i think my engine is dieing??

hi all..

i have the gut feeling my engine is dieing..

it all started today was fine when i left my grand pearent.

not home sounded fine.. but iv just got back to writtle and its sounding lumpy on idle,

it breathing really badly.. there is a squeek coming from some where, the really heavey breathing does down when rev'ed,

and when im driving it still doesnt sound as smooth or a quiert as it did..

oh the squeek is random? sounds like its comming from nereside bottom of engine?

been serviced every 3000 miles from new and it now done 205500 miles today!!!

anyideas? im going to have a good look tomorrow in daylight but thats what i have found so far?

cheers

sam

Assuming its a 200tdi (going by your signiture) the squek could be the bearings or just dirt in the alternator, as for the brething im not an expert by any means and will proberly get corrected but i would check/clean or just replace the crankcase brether bolted to the side of the rocker cover and check all related pipes for blockages.

HTH

ethan

Assuming its a 200tdi (going by your signiture) the squek could be the bearings or just dirt in the alternator, as for the brething im not an expert by any means and will proberly get corrected but i would check/clean or just replace the crankcase brether bolted to the side of the rocker cover and check all related pipes for blockages.

HTH

ethan

well im usualy pretty good at finding things but this has beten me.. im just thinking worst case senario..

well as i said i will have proper good look tomorrow...

yeah i see where your comming from.. a mate had a 200tdi 90 and it just ramdomly started breathing and then died..

my engine is doing the same as what his did :( .. will be most upset it was lol

I know nuffink about TDi's but you don't want to find out the hard way that it's breathing enough to run away on its own vapours. :ph34r:

well i will do what the other chao said to compression test it.. i have a lecture on tuesday to do with mechanics.

i dont have the foggiest on compression testing.. so i might ask if we can do it as part of the lecture..

the breathing it so bad i can smell rather badly inside the truck.. while driving..

cheers

sam

i had the exact same symptons a while back and even got an engine lined up. took the advice of a much more knowledgable friend and whipped the head off to find the head gasket had gone between the pushrod tube and the piston which pressurised the crankcase and made it breathe really heavy and sound terrible. 3 weeks later a mates did the same....

i had the exact same symptons a while back and even got an engine lined up. took the advice of a much more knowledgable friend and whipped the head off to find the head gasket had gone between the pushrod tube and the piston which pressurised the crankcase and made it breathe really heavy and sound terrible. 3 weeks later a mates did the same....

ahh i did think that.. looks like il might be changing the head gaskit then.. cheers for that. it makes sence now

well thats okay. will give me a change de-coke the cylinder while im in there..

well i know what im doing at the weekend lol..

cheers

sam

I think this is a little more then cylinder head gaskit????

It now sounds lke miss firing? loss power? breath soo bad i get smoked out inside? loads and loads on white smoke out of exhaust? and heavey breathing out from bottom off block!.

i have cracked all the injectors open.. no.1 had a bad knocking and no change in how it ran no.2.3.4 did what they usualy do when you crack open injectors.

but im consurned about cylinder no.1.. knocking ont the inkectors is when the fuel is not igniteing properly!!

here is the video i got today! Clicky

post-13115-126479913393_thumb.jpg

have the injectors tested for correct spray pattern & working pressures, sounds like the number 1 is duff

going by that photo, I'd say the head gasket has gone too or a broken piston ring.

well yeah. i do have the suspission of the rings on no 1.

ill just have to pul the head of and have a look..

the only way to find out.. if is the rings and gaskit.. time to sell i recon..

shes had a hard life lol

cheers

sam

Watched the vid. It sounds like shes got valve blow by or the head gaskit has gone beween cylinders. Had it happen to a fergi 35 tractor (yes the four cylinder one for thows in the know).

okay cheers.. i didnt want to hear that.. as i have a mf 35 4cylinder. lol

cheers

sam

here is the update chaps..

cheers flatback90.. you was spot on.. on cylinder no;1 split between the pushrod and cylinder..

i was over exaggerating a bit on the knackerd engine.

i give it its due.. 205000 miles and this is the only thing wrong with the engine since new!!

heres the photo of the gasket.. all the smokes is explained by that bloody huge split!

cheers gents

sam

post-13115-126494661622_thumb.jpg

here is the update chaps..

cheers flatback90.. you was spot on.. on cylinder no;1 split between the pushrod and cylinder..

i was over exaggerating a bit on the knackerd engine.

i give it its due.. 205000 miles and this is the only thing wrong with the engine since new!!

heres the photo of the gasket.. all the smokes is explained by that bloody huge split!

cheers gents

sam

also i forgot to mention.. i have a glow plug tip snap in the head and 2 injectors will not come out?

tryed wd40.. try coka cola.. they still wont budge!

i cant get the glow plug tip out with out going damage to the head..

anyone have a any bright idea.. wil it a good idea to use some heat? but wont that warp it?

cheers

sam

got some good and bad news lol..

good news - got the head back.. £210.15p they did a lot of work on it.. got it back on. lovely job..

bad news - while turning it over.. the back cylinder was knocking and banging like hell.. and it sounds like it hydrolocked..

thats the only thing i can think of as there was alot of oil in the back cylinder when i took the head of!!

so my engine is dead after all!!!! lol

cheers for all your help!

sam

Not ness dead as you say mate, you may be able to repair what you have by replacing the con-rod on the affected piston! all I'm sure will have happened is the con-rod will be bent as the piston couldn't compress the oil in the bore that's all,I'm sure someone an adult perhaps will be along to say yes or no to what I've just put

HTH

John

• 1 month later...

the con-rod wasnt hydrolock.

i think somthing slipped in when i put it all back together. the piston was hammers to hell and back and so is.. anooying when i spent all that money on

so i need to get another head.. i also had all the bottom end done..

heres the picture off the piston that come out. little messy.. didnt know that much damage can happen in not even in one min.

and also a pisture of the pistons when i put it back together!

post-13115-126834278974_thumb.jpg

post-13115-126834289227_thumb.jpg