200 tdi discovery into a defender?

del

Hi all took my 90 into my mates garage last week to find out my 90s 19j turbo diesel engine has excessive crank case pressure and has developed oil leaks around the turbo, he recomended fitting a 200tdi from a discovery .What extra bits do I need for this job apart from the donor vehicle ? Surely I need a exhaust downpipe? ,do I need a wiring loom to link up the new engine? any advice would be welcome ,cheers del

Hi all took my 90 into my mates garage last week to find out my 90s 19j turbo diesel engine has excessive crank case pressure and has developed oil leaks around the turbo, he recomended fitting a 200tdi from a discovery .What extra bits do I need for this job apart from the donor vehicle ? Surely I need a exhaust downpipe? ,do I need a wiring loom to link up the new engine? any advice would be welcome ,cheers del

As Reb78 says, have a look at Les's excellent thread in the tech archive, it tells you all you need to know.

The wiring loom in your truck can be easily adapted to work with the 200Tdi disco engine. Other than that you will need to either make or buy an exhaust downpipe. Les's thread shows you how to make your own or you can buy one from Steve Parker off the bay of E.

It's a very simple transplant which has great results.

When I did a 200 tdi disco engine conversion to a 110 I used bizarrely enough the original engine loom from the engine I took out which was a 2.5 petrol engine, this made life a little easier to say the least-it worked as it should, the only thing I remember having to change was the cable ends that went onto the alternator-it originally had the old plug on it which got replaced by ring terminals, it routed the same way and caused me no problems at all, With you already having the TD engine in there then attaching the glow plug wiring will be a no brainer anyway

HTH

John

a week ago i took out a 19j and replaced it with a 200tdi from a defender. not me personally but the engine came from craddocks and it comes with EVERYTHING!!!

the mechanic says its like changing a light bulb.

costs a wee bit more for the engine but a disco engine will cost 400 then i suppose 250-350 for the other bits plus the mechanic (unless your gonna diy) itll probably be better in the long run to buy a straight swap.

Is there a guide to fitting a 300tdi auto into a defender? i looked through but couldnt spot one?

Don't think anyone on here has tried that swap yet, you can be the first & write a fitting guide :lol:

I've just recently done a 200tdi disco conversion into my 110.

Steve parker do all the hoses / exhaust bar the oil cooler pipes which went to Pirtek for extension.

Sure it can be a bit of a pig of a job, but the difference is amazing!

It pulls up hills, MPG this side of bankrupcy as opposed to 19j MPG = one way trip to the asylum!

The rad will need fettling but apart from that, fairly straight forward.

Hope all goes well.

Hi

Did this a few years ago and if you get the conversion kit from Steve Parkers you add alot of money! You should be able to pick up a 200 lump for £450 to £500 with rad, intercooler even PAS if you are lucky. What we did was take some pictures of the Disco lump, a 200TDi Defender Lump and the original engine along to a 'sortout' and managed to pick up general bits of hose and tube to do the plumbing. In the end I think the intercooler was plumbed in upside down but seemed to work. The only problem items were the turbo to downpipe connecton and the oil cooler hoses. With the oil cooler pipes we just took the ones off the Disco to a hydraulic pipe place and got them to extend them but with the manifold bit I we did have to go to Steve Parker in the end. Saying that, if you are any good with a welder and have some time it is possible to make up a section from the downpipe from a 300TDi IIRC.

HTH

Andy

I started my engine today. I recondition it, so I couldn`t try it yet.

280120101206.jpg

Here is my conversion.

I would need some help with transfer box change.

In my defender I have LT77 gearbox. I heard it is possible to put in the disco transfer box for higer gearing. From which disovery do I need box. What modifications will I have to make?

Thanks