security posts

JimHepburn

I'm getting very paranoid, over the past few weeks there have been over 12 defenders locally stolen. I even had the community police knocking on the door to tell me to keep a look out and keep mine locked! Not really wanting to talk about specific vehicle security on an open forum but does anybody use a securtiy post. Do you think their anygood. Thanks Jim.

I'm sure I've used a Series 3 to push over an unwanted security post to get it out of the ground, fairly effortless.

To be honest if someone wants your vehicle then no matter what you do they can always just pick it up with a crane. Chain it to the ground and they can cut the chain.

I suppose the other option is to use a tracker so that it can be traced more quickly or make it so awkward to access that you don't get to enjoy it when you want to.

"I'm sure I've used a Series 3 to push over an unwanted security post to get it out of the ground, fairly effortless"

Depends on the type of post.

A decent one like the Centinel is VERY strong. I bought one to help protect my dads £70K motorcaravan and it is a real beast (put it like this, he forgot to remove it one day, did a shed load of damage to the motorcaravan but the post was barely scratched). I also saw the post that prevented the theft of the car they use in their publicity photos, car completely trashed and the post as almost unmarked.

Certainly £150 well spent

It needs to be a proper one, made from the correct hardened steel and concreted at least 18" into the ground. That's what we were told at work when enquiring about them.

If it's not dug in deep, it'll just fall over easily. If it's the wrong kind of steel then a minute or two with an angle grinder and it's out of the way.

post-13771-126523282759_thumb.jpg

I have a post fitted, as well as a clutch claw.

If some one turns up with a crane or helicopter, it is usless, as is all other security. I have full faith in my post as i fitted it myself. If you tried to cut post or ram it, it would make more noise than any alarm, and mine is close enough that you can not get a run up. The product it very well made and has helped my sleeping no end.

Highly recomend. Why try to take a Land Rover with a post, clutch claw, and........................, when there are easier ones??

Andy

Andy - is that the one from Noisekiller?

Yes, it is, I am very happy with it, Nice build quality and good instructions. You can also buy an extra base for it, so that you can use else where, that is what I plan to do, so that when not in front of Landy it will be in front of garage.

Andy

no goood if the bad guys have a truck with a hiab crane fitted to it,

Yes, but Ralph how many car thieves drive around with cranes or hiabs??

I don't know, but I expect it to be the exception rather than a daily occurrence.

The fact is that items like mechlock, decent security posts etc do act as good deterrents to the majority of car thieves.

Steve

post-13771-126523282759_thumb.jpg

I have a post fitted, as well as a clutch claw.

If some one turns up with a crane or helicopter, it is usless, as is all other security. I have full faith in my post as i fitted it myself. If you tried to cut post or ram it, it would make more noise than any alarm, and mine is close enough that you can not get a run up. The product it very well made and has helped my sleeping no end.

Highly recomend. Why try to take a Land Rover with a post, clutch claw, and........................, when there are easier ones??

Andy

We have two of these on the front of our yard, a couple of years ago we had a ram raid. The post did its job and stood firm although one is now slightly shorter than the other.

Whilst Posts are great at home, Tesco get a bit Pi**ed if you start fitting them in their car park!! I would recomend that as well as physical security Mec Lock etc you consider getting a traker, Trackers can be brought/fitted for around £150 with £360 lifetime subscription or £100 per year if you kept it for 5 years and better the longer you keep it.

Lets face it even if you are insured you are never going to get your cash back for all the little bits, I recon the £500 was the best extra I ever added!! I would go for a tracker though as the GPS ones don't work if it is stuck in a container in a port!!