when replaced lets them to work. I still think the problem is earth, and I have removed the rear covers over the lights, but the earth (black) wires are in the loom , ie there is no earth to chassis at that point. Does anyone know where the earth to chassis actually happens, specifically C812 & C813 on the wiring diagram?

Ok, well if anyone's interested, it turned out to be the wiring loom to the towing socket had rubbed through in places inside the taping, salt water had got in and was intermittently conducting. Still haven't figured out where the earth tags are, though it looks like the earths run right through the chassis loom to the front, and are connected via some large plugs under the air cleaner. The bullet connectors were a trip down memory lane, as I used to mess with (real) Minis and I have still got a few spares; mine weren't in too bad condition, though a bit of a check round of them now has to be on the to do list. Thanks for all your help.

Nigel

Still haven't figured out where the earth tags are, though it looks like the earths run right through the chassis loom to the front, and are connected via some large plugs under the air cleaner.

Sounds right, the light earths collect under a screw in the rear tub on each side, then the crossmember loom connects these and all this is then earthed in the engine compartment via two earths in the main loom :blink: .

I've added a strap from the off side screw to the chassis rail, just in case ...

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Nigel, I'm having this exact problem. I wasn't getting the trailer light at first because here in Spain the people like to disconnect stuff until the problem goes away. They had removed a wire from the flasher unit. If i give an earth to the trailer earth connection, the fuel pump runs and the problem goes away (fog lamp tell tale and flashing and glowing brake lights) but the trailer is flashing quickly without any trailer or indicators on. Did you ever find the earth's? I'm missing earth's here and don't want to be back feeding them through the trailer plug.  Any ideas anyone. ?

I think my rear lights are earthed to tags on the right side of the transfer box.Might be wrong, it ws a while ago, I have slept a bit since. However I subsequently discovered, if you have the wiring diagram, all these points have a reference which you can use to look up in the Electrical Library manual, and it usually shows a picture of the point, albeit in a clean and lovely condition.