Range Rover / Discovery Handbrake Conversion to a Defender

Since buying my Defender earlier last year I'm really enjoying it with one or two exceptions which I plan to sort out when we have better weather and I've collected some parts. My first job will be to change the handbrake lever to a Disco or RRC typw mounted on the seat box by the drivers seat - I'm always banging my leg against the existing one and it seems so awkward to keep reaching down to use it.

I've found a write-up on how to do this, HERE. But I think this was done some time ago, so my questions are has anyone done this recently and, if so, are there any better ways of doing this or other alternatives before I start looking for parts?

Thanks, Henry.

A question for those of you who have converted to a Discovery or Range Rover hand brake lever.

How are you getting on with it ? Is it still comfortable to use ? Have you found that you needed to beef up the seat box at all?

I'll be doing this modification but before I start I'd like the benefit of other peoples experiences so that I can put fixes in for any issues during installation rather than modify afterwards :)

Many thanks

Mo

I fitted a Disco 2 lever to the top of the seatbox on mine a few months ago, one of the best & cheapest mods I ever did :D

The only extra bit I added was a reinforcing plate a bit bigger than the top mounting plate of the new lever, I made it up out of a bit of steel plate, about 3mm thick, to go under the seatbox to prevent the bolt holes from flexing and ripping through.

I also bolted on another bit of thinner plate that I made up to the the same size and shape as the original handbrake lever base to blank off all the original holes on the seatbox front.

No problems with it at all, the brake cable re-routed without a hitch and has worked a treat ever since and much easier to reach, especially on a bad slope where the seatbelt had locked you to the back of the seat.

You might just need to consider which donor lever you used to ensure compatability with the existing cable fitting, as I said, I used a Disco 2 lever for my Td5 90, earlier handbrake cables may have different fittings.

Apologies, part1cle, for my almost duplicate posting on this board. :) Perhaps the mods would merge these 2 threads ?

Mo

No probs - I was reading through and wondered why you asked the same question :lol: Thanks for merging them Ralph.

The link in Headhunters post doesn't seem to work for me, any one else had a problem?

The above comments about strengenthening the seat box all noted, thanks. Be good to know what cables fit which handbrake, mines a '98 90 but as the levers are cheap it will be easy enough to experiment.

Cheers, H.

The link in Headhunters post doesn't seem to work for me, any one else had a problem

that because the thread it went too, is now part of this thread, so no longer exist, read my 'edited' comment

This post has been edited by western: Today, 01:29 PM

Reason for edit:: threads merged now, so link is defunct.

Maurice, you know one can only have the best! A RR hand brake is the way forwards. :)

I replaced the center seatbox panel with a piece of steel with a stiffening plate welded to it underneath so that the hand brake lever was positioned between the stiffener and the stiffening in the seatbox itself.

With the RR lever you also get the switch for the parking brake light on the dash too. ;)

Is your spare one a black one, John ? If part1cle doesn't need it, perhaps you'd swap it for a couple of pints of that ale that you have a fondness for at the local ? :)

Mo

Be my guest! I can get one locally when I need one, no probs. Be glad when the weather gets back to normal to do some LR jobs - I can't quite get the 90 into my garage, it won't fit under the frame of the up and over door. Another job.....

H

• 7 years later...

Hi Mates, I am bringing back a thread from the dead lol.

I would like to do this mod but trying to establish the best hand brake lever to use on my 97 300TDI Defender 3 door station wagon. 

Some guys said they used the ones from the RR, maybe the RRC and one used one from a Dicso 2 on his TD5

I have access to one from a Disco 1 but dont know if it will work, which is the better option please, one from the RRC, Disco 2 or will the Disco 1 work too.

Thanks Mates.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, western said:

depends on the cable end fitting that attaches to the handbrake, pre 300tdi 90/110 had a fork end with a clevis pin & split pin connection. 

Mine is a 1997 300TDI so I dont think its the fork end style, I can double check.

Thanks.

Western mine is the newer style cable, rod and eye style, so the lever I have to use will have to be the same style.

The RRC seems to use the fork and clevis with the split pin and the Discover 1 and 2 with eye and rod style like the 97 Defender.

Thanks.

Hand Brake Cable.jpg

97 300TDI Hand Brake Lever.jpg

Edited by Sandy Landy