Getting back to RTV trials

New Year's Resolution - use the LR more.

I used to compete in RTVs with BADLRC in the 1990s, but I moved away and used the truck for different things which now gives me a hotchpotch of specification. Now based in Gloucestershire, I'd like to have a crack at RTVs or winch challenges again. I don't want to damage it, I'm not too fussed about winning and not too bothered about bodywork scrapes etc but I can't trailer it to/from the events. Last time I tried my hand at one of JST's challenges, a lack of driver skill and some circumspect bitching (thanks Will Warne ;)) meant my Milemarker and Trutrac were hopelessly outclassed against the ARB'd tube-traybacks and I came away with a head-sized dent in the hardtop. The truck's spec is:

• 300Tdi auto Ninety hardtop
  • a little lift
  • 33" BFG MTs
  • TruTrac (not a locker) in the rear axle
  • Milemarker winch on the front
  • internal/external rollcage

Looking around, there aren't any ALRC clubs running RTVs nearby, though the AWDC are running an RTV next weekend between Bristol and Bath. It seems the diff is enough to force me out of standard class without actually being a locker, and the winch is enough to qualify me for events but slow enough to mean there's a queue behind me for each punch. I intend to go and spectate at the AWDC event next week to see if the world's moved on while I stood still, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

(And before anyone suggests it, I know I could take the rope off the winch, say nothing about the Trutrac and compete in standard class with a cage, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth so no :P)

New Year's Resolution - use the LR more.

I used to compete in RTVs with BADLRC in the 1990s, but I moved away and used the truck for different things which now gives me a hotchpotch of specification. Now based in Gloucestershire, I'd like to have a crack at RTVs or winch challenges again. I don't want to damage it, I'm not too fussed about winning and not too bothered about bodywork scrapes etc but I can't trailer it to/from the events. Last time I tried my hand at one of JST's challenges, a lack of driver skill and some circumspect bitching (thanks Will Warne ;)) meant my Milemarker and Trutrac were hopelessly outclassed against the ARB'd tube-traybacks and I came away with a head-sized dent in the hardtop. The truck's spec is:

• 300Tdi auto Ninety hardtop
  • a little lift
  • 33" BFG MTs
  • TruTrac (not a locker) in the rear axle
  • Milemarker winch on the front
  • internal/external rollcage

Looking around, there aren't any ALRC clubs running RTVs nearby, though the AWDC are running an RTV next weekend between Bristol and Bath. It seems the diff is enough to force me out of standard class without actually being a locker, and the winch is enough to qualify me for events but slow enough to mean there's a queue behind me for each punch. I intend to go and spectate at the AWDC event next week to see if the world's moved on while I stood still, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

(And before anyone suggests it, I know I could take the rope off the winch, say nothing about the Trutrac and compete in standard class with a cage, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth so no :P)

Your too honest for ur own good, Well done!

AWDC

Midland Off Road Club

Midwest off Road Club

They all run trials and punch hunt/challenge type events in Gloucestershire.

Thera is also the Cheltenham and Cotswold Landrover Owners Club,but they won't like the truetrac,and are a little too fussy about origionality for me.

Aside to your diff problems, I'm thinking about doing a few events this year (maybe some of JST's events and some of the challenger series)after I get my front winch bumper made and have already decided that I will have to camp for the weekend. This is not a problem as loads of the howling wolf guys say that the camp fire/bbq is half the fun.

Hope this helps.

Steve

from my experience of awdc trials go and take part the atmosphere is relaxed and your milemaker winch will come in handy as a rescue vehicle for the modified vehicles that end up over stretching themselves or getting it wrong.

If you go there initially just for the fun of it, it wont matter what class you are in.

In fact if you are happy to not have your points class for any championship there is a good chance that it will be anything goes.

John,

Just enter JST's events - contrary to popular belief, you don't have to beat the truck to a pulp to have a really good day out. (That is unless you are pot hunting ;) )

You just need a co-driver who understands what you are or are not willing to sacrifice for glory!

If I can complete a two day event with no damage at all in a station wagon then you have no excuse!

AWDC

Midland Off Road Club

Midwest off Road Club

They all run trials and punch hunt/challenge type events in Gloucestershire.

Thera is also the Cheltenham and Cotswold Landrover Owners Club,but they won't like the truetrac,and are a little too fussy about origionality for me.

all club that follow the ALRC rules are but that way we all have standered trucks and it's all down to the driver not the truck

Looking around, there aren't any ALRC clubs running RTVs nearby

Depends upon your definition of 'near by' :)

SCOR will be running RTVs at West Harptree (July 18th) and Aldermaston (June 6th). Aldermaston being a jaunt along the M4.

We have a very simple class system....there are only 2 of them :) and we use the MSA blue book, no ALRC rules to worry about. PM if you want more info.

Thanks guys - I need to get off my ar*e and enter something, anything, then! I'll be spectating at the AWDC event in Keynsham this weekend, and I'll have another think about winch events.

John, As you're going to be there, any chance you could take your camera along and get me some snaps for the club mag?

• 4 weeks later...