Defender doors

Alright,

Got my 86 Reg defender 90. Its had 2nd hand button push doors fitted (quite badly) over its original internal set handle doors.

The doors have been put on level with the body at the bottom and now there is a gaping gap around the top of the door, also the slight curviture on the door does not line up with the body curves.

Firstly are the doors interchangable from different years?, also how do you adjust the door hinges, are the dirty great big cross head screws tapped straight into the bulkhead? do you need something like an impact driver to get them out?

Mav

I've found it easiest to remove the striker plate from the door frame and fit the door to the frame. Then refit and adjust the striker to suit the door.

Plastic spacers can be used between the hinge/frame or hinge/door to adjust the door out/in. Securely fit the hinges to the door. Lightly nip the screws throught the hinges to the frame. Using a block of wood (to protect the hinge/bodywork), tap the hinges with a decent sized mallet and adjust the position of the door in the frame aperture. Once happy with the fit, tighten the screws and check all is still well.

hinge screws attach to 'J' nuts on the bulkhead,slacken the screws to adjust the doors position, all doors are interchangeable but use the matching lock striker for the doors you want to fit.

When Ive finished on the Mac challenge and have finished causing any damage I might do, the intention is to buy nice shiny new doors. Would it be advisable to purchase new lock strikers at the same time then to make sure????

Im hoping to refurb the vehicle this year and make it loook all gorgeous and lovely.

Apparantly my daughter wants it for herself when its finished.....fortunately I have a bit of time as she is only 10 still.

mind you....be a nice safe first car wont it!!!!

Neil

Just a note of caution, If the screws are original then they will be a Pozidrive No4. This is fairly unusual size and most impact driver sets only have a Pozidrive 3 bit. This will chew up the heads extremely easily! Get the right bit plus loads of releasing fluid and they should come out. Otherwise you have to drill the head off, which is fairly easy, take the hinge off and then you can get to the J nuts. If you go for stainless replacement J nuts and screws these tend to be Pozidrive 3 so you can't mix and match, you have to have the correct nut for the screw. Also if you go for later hinges which are more substantial, have less slop plus have nylon type washers, then 2 of the screws (for the door half) need to be longer than the originals. How do I know all this? Just done the hinges on my hard top. :rolleyes:

Malcolm

• 1 month later...