Headlight Problems

Hi All,

First off - Defender 200tdi (just before switch over to 300tdi)

Right - got a confusing problem going on with my headlights for the defender.

This seems to have happened since having a roll cage fitted just before christmas (however I cannot guarantee that there was not a problem before!)

When I push the light selector to 'side light' position, the side lights do not come on however the main lights come on at ~half power (dim dip thingy?) The main headlights flash when pulling the stick back (as normal) but do not stay on when pushing the stick forward (I don't know if this is normal as I have never tried it on side lights only!)

When I push the light selector switch full forward (main beam not full beam) The headlights go out, but the side lights come on. Then the full beam selector works in both directions (flash & fully on).

So, any ideas from the group. Earth wire got dislodged somewhere, could the dim dip part of everything have gone tit's up? Some wireing got fried during welding? I pulled the fuses but they all seemed fine. I've had a quick wobble of wires but as its cold and not a priorety I have not investigated fully yet!

Cheers

Andy

Hi All,

First off - Defender 200tdi (just before switch over to 300tdi)

Right - got a confusing problem going on with my headlights for the defender.

This seems to have happened since having a roll cage fitted just before christmas (however I cannot guarantee that there was not a problem before!)

When I push the light selector to 'side light' position, the side lights do not come on however the main lights come on at ~half power (dim dip thingy?) The main headlights flash when pulling the stick back (as normal) but do not stay on when pushing the stick forward (I don't know if this is normal as I have never tried it on side lights only!)

When I push the light selector switch full forward (main beam not full beam) The headlights go out, but the side lights come on. Then the full beam selector works in both directions (flash & fully on).

So, any ideas from the group. Earth wire got dislodged somewhere, could the dim dip part of everything have gone tit's up? Some wireing got fried during welding? I pulled the fuses but they all seemed fine. I've had a quick wobble of wires but as its cold and not a priorety I have not investigated fully yet!

Cheers

Andy

My Defender doesn't have dim/dip, but it does seem as if you've lost the feed to the dip beams. I'd check the fuse, then look at the switch itself. Sorting out my 1985 CSW I found a problem with a connector on the stalk itself.

Cheers

Peter

2 for the switch eh. Will have to check that out. the fuses all seem OK so...

I have had to replace the rear fog switch & the indicator stalk before so it would make sense that the light selector is going out as well. Maybe I should change the screen wash/wiper stalk while I'm at it!!!

At least it gives me an excuse to align my steering wheel properly! (I've been living with it 1 notch out for too long!)

Ta

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry to resurect an older post but don't want to start a new topic for the same thing!

Finally got time and fitted a new switch - no change in circumstances! The headlights still both go out completely when selecting main beam. Any suggestions as to what would affect both sides?

Ta

post up your rough location in your profile, some kind soul witha meter and some knowledge of electrickery may be able to come and have a butchers :rolleyes:

Doh - I actually thought I had filled in the Location bit (I've seen enough other people told off for it!!) Will go and update it now.

Western - thank for the suggestion. Would this be likely to affect both headlights?

IIRC the 200TDi Defenders don't have a headlight relay, just wired from the switch/power/earth

if a dim dip unit is fitted, it can make strange things happen with the headlights, the unit should be behind the instrument pack, a black box with a rigged face, pull the plug out & recheck light operation, if all is well [except dim dip headlights] you've solved the problem.

IIRC the 200TDi Defenders don't have a headlight relay, just wired from the switch/power/earth

if a dim dip unit is fitted, it can make strange things happen with the headlights, the unit should be behind the instrument pack, a black box with a rigged face, pull the plug out & recheck light operation, if all is well [except dim dip headlights] you've solved the problem.

Wereabouts would that resistor be? I've had the pass wing off & apart before and I don't have one (and the above pic looks like that area).

I've heard mention of the dim/dip relay before. is it just a case of pulling the connectors out of it, or do the two ends (so to speak) need to be connected.

Ta

• 4 years later...

look on the drivers side wing inner rear edge.

if you have that resistor & a pink bodied relay, IIRC 2 of the relay wires need to be connected to gain normal headlight operation.

sorry to revive such an old thread but i want rid of this resistor

ralph do you have any idea which two wires on the pink relay need connecting to gain normal headlight function?

thanks

tom